Which Hypothetical QB situation...

Hunter2_1

Hypothetical QB situation  

13 members have voted

1. 1. That you like (vote for all you would go for)

• Resign Cam, roll with Cam and Stidham again; best man wins
    • Use first round pick on best QB available (at 8-15th range probably), have a competition between him and Cam/Stidham
    • Use first pick to trade up with either DAL/NYG, who have their QBs, in order to draft Lance or Fields (or possible Wilson or Jones if those two already gone)
    • Find a way to trade with NYJ for Darnold, as they will draft Lawrence
    • Draft a QB with 2nd or 3rd pick, add him to the QB competition with Cam/Stidham
    • Trade with SF to get Jimmy back here
    • Trade with Dallas for Dak
    • Get a different veteran QB (possibly Fitz) to replace Cam whilst we find QBotF the following draft

30 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

That's primarily my concern .. he seems like an Andy Dalton / Alex Smith level QB .. someone who will be good enough not to be replaced but never win a super bowl. 

If you draft him you need to surround him with weapons immediately .. so I could see a Bengals AJ Green / Dalton type draft to help the kid out.. but that scares the heck out of me going WR first and QB second. 

You can't look at it that way. The only way we get a Super Star QB is pure luck or we are the worse team in the NFL.  I could accept Smith all day. BB would build around him a take us to a another SB. Brady early year. Manage the game.  Also Andy Dalton is nothing like Smith. Smith has a brain! 😃

but that scares the heck out of me going WR first and QB second. 

Screw that,  WR scares the crap out of me !!! 😁  Chase,Waddle, Smith and Moore still on the board at 10. BB takes Bateman. Another big slow WR that has blocking skills

Edited by m haynes

All I want is for the team to not make a compromise on the next QB.. they fall in love with someone, go get him or don't bother spending a high pick on a QB ( similar to what they did last year if Herbert really was their guy). If they want Wilson, do whatever you've got to do to go get him .. otherwise just load up on defense. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

All I want is for the team to not make a compromise on the next QB.. they fall in love with someone, go get him or don't bother spending a high pick on a QB ( similar to what they did last year if Herbert really was their guy). If they want Wilson, do whatever you've got to do to go get him .. otherwise just load up on defense. 

I think Bill would agree with you. He has shown over the past couple of seasons that if he's not in on a QB, he'll just back up.

• Like 2

There is only one guy in the 1st RD that I want and that's Wilson.  The other two Mac Jones and Kyle Trask with there 2nd RD pick.  I not sure if they will be there, if not go the FA route.

The only guy I like is Jacoby Brissett. Yes him and it has nothing to do with him as a EX Patriot. Maybe a little and that is because of the Texan game. The Pats system can protect him and he doesn't have to do to much to be effective. We use heavy running scheme and he can add to that because he can move/ run if needed. Rely on the defense and running game.  Also the 1st pick is a mystery do you go with Waddle or Moore or do you load up the defense with Moses who IMO is the best defensive player after Parson who goes before the Pats pick. Moses would be perfect in the Pats system. In general I'm not a IDL guy in the 1st RD.

JB is not the answer however we need someone under center next year. I don't see Cam coming back next year. I heard Fitz's but I don't see it. 

I said Waddle and Moore because they can add to the running game. Jet sweeps, screens, motion  etc.

PS Who do you take Chase or Waddle? I love Chase however Waddle or Moore would be more effective in the running scheme. Maybe I don't know. It would be Chase no doubt if we had someone to throw it to him!!!!😁 Running scheme leans more to the other two mentioned.

Edited by m haynes

Give me Zach Wilson. I love him as a prospect despite the level of competition (he's my QB2), and if he's still there when we pick we simply have to get him (not that Bill cares).

I still think Fields will be QB2 for teams picking at the top and that gives me hope, like Crimmage said in an earlier post the combine will make or break guys like Lance and Newman who haven't had this year to impress, but unless Wilson drops off it's hard for me to envisage it not being Lawrence, Fields/Wilson as the first 3 QBs off the board.

I hate Trask as a prospect, I just see bust.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, Crimmage said:

The guy to really keep an eye on will be Mac Jones.. if Saban tells BB he's going to be great.. we all know BB is going to listen to him and draft that kid in the second round 

I really can't make my mind up on Jones. It seems like the quality around him is used against him more than it was for the likes of Burrow/Tua. Not trying to suggest he's in that league (and maybe that's why it's brought up more), but he's keeping his side of the bargain with respectable numbers. 

On 11/8/2020 at 2:34 PM, m haynes said:

PS Who do you take Chase or Waddle? I love Chase however Waddle or Moore would be more effective in the running scheme. Maybe I don't know. It would be Chase no doubt if we had someone to throw it to him!!!!😁 Running scheme leans more to the other two mentioned.

