Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

Not to be outdone by Daniel Jones' private workouts in Arizona, Logan Ryan has brought most of the Giants secondary to Florida. No rest for the wicked, or the wickedly talented.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan on how much the team has changed in two years:

Of the Giants' 22 starters from Week 17 of the 2019 season, 12 are gone, as are 32 of the 53 players from that roster. Half of those 32 are either retired (quarterback Eli Manning), unsigned as of mid-May or out of the league. And that doesn't include retired long-snapper Zak DeOssie and tight end Rhett Ellison, who finished that season on injured reserve.

That is an indictment of general manager Dave Gettleman's progress until Judge was hired. Since then, they have worked together to stockpile quality talent, producing a roster that finally seems to have realistic potential.

Edited by y*so*blu

11 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Not to be outdone by Daniel Jones' private workouts in Arizona, Logan Ryan has brought most of the Giants secondary to Florida. No rest for the wicked, or the wickedly talented.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan on how much the team has changed in two years:

Of the Giants' 22 starters from Week 17 of the 2019 season, 12 are gone, as are 32 of the 53 players from that roster. Half of those 32 are either retired (quarterback Eli Manning), unsigned as of mid-May or out of the league. And that doesn't include retired long-snapper Zak DeOssie and tight end Rhett Ellison, who finished that season on injured reserve.

That is an indictment of general manager Dave Gettleman's progress until Judge was hired. Since then, they have worked together to stockpile quality talent, producing a roster that finally seems to have realistic potential.

Nice post...

I considered Gettleman a wrecking ball when he first signed.  He went through the roster, burning bridges, poor signings it seemed like everything he did set the team back.  The signing of Joe Judge seems to have changed everything or almost everything.  I still think he gets a little crazy with some of his decision making but nothing like it was pre-Judge.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Reading what the other teams had show up this seems like a low number but I don't really follow the  voluntary workouts stuff?

Yeah, it does seem a little low, and these are voluntary. We will see how OTAs are next week. I think Logan Ryan is running a separate secondary one currently.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:31 PM, Go_Giants said:

He is unhappy because he has been asking for help on offense. In the last 10 years in the first round they have drafted 9 defensive players and his replacement. When he went to management about his thoughts on the direction the team should be going in, management told him to get out of the room. Last but not least against Tom Brady last year in the playoffs, he thought he was working with 4 downs to tie the game up in the last two minutes. Instead he got pulled they kicked a field goal and never got the ball back.

I think he is serious and is not going to play for them again unless someone in upper management gets fired. That being said I doubt the Packers would trade him to a team in the NFC.

You're right about him being serious about not wanting to play for the team.    

I get that players want to have the outcome of the game in their hands, but looking at it from a statistical viewpoint.  He wasn't having a lot of success in that last quarter, throwing 7 incompletions.  Three of them coming in the plays leading up to the field goal.  I get why the coach decided to kick the field goal over put the ball in his hands again.  They still had all of their time outs along with the two minute warning clock stoppage.  Brady had already thrown two interceptions in the 4th quarter, GB couldn't capitalize on either of these going 3 and out on both attempts.  Rodgers was sacked, followed by two incomplete pass attempts proceeding those interceptions.  Back to back 3 and outs.   In the final minutes of the game, defensive penalties is what allowed TB to keep the final drive alive and end the game.

After reviewing the game, I just assumed that Aaron would at least take some credit for them not getting it done in the 4th.  Not for him to throw his coach under the bus for playing the odds.

4 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I take my hat off to the guys who did show, regardless of the players' union attempting to boycott OTAs (which still makes no sense to me). 

For the guys who are working out off-site, I wish them the best and hope they don't get injured. We don't need a Ja'Wuan James situation.

Players work out year long. What doesn’t make sense about the boycott? Players don’t think they need the extra 2 practices during the pandemic, when they been practicing on their own during the off-season, especially since it’s deemed voluntary.

6 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Players work out year long. What doesn’t make sense about the boycott? Players don’t think they need the extra 2 practices during the pandemic, when they been practicing on their own during the off-season, especially since it’s deemed voluntary.

What doesn't make sense is the NFLPA urging players not to attend these workouts, without mentioning that said players could be cut by their team if they get hurt because their contracts don't cover stuff that happens at "unsanctioned" workouts. It seems irresponsible.

16 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

What doesn't make sense is the NFLPA urging players not to attend these workouts, without mentioning that said players could be cut by their team if they get hurt because their contracts don't cover stuff that happens at "unsanctioned" workouts. It seems irresponsible.

That can happen year round though, players will have a month of between mini camp and training camp. If they get hurt, it’s the same situation.

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Yeah, it does seem a little low, and these are voluntary. We will see how OTAs are next week. I think Logan Ryan is running a separate secondary one currently.

Yeah, I do like that Ryan is taking charge of the secondary.

9 minutes ago, Acgott said:

That can happen year round though, players will have a month of between mini camp and training camp. If they get hurt, it’s the same situation.

With the reduced number of pre season games, you'd like to see the team practicing as a group as much as possible.  We've got a lot of new members on this roster and they need time to gel.  You'd think that these guys would want to be there to increase their odds of making the team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

With the reduced number of pre season games, you'd like to see the team practicing as a group as much as possible.  We've got a lot of new members on this roster and they need time to gel.  You'd think that these guys would want to be there to increase their odds of making the team.

Oh I totally agree. I want all the players there as well. But these two days are just drills, no contact, with virtual meetings. It be interesting to see which players aren’t there.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Oh I totally agree. I want all the players there as well. But these two days are just drills, no contact, with virtual meetings. It be interesting to see which players aren’t there.

Right I get that it's not full pads or anything close to that, but I'd still like to see them as one unit if not just to get to know their teammates.  I remember Coughlin would do things like bowling and golf get togethers to build a more unified team.  

9 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Agreed. The good news is that 40+ are there, and more could show up later.

The oddsmakers, once again reminding us that weed is legal in Vegas, have us favored in only five games. I will enjoy watching the Giants prove them wrong.