2020 World Series: Tampa Bay Rays vs Los Angeles Dodgers

BayRaider

This is gonna be a crazy good series. Two absolutely fantastic teams. You are probably looking at two 100 win teams in the Regular Season if these teams played all year, with the Dodgers being on pace to being one of the best regular season records ever.

I think the Dodgers are the better team, but it's close, really close. I also think the Dodgers really exhausted themselves in that series.

I will say Dodgers in 7 in a nail-biting series with some great games.

If the pitching rotations go how I think they will:

GM1: Rays

GM2: Dodgers

GM3: Dodgers

GM4: Rays

GM5: Rays

GM6: Dodgers

GM7: Dodgers

Edited by BayRaider

44 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

75 mil vs 225 mil. seems fair.

Gotta love baseball.

Though we do have to recognize that while the Dodgers have a massive payroll they are almost all home grown players. Betts and Pollock are the only big salary impact guys that they got for money reasons (FA or trade that they and few others could afford). They've done it through the draft and reclamation projects like Muncy and Turner and turning Jansen into a reliever. The money allows them to retain their guys, but they haven't bought a championship team.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

the offenses arent comparable, but starting pitching leans rays pretty hard.

I don't know that I agree with that. Especially now that there are days off. 

Buehler looks healthy now and is probably the best pitcher in the series. Kershaw is still Kershaw until that one inning. The key for Roberts will be recognizing when that inning will be. Julio Urias has also looked really good. With the days off they can start him because they don't need to have bullpen games.

Snell has looked shaky this postseason and he and Morton even when they pitch well don't give a lot of innings. 

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

Gotta love baseball.

Though we do have to recognize that while the Dodgers have a massive payroll they are almost all home grown players. Betts and Pollock are the only big salary impact guys that they got for money reasons (FA or trade that they and few others could afford). They've done it through the draft and reclamation projects like Muncy and Turner and turning Jansen into a reliever. The money allows them to retain their guys, but they haven't bought a championship team.

The fact we're almost all home grown gets lost on some when you look at our payroll. Friedman has done great on knowing who to pay and our development system is great. He's also hinted very strongly that there's a big name free agent we're going to sign this off season. Speculations generally center around Lindor and Bauer. 

Lindor would likely move Seager to 3rd, assuming we pay him what he's earned this season and post season. Bauer would force one of the young arms out. 

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

The fact we're almost all home grown gets lost on some when you look at our payroll. Friedman has done great on knowing who to pay and our development system is great. He's also hinted very strongly that there's a big name free agent we're going to sign this off season. Speculations generally center around Lindor and Bauer. 

Lindor would likely move Seager to 3rd, assuming we pay him what he's earned this season and post season. Bauer would force one of the young arms out. 

i dont think it gets lost, the fact is the dodgers mostly get to keep who they want. Rays scouting and development is pretty much second to none, imagine if they would have been able to keep all the great players theyve had over the years. With that said, its not the dodgers fault and whether they win or loss, payroll shouldn't be on the list of reasons why. But it is kinda funny that they have 3x the payroll as the rays.

• Like 1

Dodgers win in 6.

Rays bats have been awful aside from Arozarena. I wouldn't allow him to beat you I would make the others around him beat you and if that happens then you tip your cap. Very little has shown that they can. 

I think that the depth and the days off now heavily favors the Dodgers.

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i dont think it gets lost, the fact is the dodgers mostly get to keep who they want. Rays scouting and development is pretty much second to none, imagine if they would have been able to keep all the great players theyve had over the years. With that said, its not the dodgers fault and whether they win or loss, payroll shouldn't be on the list of reasons why. But it is kinda funny that they have 3x the payroll as the rays.

I’ve always wanted a salary cap for Baseball but there’s no way the MLB would ever limit the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers cash cows. The A’s have always basically been the Yankees farm system. 

Imagine how great the A’s and Rays would be with a salary cap and the two best farm systems in the league for a longgg time. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve always wanted a salary cap for Baseball but there’s no way the MLB would ever limit the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers cash cows. The A’s have always basically been the Yankees farm system. 

Imagine how great the A’s and Rays would be with a salary cap and the two best farm systems in the league for a longgg time. 

I'd be willing to wager it isn't the top teams that are completely against a salary cap. They may not want it but other parties would put much more of a fight. First the players definitely don't want it. As for the clubs any number they set is going to have to be sufficiently high to meet the revenue split with the players. The Rays can only get away with paying what they do because the Yankees pay what they do for instance. The small market teams would be killed by a salary cap while the big market teams get to pocket all the extra money.

The schedule and regionality of the sport doesn't lend itself to predominately national TV contracts so that isn't a possible way to bridge the gap. And revenue sharing won't work because most of the big teams are part owners of the stations that broadcast the games so they'll just pay themselves less in media rights and the money will be in an outside venture (the station) rather than the baseball team and wouldn't be subject to the split.