New Orleans switching from hosting Super Bowl 58 to 59

pf9

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

Now, back to the topic at hand, Cleveland should host Super Bowl 58.

It would be the biggest NFL game ever held in Cleveland. Super Bowl 48 showed that the NFL is capable of hosting its showcase game outdoors in a cold-weather city.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is SB48 was an exception to the rule since NYC has the biggest metropolitan area in the US. Not sure if Cleveland would rake in the $$$ the NFL is looking for.

• Like 1

It shouldn't matter. Jacksonville is a much smaller market than Cleveland, and they have hosted a Super Bowl. Indianapolis and New Orleans are smaller than Cleveland too (in fact, you could argue that New Orleans is the NFL's second-smallest market given the Packers are for all intents and purposes a Milwaukee team) and also have hosted Super Bowls. In fact, the Jacksonville Super Bowl didn't have all that warm of a temperature.

You could make an argument for Green Bay hosting a Super Bowl because it is Titletown, USA.

23 minutes ago, pf9 said:

It shouldn't matter. Jacksonville is a much smaller market than Cleveland, and they have hosted a Super Bowl. Indianapolis and New Orleans are smaller than Cleveland too (in fact, you could argue that New Orleans is the NFL's second-smallest market given the Packers are for all intents and purposes a Milwaukee team) and also have hosted Super Bowls.

Have you ever been to New Orleans?

Go once, you'll understand why it's a frequent location.

The Super Bowl is a week long party, with events celebrities, concerts - it's a full on experience in itself. It's why places such as Miami and New Orleans are so high on the repeat list (and I'm certain Las Vegas is getting on the list very quickly). Market share should have nothing to do with where the game is hosted, it should be about where people are going to have the best time at.

Football is entertainment at its core, and its biggest event needs to be entertaining for everyone who attends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pf9 said:

People can have a good time just about anywhere a Super Bowl might be held, even Green Bay (with Milwaukee hosting some of the festivities too).

People who never have been to New Orleans or Vegas say that.

I've been to Milwaukee a few times. It's a charming city, but it's not Vegas or N'Awlins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

It shouldn't matter. Jacksonville is a much smaller market than Cleveland, and they have hosted a Super Bowl. Indianapolis and New Orleans are smaller than Cleveland too (in fact, you could argue that New Orleans is the NFL's second-smallest market given the Packers are for all intents and purposes a Milwaukee team) and also have hosted Super Bowls. In fact, the Jacksonville Super Bowl didn't have all that warm of a temperature.

You could make an argument for Green Bay hosting a Super Bowl because it is Titletown, USA.

Well yeah, but Jacksonville is a way more marketable place for tourism in February.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Have you ever been to New Orleans?

Holy ****, have I ever.

Couple a times and I even remember some of them. Someday I'll tell the whole story but the good part is here:

I woke up at 6:27 am, plenty of time to prep for my 7 am team meeting in the Banquet room 5B. I strolled in promptly at 7:02 am
The first person I saw was Tracy. Tracy said " Duuuuude - those are the same clothes you were wearing last night !!"   Thanks Tracy
The next person I saw was Joe. Joe said: " Do you know that you have dried blood in your ear ? "  (actually both ears)  Thanks Joe

Spectacular way to start the team meeting. That's New Orleans and its definitely NOT Milwaukee.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Let Atlanta get 58.

Can you offer us a reason why ?
Arthur Blank already got his new stadium boost with a SB in 2019, what's the compelling reason to return to ATL ?

Also:  Once the NFL gets a taste of the international cash flow in Vegas, its going to be real hard to win future SBs for other cities

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Can you offer us a reason why ?
Arthur Blank already got his new stadium boost with a SB in 2019, what's the compelling reason to return to ATL ?

Also:  Once the NFL gets a taste of the international cash flow in Vegas, its going to be real hard to win future SBs for other cities

International cash from Atlanta. Biggest airport in the country. All sorts of reasons. Did a good job in 2019 with it. It's just a good fit for the Super Bowl. Always has been. Just like Miami or New Orleans, the only thing holding Atlanta back was it's stadium back in the day.

50 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I was only in Atlanta for a brief stop while I was road tripping to NO, but I really enjoyed it. 

I love Atlanta, great city in general. Used to go there a few times a year, pretty cool overall. 

Aa far as a "new" city to venture to (outside of LV...)

- Anyone think of Nashville? They absolutely crushed it as a host city for the draft, Broadway was PACKED and everyone was having a blast. @Ragnarok lives there I think, he can attest to it.

- Houston is always a reliable location to host a SB at. They're not Miami/New Orleans, but they're in the 2nd tier of host cities.

- I'm very surprised Seattle hasn't hosted one. Qwest Field is pretty well designed and maintained. Weather could be a concern, but how is that different than NJ?

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I love Atlanta, great city in general. Used to go there a few times a year, pretty cool overall. 

Aa far as a "new" city to venture to (outside of LV...)

- Anyone think of Nashville? They absolutely crushed it as a host city for the draft, Broadway was PACKED and everyone was having a blast. @Ragnarok lives there I think, he can attest to it.

- Houston is always a reliable location to host a SB at. They're not Miami/New Orleans, but they're in the 2nd tier of host cities.

- I'm very surprised Seattle hasn't hosted one. Qwest Field is pretty well designed and maintained. Weather could be a concern, but how is that different than NJ?

Nashville will get one at some point soon.  There's been talk of revamping the stadium here or building a new one, so i think the NFL would wait for news on that.

But yeah, the draft was awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

- I'm very surprised Seattle hasn't hosted one.

Competition is super intense, so being a good option isn't enough. Nashville - same thing. Good location, rabid fans but they won't overcome the competition from the Tier 1 cities. Their only real chance is to build a new stadium

That's why the NFL is moving the draft around, it gives more cities a chance to host a massive NFL event. There's been some chatter about creating an event to launch Free Agency too. A live auction in March ? Ha !

Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Tampa are tough to beat out
And honestly- if you read what the NFL asks for  extorts from the host city - its pretty amazing and it eats away at the economic benefits of hosting.
The NFL controls everything

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1184220-20140605190910.html#document/p36

• Like 1