Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

This is the most obvious way to remedy the situation. 

27 years old, 5 time probowler.  Had a down year last year, but I don't know the details of what happened.

I'd rather find a LG but I'm still not sold on Gates at center.  I watched him get drove back into the pocket too many times.  

After a solid off season, I just can't get happy about it because I see holes on the line, which was the one position we could see needed attention.  Maybe they plan on having the 7 coaches that they brought in to play...haha.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'd rather find a LG but I'm still not sold on Gates at center.  I watched him get drove back into the pocket too many times.  

After a solid off season, I just can't get happy about it because I see holes on the line, which was the one position we could see needed attention.  Maybe they plan on having the 7 coaches that they brought in to play...haha.

I'm sold on Gates. I think he is a solid, versatile, scrappy OL who can play any spot along the line. I'm totally comfortable with him at C, or really anywhere. I'm a big fan. He only got better as the season went along, and it was his first season playing center at any level. He's our modern day David Diehl. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm sold on Gates. I think he is a solid, versatile, scrappy OL who can play any spot along the line. I'm totally comfortable with him at C, or really anywhere. I'm a big fan. He only got better as the season went along, and it was his first season playing center at any level. He's our modern day David Diehl. 

Can't knock you for it.  I think he played really well at center against the run, but he just didn't do much when it came to pass protection.  From what I recall he got pushed back too many times in pass pro.  I won't call him the next David Diehl because that's one thing David was great at.   He's definitely playing with the attitude.

Now if he can correct what I consider the issue with him, then I'm sold as well but I've gotta see it first.  Perhaps if he can add some bulk, say another 15 to 20 ilbs of meat would correct this. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Yea I mean I was against an OL in the 1st. But I did not fathom them going the entire draft without addressing it at all. Are they possibly confident in Solder, Lemieux, Gates, Hernandez, Peart? 

Dave says he is but then contradicted himself according to this article. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-gettleman-draft-line-20210502-6qz4vkkbuvhizc7tzmqdkbkm44-story.html

I don't even think Will is being listed as their starter, depth which is probably the best place for him...imo.

Reading the article, Dave said, “It’s really apparent that we have a little more confidence in our offensive line players than you guys do,” Gettleman said to the assembled media on Zoom. “I’m just gonna say we’re happy with the group that we have.” 

But do you really, if you've got to bring in an army of coaches to coach this group up, where is the confidence?  

Then he says, they had their eye on a couple specific players in the second and third round but went ahead of them.  To me those would be Landon Dickerson - C - Alabama and Creed Humphrey - C - Oklahoma or Josh Myers - C - Ohio State.

I also think if Trey Hill - C - Georgia who went 6 picks in front of us in the 6th they might have been targeting him, can't say for certain.  

But any of these guys would have provided a center more suited to pass protection, than Gates, IMO.

Our first UDFA signing was a 6'5" 321 lbs.  Center/Guard in Brett Heggie, Florida.

• Like 1

Speaking of trading for QBs, maybe it's a little late to bring this up, but any thoughts on the speculation that Aaron Rodgers may be eying the Giants as a potential landing spot?

With the Aaron Rodgers drama unfolding on Thursday and his future with the Packers becoming tenuous, Giants general manager Dave Gettleman said he never even thought about picking up the phone and at least getting a sense of what was going on in Green Bay.

"None of my business," was how Gettleman put it. "I’ve told you guys over and over again, we believe in Daniel."

Giants GM Dave Gettleman on Aaron Rodgers situation with Packers: 'None of my business' | Newsday

Putting aside my disdain for Rodgers himself, I'll admit his talents could be a godsend here. But I can only imagine what the Packers would want for him; three 1st-round picks, maybe? And after he declines we'll be starting all over again. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Plus, can you imagine how a thin-skinned guy like that would handle the NY media? 

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Speaking of trading for QBs, maybe it's a little late to bring this up, but any thoughts on the speculation that Aaron Rodgers may be eying the Giants as a potential landing spot?

With the Aaron Rodgers drama unfolding on Thursday and his future with the Packers becoming tenuous, Giants general manager Dave Gettleman said he never even thought about picking up the phone and at least getting a sense of what was going on in Green Bay.

"None of my business," was how Gettleman put it. "I’ve told you guys over and over again, we believe in Daniel."

Giants GM Dave Gettleman on Aaron Rodgers situation with Packers: 'None of my business' | Newsday

Putting aside my disdain for Rodgers himself, I'll admit his talents could be a godsend here. But I can only imagine what the Packers would want for him; three 1st-round picks, maybe? And after he declines we'll be starting all over again. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Plus, can you imagine how a thin-skinned guy like that would handle the NY media? 

I'm one of the biggest Daniel Jones supporters here, with that in mind Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QB's that have ever played. He is savvy and mobile enough in the pocket to work behind a weak offensive line. If he was on the Giants we would be doing so much winning he would have nothing to be thin skinned about. This defense with a Rodgers led offense is beating Tampa and going to Superbowls. Hell we almost beat Tampa last season

With Rodgers we would have an awesome three year run with him. However we can barely afford a veteran free agent guard. Is Rodgers willing to cut his salary in half and make just 15 million for us to afford him like Brady would have, I doubt that. If he was willing to do such, then to be honest I don't know what I would do if I was the Giants owner.

• Like 1

Well on the subject of Jones. If he makes no significant improvements this year. They now have plenty of draft capital next offseason to make a move to either get their guy in the draft or via trade. I like Jones alot and I hope he's the QB of the future but he simply cannot put up another pathetic season like last.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, Shockwave said:

Whelp they must really be confident in the Olinemen they have. What are we looking at for opening day starters?

LT: Solder/Thomas
LG: Lemieux/Hernandez
C Gates
RG: ??
RT: Peart

Maybe Hernandez can make the switch to RG?

Zach Fulton is the likely starter at RG. With the loser of Will/Shane taking over the swing position. Trai Turner would be a nice buy low option. Although, I don’t see the Giants signing anyone unless the deal is a steal. 

I think Thomas is the starter at LT meaning Solder will have to compete with Peart for that starting RT spot. Thomas needs to take a step forward and play at least at the level he did between weeks 11-17 last season. If he can improve on that level of play we have a franchise LT (even though I will never let us live down taking Thomas over Becton). 

Gates was pretty good last year considering it was his first full season playing center since high school. The number to lean on with Gates is the fact he didn’t allow a sack all season and he played 100% of our offensive snaps at the position. While he left a lot to be desired in the penalty department, I chalk that up to him getting used to a new position (a pretty difficult one to play on the O-Line) and just his lack of experience creating mistakes for people to take advantage of. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

First, I don't think Green Bay would trade him.  Nor do I really think Rodgers is really all that serious about not playing for them.  But I'm confused on why he is even unhappy.  

Is it because they drafted J. Love?  It isn't like Rodgers is being underpaid, he's set to make 37 million and 39 million in 2022.

As for the Giants trading for him.  Dave said the right thing in that it was "none of my business".  He drafted Jones with the 6th overall pick, which many considered a reach that year.  While Jones hasn't lived up to that pick "yet".  If he even sniffed at the idea of trading for Rodgers, it would mean that he accepted his mistake in drafting Jones.  A player that in my opinion doesn't work out, he'll be fired.  Accepting defeat now, would only show Dave the door a little bit faster.