What players have had hof seasons but not hof careers?

Kiwibrown

On 10/9/2020 at 7:22 PM, thebestever6 said:

Not hall of fame Worthy but Riley Cooper looked like a number one wr in 2013 850 yards 8 tds. He was a number fourth or five any other year

Number one wide receiver with 850 yards? Jesus, between that and Brock Osweiler having a "hit season" at any point in his career, you have weird standards for players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Number one wide receiver with 850 yards? Jesus, between that and Brock Osweiler having a "hit season" at any point in his career, you have weird standards for players.

You're being a little ridiculous nitpicking Alshon Jeffrey has gotten 14 million per year from the Eagles as a number one wr and hasn't broken 850 yards.

I stand by that statement I didn't say elite number one but he looked like a number one that year.

RG3
Collin Kaepernick
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Tony Romo
Daunte Culpepper

Priest Holmes
Larry Johnson
Jamaal Charles
CJ2K
Edgerrin James
DeMarco Murray
Jamaal Lewis
Steven Jackson
Tiki Barber

... the list is actually pretty long...

Edited by wackywabbit

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You're being a little ridiculous nitpicking Alshon Jeffrey has gotten 14 million per year from the Eagles as a number one wr and hasn't broken 850 yards.

I stand by that statement I didn't say elite number one but he looked like a number one that year.

Wait, you mean the Alshon Jeffrey that had 1,400 yards his second year in the league? The Alshon Jeffrey that would've probably gone over 1,000 a couple years ago if he wasn't injured (and missed that 850 number by like 7 yards despite the missed games)? The guy whose contract how averages less than 14 mil/year actually, and puts him at like, the 18th highest AAV among wide receivers? And many Philly fans would say still hasn't lived up to that contract?

That's a bad comparison. Jeffrey has accomplished like 5x what Cooper has in this league, and I still doubt many would consider Jeffrey a true #1 WR.

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Wait, you mean the Alshon Jeffrey that had 1,400 yards his second year in the league? The Alshon Jeffrey that would've probably gone over 1,000 a couple years ago if he wasn't injured (and missed that 850 number by like 7 yards despite the missed games)? The guy whose contract how averages less than 14 mil/year actually, and puts him at like, the 18th highest AAV among wide receivers? And many Philly fans would say still hasn't lived up to that contract?

That's a bad comparison. Jeffrey has accomplished like 5x what Cooper has in this league, and I still doubt many would consider Jeffrey a true #1 WR.

I'm not talking about careers dude stop it you're sounding worse. And Alshon wasn't living up to the hype in Philly yet they doubled down and gave him extension even tho he didn't break 850 yards receiving. Now we're bringing up injuries sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Bottom line, in 2013 Riley Cooper looked somewhat passable as a number one wr in an offense.

Anquan Boldin in 2012 had a niche over 850 yards at 921 in2012 yet the masses consider him a number one that year and a key component to that playoff run. 

I'm done debating Riley Cooper for that one year he looked pretty nasty as a deep threat it was a flash in the pan I'm not trying to pimp out his career.

25 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm not talking about careers dude stop it you're sounding worse. And Alshon wasn't living up to the hype in Philly yet they doubled down and gave him extension even tho he didn't break 850 yards receiving. Now we're bringing up injuries sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Bottom line, in 2013 Riley Cooper looked somewhat passable as a number one wr in an offense.

Anquan Boldin in 2012 had a niche over 850 yards at 921 in2012 yet the masses consider him a number one that year and a key component to that playoff run. 

I'm done debating Riley Cooper for that one year he looked pretty nasty as a deep threat it was a flash in the pan I'm not trying to pimp out his career.

I was saying Alshon's contract was based seasons that were WAY better than RIley Cooper's best season. You said RC's best season was WR1-worthy. I disagree.

And yes being out for a quarter of the season but still putting up similar yardage to RC is certainly worth noting.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan

Edgerrin James
Steven Jackson
Tiki Barber

... the list is actually pretty long...

You should of had a smaller list from the jump. Several of those players have had HOF career type numbers or were/are on pace.  None probably getting in but close non the less. None apply to what the OP was asking IMO. 

Not one of them only had 1 great season.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I was saying Alshon's contract was based seasons that were WAY better than RIley Cooper's best season. You said RC's best season was WR1-worthy. I disagree.

And yes being out for a quarter of the season but still putting up similar yardage to RC is certainly worth noting.

But it wasn't lol he got a one year deal when he came to Philly and they extended him without the elite numbers in their system.  Riley Cooper missed a game too in 2013 what you want me to say? Best ability is availability Alshon has always been injury prone.