I've thought about it a bit.. mainly with Parsons.. but I don't think BB will draft any players who opted out due to covid like Chase. I remember the old discussions of he wants guys who live football and only care about football. With that in mind i'm sure he will see this circumstance as one where he feels it is safe enough to play, so if they choose not to play they aren't as dedicated as other players. Chase could be special.. but I think that takes him off BB's board instantly. I think Jaylen Waddle would be more likely given the Alabama connection.. but I don't think there is a chance of him taking a WR in the top 15 anyway. 

I will lose my mind if we use our first round pick to draft a QB, when we have no deep threat at receiver and one of the worst front 7's of all time. Use the first pick to get the best player available for the front 7 for goodness sakes. Cam's playing well resign him and get him some weapons in free agency or the draft. Our number 1 target in FA should be a TE we're not drafting anyone that's going to come out and make plays from day 1. I'd use free agency to get possibly Hunter Henry if he somehow doesn't get a contract, then I'd get Shaq Barrett because I don't think the Bucs will resign him to a long term deal. I would also make a run at Matt Milano or Matt Judon if we can't get Shaq and those guys remain unsigned. All in all we have like the 3rd most cap space next year let's use it in free agency. Also Hightower should come back next year so if we can add just another guy like Shaq, we wouldn't have to worry about the linebacking core in the draft and we could focus on that defensive front. 

Hopefully Bill makes some moves I think we can resign Cam pretty cheap and then be able to make the moves to grab a solid linebacker and tightend in free agency.

• Like 2

Christmas is around the corner and I asked Santa for one thing.  Zach Wilson !

There's not a team in the NFL that would make Cam Newton their number 1 QB, if they had other viable options.

The Pats were desperate had no other choice.

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Christmas is around the corner and I asked Santa for one thing.  Zach Wilson !

There's not a team in the NFL that would make Cam Newton their number 1 QB, if they had other viable options.

The Pats were desperate had no other choice.

Don't put all your hopeful eggs into one basket. You know what he's like....old Santa Belichick....

Hope for Wilson, expect a Defensive Tackle

Edited by Hunter2_1

12 hours ago, JohnCena said:

I will lose my mind if we use our first round pick to draft a QB, when we have no deep threat at receiver and one of the worst front 7's of all time. Use the first pick to get the best player available for the front 7 for goodness sakes. Cam's playing well resign him and get him some weapons in free agency or the draft. Our number 1 target in FA should be a TE we're not drafting anyone that's going to come out and make plays from day 1. I'd use free agency to get possibly Hunter Henry if he somehow doesn't get a contract, then I'd get Shaq Barrett because I don't think the Bucs will resign him to a long term deal. I would also make a run at Matt Milano or Matt Judon if we can't get Shaq and those guys remain unsigned. All in all we have like the 3rd most cap space next year let's use it in free agency. Also Hightower should come back next year so if we can add just another guy like Shaq, we wouldn't have to worry about the linebacking core in the draft and we could focus on that defensive front. 

Hopefully Bill makes some moves I think we can resign Cam pretty cheap and then be able to make the moves to grab a solid linebacker and tightend in free agency.

I disagree, from a team building perspective its better to build with the young centerpiece in place and plug pieces around him. If we were a play-off team lacking a QB, I could see the logic in going vet over rookie for not wanting to go through any teething issues (though it didn't work for the Vikings), but we aren't. This is pretty much a full rebuild job, we will be picking at our highest position in forever and if there's a QB there that could potentially be the QBOTF and not just the QB of the next 2-3 years then you absolutely draft him.

1 hour ago, ToonPatriot said:

I disagree, from a team building perspective its better to build with the young centerpiece in place and plug pieces around him. If we were a play-off team lacking a QB, I could see the logic in going vet over rookie for not wanting to go through any teething issues (though it didn't work for the Vikings), but we aren't. This is pretty much a full rebuild job, we will be picking at our highest position in forever and if there's a QB there that could potentially be the QBOTF and not just the QB of the next 2-3 years then you absolutely draft him.

Plus if you build without QB 1st. Your stuck in the draft, picking in the 20s. Every year, damn  (example) Brandon Weeden stinks!!! Next lets draft Brady Quinn. Reminds me of the mouse on the spinning wheel!

40 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Plus if you build without QB 1st. Your stuck in the draft, picking in the 20s. Every year, damn  (example) Brandon Weeden stinks!!! Next lets draft Brady Quinn. Reminds me of the mouse on the spinning wheel!

If you look at the top performing QBs in the league most of them were picked outside the top 10. Kyler Murray and Matt Ryan are the two #1's but then it shifts out to Mahomes (10) and Roethlisberger (14). 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

If you look at the top performing QBs in the league most of them were picked outside the top 10. Kyler Murray and Matt Ryan are the two #1's but then it shifts out to Mahomes (10) and Roethlisberger (14). 

Just 2 QBs picked after the 20th pick in the 1st RD have been successful since 2000.  Both QBs you mentioned are in the early teens.  Jackson and Rogers.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb.

I'm pretty sure most would agree the odds are much greater picking a QB high in the 1st RD..