Jump to content
Starless

The Pats QB situation

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I believe the opposite.  Good team, has you picking in the 20+ year after year. History shows that you are basically screwed or unless you lucky enough to stumble upon  a miracle.  Your way you would pass on Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson and last but not least Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Aaron Rodgers was taken 24th overall. Lamar Jackson was a guy the Pats passed on at 32. Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder. Drew Brees was the 1st pick in the 2nd round. etc, etc.

There are plenty of counter-arguments to what you're saying.

Prior to Mahomes, only 2 of the previous 20 Super Bowls were won by QBs picked in the top-10 overall. And both of them had the last name Manning. And given the recent history of QBs picked #1 overall, you're far more likely to end up perpetually on the doorstep of the Super Bowl with one of them than you are actually winning it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2020 at 10:54 PM, Starless said:

Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Aaron Rodgers was taken 24th overall. Lamar Jackson was a guy the Pats passed on at 32. Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder. Drew Brees was the 1st pick in the 2nd round. etc, etc.

There are plenty of counter-arguments to what you're saying.

Prior to Mahomes, only 2 of the previous 20 Super Bowls were won by QBs picked in the top-10 overall. And both of them had the last name Manning. And given the recent history of QBs picked #1 overall, you're far more likely to end up perpetually on the doorstep of the Super Bowl with one of them than you are actually winning it. 

Your right you find them. Its called pure luck. Brady, Wilson and Prescott. No one I mean no one saw that coming for these QBs. They were just needs an fill in rosters types. So lets take Rodgers, Jackson ( who by the way has won jack crap and most likely never see a SB ring) Brees. That's three QBs out of how many wastes pick over the years. 3 guys to thousand has been or never was.  Just think the Browns have that list on the net with failed QB drafted.

Here a team that kind of fits your mold. Vikings. Here there QB quest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Vikings_starting_quarterbacks

Edited by m haynes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Your right you find them. Its called pure luck. Brady, Wilson and Prescott. No one I mean no one saw that coming for these QBs. They were just needs an fill in rosters types. So lets take Rodgers, Jackson ( who by the way has one jack crap and most likely never see a SB ring) Brees. That's three QBs out of how many wastes pick over the years. 3 guys to thousand has been or never was.  Just think the Browns have that list on the net with failed QB drafted.

Here a team that kind of fits your mold. Vikings. Here there QB quest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Vikings_starting_quarterbacks

You're right, it is pure luck. But luck is a pretty big factor even when you're picking high in the first round. Just ask the Browns, Rams and Raiders. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Starless said:

You're right, it is pure luck. But luck is a pretty big factor even when you're picking high in the first round. Just ask the Browns, Rams and Raiders. 

I consider myself a QB guru!!!! 😁🎱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

You guys want Jimmy G this off-season?

Not really, but he'll probably end up here anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

You guys want Jimmy G this off-season?

Depends what it costs.

He's a QB who's in a system that lets him throw the ball very quickly, to a receiver that is part of a corps getting the most YAC in the league - and he's still making bad plays, right? However, he is better than our current situation. I would take him if it didn't cost much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilson is interesting because he is probably going to be the 4th QB taken. 

Could we really see 4 QB's in the top 15? He seems like a Jordan Love level 20-30 pick. Especially interesting because his stats are pretty mediocre from last season. Can he keep up his current pace for an entire season?

If the Patriots love this kid.. he can probably easily be had because I doubt he jumps over any of the other QB's before draft day

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What's the competition he's facing like? Does he go against 'NFL-like' defenses?

NO however they said the exact same thing about Mahomes at Texas Tech University. Kid has arm,accurate, can run, reads the field.  He is also rising fast with the Kipers of the world. In general who he plays would be a concern however not in this case.   Justin Field goes against NFL like D however he rarely challenged with the star players on offense.

IMO Wilson played for Ohio State he would be in the running for the #1 pick. Most likely the 2nd QB off the board.

Forgot   Any QB from OS concerns me. They all have incredible numbers. EX Haskins 50+ TDs !!!!!!! The benefit greatly from the players around them.

Edited by m haynes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, m haynes said:

NO however they said the exact same thing about Mahomes at Texas Tech University. Kid has arm,accurate, can run, reads the field.  He is also rising fast with the Kipers of the world. In general who he plays would be a concern however not in this case.   Justin Field goes against NFL like D however he rarely challenged with the star players on offense.

IMO Wilson played for Ohio State he would be in the running for the #1 pick. Most likely the 2nd QB off the board.

Forgot   Any QB from OS concerns me. They all have incredible numbers. EX Haskins 50+ TDs !!!!!!! The benefit greatly from the players around them.

I think he may be gone, Haynes. It sounds a bit too good to still be there at 10ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think he may be gone, Haynes. It sounds a bit too good to still be there at 10ish

Ya agree, however the Pats could pull the trigger with a trade up with a team that already has a QB such as the Giants. Who IMO are foolish enough to stay with Jones. The Pats pick carries  a lot of value. They could trade with the Pats and still get Waddle and additional picks.

Edited by m haynes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here some good news concerning the draft. I forgot about the compensatory draft picks. Looks like we have 3 additional picks.

https://musketfire.com/2020/05/01/patriots-predicted-3-compensatory-picks-2021-nfl-draft/

That adds to the optimism  for 2021.  High draft choice, huge cap, and the additional picks. Also young good  players from the last draft.

The additional picks give the Pats more trade pieces to move up for a QB if they choose. 

Edited by m haynes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...