Packers Sign JBurge

MacReady

James Burgess

I find this one a tad bit surprising honestly.  First that we signed him.  He's not an undrafted nobody from Toledo. 

He was an undrafted free agent, but from Louisville. 

But the surprising aspect is that it looks like he's accomplished something in the NFL.  He doesn't look terrible.  This is a highlight video, but Burks has been playing for about 67 years and hasn't accumulated this much.

He has an interception, 160 career tackles, 4.5 career sacks, 1 safety and 21 career tackles for loss. 

Burks has 0 career sacks, 0 career tackles for loss, 4 more career games.

This could honestly be a Breeland level midseason signing. 

Or he could be cut in 8 days for us to bring up another nobody receiver. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

James Burgess

I find this one a tad bit surprising honestly.  First that we signed him.  He's not an undrafted nobody from Toledo. 

He was an undrafted free agent, but from Louisville. 

But the surprising aspect is that it looks like he's accomplished something in the NFL.  He doesn't look terrible.  This is a highlight video, but Burks has been playing for about 67 years and hasn't accumulated this much.

He has an interception, 160 career tackles, 4.5 career sacks, 1 safety and 21 career tackles for loss. 

Burks has 0 career sacks, 0 career tackles for loss, 4 more career games.

Burks is good. What's the saying around here? Oh yea, Burks just needs a few more years to develop. 

Edited by packfanfb

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

For this reason, I’m surprised he gets his own thread, but he is now on the 53 of the Packers, so I’ll be pulling for this underdog. 
https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/81869/cut-eight-times-jets-james-burgess-busted-helmet-unbroken-dream

I posted this on a different thread but the article definitely speaks to his character, and perhaps lack of talent.

Try hard guy who hopefully has the smarts and instincts to make up for physical limitations. He might be a bit of a hitter in the Antonio Morrison mold, who did play a role for the D but was too one dimensional to stick around.  Hopefully Burgess can show us more. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

Burks is good. What's the saying around here? Oh yea, Burks just needs a few more years to develop. 

He came in with Pettine.  So did Josh Jackson. 

I believe Burks is talented enough to be an NFL player who isn't a liability.  I believe Jackson could be a plus zone coverage DB. 

Just like I believed Josh Jones would be a plus DB, which he now is in Jacksonville. 

Burks, King, Alexander, Jackson, Savage, Amos, Smith, Smith, Clark, Gary, Jones...

Pettine has been inundated with young talent and we get this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Refugee said:

For this reason, I’m surprised he gets his own thread, but he is now on the 53 of the Packers, so I’ll be pulling for this underdog. 
https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/81869/cut-eight-times-jets-james-burgess-busted-helmet-unbroken-dream

I posted this on a different thread but the article definitely speaks to his character, and perhaps lack of talent.

Try hard guy who hopefully has the smarts and instincts to make up for physical limitations. He might be a bit of a hitter in the Antonio Morrison mold, who did play a role for the D but was too one dimensional to stick around.  Hopefully Burgess can show us more. 

Damn.  Pulling hard for him. 

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He came in with Pettine.  So did Josh Jackson. 

I believe Burks is talented enough to be an NFL player who isn't a liability.  I believe Jackson could be a plus zone coverage DB. 

Just like I believed Josh Jones would be a plus DB, which he now is in Jacksonville. 

Burks, King, Alexander, Jackson, Savage, Amos, Smith, Smith, Clark, Gary, Jones...

Pettine has been inundated with young talent and we get this. 

Is Josh Jones actually good, I was going to post about it and forgot but I saw a couple fans bitching about him elsewhere on the internet one day

5 hours ago, Norm said:

Is Josh Jones actually good, I was going to post about it and forgot but I saw a couple fans bitching about him elsewhere on the internet one day

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/josh-jones/11816

His PFF scores show JJ as a solid tackler and vulnerable in coverage. Might have to do with us wanting to play him as a hybrid LB that he was not open to. Maybe he’s matured a bit, maybe a better scheme fit, or maybe it’s not hard to be a bigger fish in the small pond that is Jax, but he seems to be working for them. 

7 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Character issues.  We should cut him already. 

i remember like a month after we drafted casey hayward he asked something like "is getting head considered premarital sex? i need to know because i don't want to sin" or something like that on twitter. i forget what i said, probably something cringy trying to make a joke because i was like 15 at the time, but dude blocked me. only packer to ever block me in my youth