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But it wasn't lol he got a one year deal when he came to Philly and they extended him without the elite numbers in their system.  Riley Cooper missed a game too in 2013 what you want me to say? Best ability is availability Alshon has always been injury prone.

Dude I'm not here debating Alshon Jeffery like I think he's great. Yes, injury prone, and I definitely wouldn't want him as my team's best receiver. But the point is he showed MUCH more in his career to warrant a contract than Riley did. Like I don't even get what you're arguing. The Eagles extended his initial contract (which actually brought his AAV down, and really wasn't a blockbuster deal at ALL; not a true "#1 WR" deal), in a season where they thought they had a budding superstar QB on their hands, thus probably wanted to ensure a weapon for him.

Seriously I can't believe this is a debate. What do you think a "#1 WR" is? Who do you think qualifies? I would say multiple teams don't even have one that fits the bill. It's not just being the best WR on your team. Jeffery, for all of his shortcomings and unfulfilled potential, has shown much more promise to live up to the "#1 wide receiver" title than Cooper. And I still would't call him one.

6 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Dude I'm not here debating Alshon Jeffery like I think he's great. Yes, injury prone, and I definitely wouldn't want him as my team's best receiver. But the point is he showed MUCH more in his career to warrant a contract than Riley did. Like I don't even get what you're arguing. The Eagles extended his initial contract (which actually brought his AAV down, and really wasn't a blockbuster deal at ALL; not a true "#1 WR" deal), in a season where they thought they had a budding superstar QB on their hands, thus probably wanted to ensure a weapon for him.

Seriously I can't believe this is a debate. What do you think a "#1 WR" is? Who do you think qualifies? I would say multiple teams don't even have one that fits the bill. It's not just being the best WR on your team. Jeffery, for all of his shortcomings and unfulfilled potential, has shown much more promise to live up to the "#1 wide receiver" title than Cooper. And I still would't call him one.

I don't even know what you were talking about then I think you just are overvaluing the term number one wr.

Like DK Metcalf had 10 more catches and 50 more yards than cooper last year one less td I consider him a number one wr.

Percy Garvin even though he never got over 1000 yards for Minn there's still a couple of seasons I'd consider him a number one wr.

I have no clue what your baseline is for a number 1 wr therefore you lost me. 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't even know what you were talking about then I think you just are overvaluing the term number one wr.

Like DK Metcalf had 10 more catches and 50 more yards than cooper last year one less td I consider him a number one wr.

Percy Garvin even though he never got over 1000 yards for Minn there's still a couple of seasons I'd consider him a number one wr.

I have no clue what your baseline is for a number 1 wr therefore you lost me. 

I'd say.a true #1 WR is generally going to be the lead dog of the WR corps, the guy defenses game-plan for, someone you can pencil in for 1,000 yards and should easily threaten 1,200 every year. Again, this is just a general idea, there's a good amount of "know it when I see it" to it, and people can disagree.

I don't think I would've called DK that after last year, but this year he seems to be on his way.

I don't think I ever would've considered Percy Harvin a true #1 WR. He was a heck of an overall offensive weapon for a few years, but not truly as a straight up receiver.

Bottom line, in 2013 Riley Cooper looked somewhat passable as a number one wr in an offense.

Riley Cooper was literally a #2 WR in his most productive season in 2013. Part of him being that productive was due to how well DeSean Jackson played that year as the team's actual #1 WR. This argument is....bad. And just out of place?

On 10/9/2020 at 6:22 PM, thebestever6 said:

Not hall of fame Worthy but Riley Cooper looked like a number one wr in 2013 850 yards 8 tds. He was a number fourth or five any other year

Because also, like, the thread title is literally players who have had hall of fame seasons, and you open your post with, not hall of fame worthy. Like, the first 5 words of your post may as well have been, this is not thread relevant. It's like going into a top 10 WR thread and saying hey, I know he's not a WR, but I just want to say how good of a kicker Justin Tucker is. I'm just legitimately confused about any of this argument existing in this thread. Riley Cooper was a one hit wonder as a decent #2 WR and he's being brought up in a thread about hall of fame seasons. What.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You should of had a smaller list from the jump. Several of those players have had HOF career type numbers or were/are on pace.  None probably getting in but close non the less. None apply to what the OP was asking IMO. 

Not one of them only had 1 great season.

If this was a requirement it was not stated. The question was literally "What players had hof seasons...".

Edited by wackywabbit