Should we be terrified of Jack Easterby?

ObotimusPrime

I've only heard bad things about these last two days, and it seems that he's power hungry. 

I'm afraid he is trying to coup the GM spot and we all know if anyone would give it to him, it'd be Cal. Very scared we are about to take two steps back.

Edited by ObotimusPrime

I actually think Easterby would have been gone if he wasn't so involved with the Covid-19 response at NRG. He's handling a lot of non-football related items, so I THINK a jump to football related tasks isn't on the table.

I could be wrong, though.

• Like 1

Why do you think Cal would give him that GM spot? Cal has proven to us that he is ready to win for this team.

When you think about it more, O'Brien has probably been on the hotseat since his 0-3 start in 2018, of course he gave Bill three seasons to sort it out.

If you are going to respond with "But he gave Bill GM", I've read that more on Bill being annoying, getting Gaine and Rick Smith fired and constantly bothering him about GM moves so he said "Okay its your team, show me what you can do with it"

Not the same as Bob McNair at all.

2 hours ago, Drained said:

Why do you think Cal would give him that GM spot? Cal has proven to us that he is ready to win for this team.

When you think about it more, O'Brien has probably been on the hotseat since his 0-3 start in 2018, of course he gave Bill three seasons to sort it out.

If you are going to respond with "But he gave Bill GM", I've read that more on Bill being annoying, getting Gaine and Rick Smith fired and constantly bothering him about GM moves so he said "Okay its your team, show me what you can do with it"

Not the same as Bob McNair at all.

Well I hope ET is right, but I don't think just because Cal fired Bob means he's ready to give this team a REAL identity and culture by making smart hires. But I admit, my fear is comes from a lot of media saying that Easterby has Cal's ear and will influence who's chosen as the next GM and coach.

There is this biased article from a Boston sports journal written about him after he left. They sound really jaded but it's always better to hear glowing reviews when someone leaves a team right?  https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2019/06/18/bedard-patriots-burning-mad-jack-easterby-texans/

There's also this PFT segment in which they discuss Easterby as well: 

Wouldn't be surprised this just turn out to be all smoke, but alas, I'm still worried.

1 minute ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Well I hope ET is right, but I don't think just because Cal fired Bob means he's ready to give this team a REAL identity and culture by making smart hires. But I admit, my fear is comes from a lot of media saying that Easterby has Cal's ear and will influence who's chosen as the next GM and coach.

There is this biased article from a Boston sports journal written about him after he left. They sound really jaded but it's always better to hear glowing reviews when someone leaves a team right?  https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2019/06/18/bedard-patriots-burning-mad-jack-easterby-texans/

There's also this PFT segment in which they discuss Easterby as well: 

Wouldn't be surprised this just turn out to be all smoke, but alas, I'm still worried.

Cal confirmed in the last hour Easterby will not take over as permanent GM, he is looking for a GM now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ObotimusPrime said:
1 hour ago, Drained said:

Cal confirmed in the last hour Easterby will not take over as permanent GM, he is looking for a GM now. 

Well, there is some relief.

Indeed. Here's your first football. 😀

21 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Y’all see the Florio report digging into Esterby’s resume and he lied about his job role with the Jags....

That's a dealbreaker. He's gone as soon as the clock strikes 00:00 during W17 (or after our playoff loss...)

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's a dealbreaker. He's gone as soon as the clock strikes 00:00 during W17 (or after our playoff loss...)

From the sounds of it, he’s done an amazing job with the Covid stuff and protocols and updates to the building. I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him as the VP of football ops, but I don’t want him near the actually football details. But him being a power hungry guy me thinks he’ll bounce after the season and try to find his next victim. 

2 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

From the sounds of it, he’s done an amazing job with the Covid stuff and protocols and updates to the building

Unlike his psuedo GM duties with BoB, Easterby is working with Geoff Kaplan, who is probably one of the top Trainers/Director of Medical Services in the league. 

Kaplan is the man with the plan, Easterby is more or less clapping and cheering him on.

As long as Cal sticks to his word and puts Esterby back to his current (pre-firing position) and hires a legit GM to run things, I am ok with him. For now. But this season, we need someone to handle calls with teams about trades and signing street free agents during the week, including setting up workouts and interviews. I am ok with him doing that temporarily.  

• Like 1