Brandon Scherff hurt again, helped off field

naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, Woz said:

At a minimum, 3 of the 4 picks they have in the upcoming draft need to be focused on the offensive line.

There is that other way of adding talent that they could explore too. 

Hard to get much actual talent that way, though, when you treat the modern FA market like a toddler treats the cold waves at the beach.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They need to be drafting at least 2 offensive linemen every year.  Sometimes throw in a third for good measure. 

The problem isn't volume it is quality.  We draft guys in the 4th round and think we are investing.  Christian, drafted in the 3rd was the last guy we drafted before the mid rounds.  The last serious pick we made was Scherff in 2015.  5 years.

Offensive tackle Saahdiq Charles, most notably, has been a full participant all week, and Ron Rivera said a couple days ago that Charles is “competing”.

From Riggos Rag.

Charles should be seeing the field next week. So things will get better. (Cause they sure cant get any worse)

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

The problem isn't volume it is quality.  We draft guys in the 4th round and think we are investing.  Christian, drafted in the 3rd was the last guy we drafted before the mid rounds.  The last serious pick we made was Scherff in 2015.  5 years.

Yeah, and they should also be quality guys too, but the idea of bringing in fresh bodies on the OL every year is also to have plenty of competition and in the case of injury, you've got the next man up readily available.  Injuries hurt everywhere, but the offensive line, they can hurt the most.  

We have a very good offensive line coach, but we are also switching playbooks and blocking systems this year as well.  Some regression- even off of a terrible year last year- should be expected, both on the OL and across the rest of the offense

• Like 1

I think saying we need a whole new OL in kinda extreme. We lost a top 3 LT this offseason so there was a hole. Schreff hurt again so I mean can we rely on him? Would I let him just walk? No. Would I give him high guarantees? No. But I resign him hopefully he can come back and just hold up to finish this year out. Moses has seemed to found more drive this year. Hopefully that continues he has the talent and he’s I’m much better shape. Charles I believe will be our LG of the future and our Center has actually looked very well outside of I’d say 6 reps I’ve noticed this year. Yes a Sewell or Jaylon Mayfield, would be amazing here. I think we just ran into a buzz saw this week I think we put plenty on tape for the coaches to work with guys on this week. I expect improvements up front against Cleveland.

11 hours ago, Woz said:

At a minimum, 3 of the 4 picks they have in the upcoming draft need to be focused on the offensive line.

But you need to somewhat hit on them. Looking back on ALL of our o-line picks the last decade (and we've had a decent amount), we really haven't HIT on too many. 

Trent Williams - hit (1st)

Maurice Hurt - nope (7th)

Tom Compton - has had a long backup career, but not with us. Journeyman. (6th)

Morgan Moses - hit (3rd)

Josh LeReibus - 3rd. SUCKED.

Spencer Long - mixed (3rd) still in the NFL but not with us. Got overpaid. 

Brandon Scherff - more good than bad (1st), but always hurt and might be overrated.

Austin Reiter - 7th - plays for KC, but I don't think he's amazing or anything? Either way not with us.

Chase Roullier - starts and sucks (6th)

Geron Christian - starts and sucks (3rd)

Wes Martin (4th) - starts and sucks

Ross Piersbacher - (5th) sucks. PS.