Chubb update

malibuspeedrace

On 10/6/2020 at 9:36 PM, buno67 said:

Looked fine for the 4th string RB.  Now if he was our 1st string we be screwed. There is no FA that makes you go “we gotta have that guy”

Depending on how Johnson looks over the next month or so, I’d definitely like to see AB bring in a RB next April on day 3.

We don’t need a plug and play star obv, but a longer term play behind Chubb and Hunt would be wise.

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Depending on how Johnson looks over the next month or so, I’d definitely like to see AB bring in a RB next April on day 3.

We don’t need a plug and play star obv, but a longer term play behind Chubb and Hunt would be wise.

Oh for sure. Well they need to do that to just prepare for the departure of Chubb or Hunt in a few years. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Oh for sure. Well they need to do that to just prepare for the departure of Chubb or Hunt in a few years. 

That, plus, if we’re planning on being a team that runs the ball 30 times a game with 2 backs getting a decent about of PT, you really need 3 good backs for a situation like we’re seeing now.

Maybe that guy is Johnson for this year and next, we’ll see, but I’d still like to see them take a swing on someone next April.

I could see drafting a depth guy at RB, or not, there are some available to sign every year for cheap who can fill that role but It seems like it would be easier to just wait until we need to draft a starter than draft one late and keep him around a few years. You're more likely to get a stud getting one in the 2nd round the year  you need him than a 6th rounder 3 years early getting him ready. He'll almost be a free agent by then anyway.

Certainly no big deal with what we do with day 3 picks so I'm not against it but with RB being a plug and play position where their best years are usually their first few I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it. I also want to give Chubb a 2nd contract. Even if he breaks down he deserves that thank you.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I also want to give Chubb a 2nd contract. Even if he breaks down he deserves that thank you.

We’re not Detroit. We’ve been good to our players historically (Phil Dawson, Josh Cribbs, and Joe Thomas).

Mitchell Schwartz is the only guy we had a bad falling out with. It wasn’t even the franchise fault. Schwartz tried to get a ton of money out of us and it didn’t work.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We’re not Detroit. We’ve been good to our players historically (Phil Dawson, Josh Cribbs, and Joe Thomas).

Mitchell Schwartz is the only guy we had a bad falling out with. It wasn’t even the franchise fault. Schwartz tried to get a ton of money out of us and it didn’t work.

Well we all thought Schwartz was just above average and his team obviously thought he was better. They were right. Still, we didn't have to remove our offer when he decided to accept the offer later, that was definitely a mistake and not a great look. At least that is what I think happened unless I'm mixing people up.

37 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well we all thought Schwartz was just above average and his team obviously thought he was better. They were right. Still, we didn't have to remove our offer when he decided to accept the offer later, that was definitely a mistake and not a great look. At least that is what I think happened unless I'm mixing people up.

I still don’t think the team was the bad guy. They made him an offer before he even visit any where, It turned out there offer was the best one by far. 

i don’t blame the team for changing their offer. He went out to test the market to try and force the browns to change their offer to pay him more. He finds out he wasn’t going to get paid that much. He set his value and the browns adjusted to it.

browns were loyal, Schwartz didn’t care for it, he wanted to play business, so the browns followed suit.

not like Schwartz was the model of consistency. He was good his 1st yr and 4yr and kinda below avg his 2nd yr and 3rd yr

Edited by buno67

55 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Browns reniged on their offer to Schwartz and were in the wrong ethically and strategically because he went to KC and has continued being amazing. Lucky for him though. 

Yeah, no. Nothing they did was unethical.

They offered him a deal and he chose to test the market.  When the market sucked he thought he would come right back and get the same deal but that had been pulled.

The original deal they offered was better than what he signed for.

He wanted to use FA to leverage the Browns and when it didn’t work he wanted them to act as if the circumstances hadn’t changed.

Ultimately resigning him would have been the right move, but he definitely wasn’t great here.  He played really well his first and 4th seasons and struggles years 2 and 3.  It wasn’t like they let a surefire stud out the door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

I still don’t think the team was the bad guy. They made him an offer before he even visit any where, It turned out there offer was the best one by far. 

i don’t blame the team for changing their offer. He went out to test the market to try and force the browns to change their offer to pay him more. He finds out he wasn’t going to get paid that much. He set his value and the browns adjusted to it.

browns were loyal, Schwartz didn’t care for it, he wanted to play business, so the browns followed suit.

not like Schwartz was the model of consistency. He was good his 1st yr and 4yr and kinda below avg his 2nd yr and 3rd yr

There’s no loyalty in sports lmao. He went out and got the most money he could get. The browns were in the wrong for not matching it or even franchising him to begin with. He could have been our replacement for joe when he retired. 

There wasn't anything unethical about the Browns pulling their offer but it was another in a long line of non player friendly events.

As far as him being all pro after leaving you could say we were bad at evaluating what was right in front of us but that would surprise no one.

He got his championship and Cam Erving took over without missing a beat. It was a win-win for both sides.

25 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s no loyalty in sports lmao. He went out and got the most money he could get. The browns were in the wrong for not matching it or even franchising him to begin with. He could have been our replacement for joe when he retired. 

Our initial offer was reportedly more than what he signed for.