Week 3 GDT - New York Giants vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What kind of deal can we expect for Warner? He breaks the LB market? 

For some reason, I don't think that he breaks the market...unless he lands an all pro nod. But it's going to be high. The problem for him is the nobody knows what the market will be, so it's hard to guestimate. In a normal offseason? I'd probably project something in the 17 million per year area...he lands the all pro nod, maybe he's closer to 18...but with a potentially huge decrease in cap next season, it may actually be to his benefit to wait and see what the cap bounce back is in 2 years before committing to any sort of extension. that's what I would do. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

For some reason, I don't think that he breaks the market...unless he lands an all pro nod. But it's going to be high. The problem for him is the nobody knows what the market will be, so it's hard to guestimate. In a normal offseason? I'd probably project something in the 17 million per year area...he lands the all pro nod, maybe he's closer to 18...but with a potentially huge decrease in cap next season, it may actually be to his benefit to wait and see what the cap bounce back is in 2 years before committing to any sort of extension. that's what I would do. 

I would also imagine once we pay Fred that Kwon is definitely gone. I know the rumor in the beginning of the year was that he was already on the trade block. I would imagine we will also draft Kwon’s replacement or get someone on the cheap through free agency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

17M for a LB is kind of wild, but that's probably what it will take. And yeah, he may just wait it out another year when the cap increases but can't he just sign a deal where his APY increases as the cap increases? Wasn't that discussed for Kittle? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

17M for a LB is kind of wild, but that's probably what it will take. And yeah, he may just wait it out another year when the cap increases but can't he just sign a deal where his APY increases as the cap increases? Wasn't that discussed for Kittle? 

I mean, that's basically just backloading the deal, but how do you know exactly what that cap is going to jump to? If it drops to 177 next year, are we projecting that it will get all of the cap back the following year to jump back up to 200 or 210, or do we expect it to go up to like 185? When the cap was 185, the top linebacker contract was like 12 million or something. Now you have Wagner and Moseley at 17-18. So there's a huge risk from the team standpoint to pay him based on recent history, and if you push it too far out, it doesn't make any sense for Warner because he doesn't see that money until then. 

So you could supplement with a huge signing  bonus, but thus far, that's not an avenue that the team has done a whole lot of, and if anything, I'd wager that covid slows that down even more. We aren't a cash rich franchise to be popping out major signing bonuses and the like. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, that's basically just backloading the deal, but how do you know exactly what that cap is going to jump to? If it drops to 177 next year, are we projecting that it will get all of the cap back the following year to jump back up to 200 or 210, or do we expect it to go up to like 185? When the cap was 185, the top linebacker contract was like 12 million or something. Now you have Wagner and Moseley at 17-18. So there's a huge risk from the team standpoint to pay him based on recent history, and if you push it too far out, it doesn't make any sense for Warner because he doesn't see that money until then. 

So you could supplement with a huge signing  bonus, but thus far, that's not an avenue that the team has done a whole lot of, and if anything, I'd wager that covid slows that down even more. We aren't a cash rich franchise to be popping out major signing bonuses and the like. 

But how about when it becomes a 17 game season? How does that work? Does every players salary automatically increase for the additional game on the schedule? 

I agree that it is a risk, but Warner waiting past this offseason could be considered a risk as well. If he gets the 17M or so, he will certainly have deserved it. But at that point, Kwon would have to go. Can't allocate that much money to your LB group. And I'm sure that's exactly what will happen. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But how about when it becomes a 17 game season? How does that work? Does every players salary automatically increase for the additional game on the schedule? 

So far as I know, there is no change to existing salaries / contracts. Their game checks would just be reduced to accommodate 17 games. Now, I'm not 100% certain on that, but I Haven't heard of any existing contracts being adjusted. 

Just now, Forge said:

So far as I know, there is no change to existing salaries / contracts. Their game checks would just be reduced to accommodate 17 games. Now, I'm not 100% certain on that, but I Haven't heard of any existing contracts being adjusted. 

I'm surprised Sherman and the players didn't fight for a change there. Not fair to players who were on deals before the 17 game schedule. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm surprised Sherman and the players didn't fight for a change there. Not fair to players who were on deals before the 17 game schedule. 

So I was a little wrong based on the info I have found, however the players didn't get a full extra payment. They do get an extra game check, however it's only up to 250K, so anyone making a base salary over 4 million would not get a full additional game check. If they make 4 million or less, they would get a full, additional game check. 

On 9/30/2020 at 12:49 AM, N4L said:

Kinlaw gets me so hyped. I loved what I saw from him in college, but he did not look like this. He is doing some very technical things here with tying his feet and his hands together. He has really quick, powerful hands. 

I knew he would flash and make some splash plays for us, but he is certainly ahead of schedule from a technical standpoint. 

IN KOCUREK WE TRUST

Honestly, his comp is Chris Jones. Similar builds. Kinlaw might be more of a quick twitch athlete, whereas jones is very smooth when he moves. Lots of similarities in their game though

where is @sherm? Time to take some credit big boy, bask in the glory that is Kinlaw

I'm around just haven't posted this season...lol Checked out thinking the season wasn't gonna happen and just have never been all in yet. Watched every play so far so I've seen our rookies...Aiyuk and big boy Kinlaw. Makes me very happy. 

• Like 1