Which Hypothetical QB situation...

Hunter2_1

Hypothetical QB situation  

13 members have voted

1. 1. That you like (vote for all you would go for)

• Resign Cam, roll with Cam and Stidham again; best man wins
    • Use first round pick on best QB available (at 8-15th range probably), have a competition between him and Cam/Stidham
    • Use first pick to trade up with either DAL/NYG, who have their QBs, in order to draft Lance or Fields (or possible Wilson or Jones if those two already gone)
    • Find a way to trade with NYJ for Darnold, as they will draft Lawrence
    • Draft a QB with 2nd or 3rd pick, add him to the QB competition with Cam/Stidham
    • Trade with SF to get Jimmy back here
    • Trade with Dallas for Dak
    • Get a different veteran QB (possibly Fitz) to replace Cam whilst we find QBotF the following draft

Yes guy, apparently bad teams get really into hypotheticals.

This is a QB one, I believe most possible scenarios are considered, but I don't have enough time to do the salary connotations. Hopefully these are realistic enough though.

Vote for what ones you like

Edited by Hunter2_1

It was tough to answer the questions.

Reason, many tied with SID and Cam. I hope Cam is replaced. Sid a backup going forward.  The other is Fields. Who I think is fools gold.  I know your well aware that I'm on the Wilson train.😁

How I  rate the QB's

1. Lawrence  ----   1st pick.

2. Zach Wilson ----  He moving up in the draft fast. Has all the tools. To get him will need a trade up in the draft.

3. Kyle Trask  -----  Realistic  choice where the Pats pick. Big pocket passer ( that can run some) the has all the tools.

4. Justin Fields ----  OS product, numbers are inflated when you have 4/5 seconds to throw! Major problem reading the rush, however he doesn't see it very often. Great OL and WRs .

5. Trey Lance ----- Small school who physically dominates. He show zero skills reading the field. Eyes  the primary receiver only hit secondary receiver when he scrambles.

IMO the top 3 are 1st rd talent. Fields is a low 1st/ 2nd rd pick. ( Teams prays he works out). Lance is Jordan Love, at this point he's a total reach, Draft Guru baby. Just watch tape, you will see he stares down his primary and never looks for a secondary option. Doesn't need to at that level, he just tucks and runs.

Forgot on original response.  There are 4 teams in front of the Pats that need a QB. Pats have to make a trade to get one. I'm hoping a sucker team take Field high in the draft. Than we have a chance at Wilson or Trask.

Edited by m haynes

18 minutes ago, m haynes said:

It was tough to answer the questions.

Reason, many tied with SID and Cam. I hope Cam is replaced. Sid a backup going forward.  The other is Fields. Who I think is fools gold.  I know your well aware that I'm on the Wilson train.😁

How I  rate the QB's

1. Lawrence  ----   1st pick.

2. Zach Wilson ----  He moving up in the draft fast. Has all the tools. To get him will need a trade up in the draft.

3. Kyle Trask  -----  Realistic  choice where the Pats pick. Big pocket passer ( that can run some) the has all the tools.

4. Justin Fields ----  OS product, numbers are inflated when you have 4/5 seconds to throw! Major problem reading the rush, however he doesn't see it very often. Great OL and WRs .

5. Trey Lance ----- Small school who physically dominates. He show zero skills reading the field. Eyes  the primary receiver only hit secondary receiver when he scrambles.

IMO the top 3 are 1st rd talent. Fields is a low 1st/ 2nd rd pick. ( Teams prays he works out). Lance is Jordan Love, at this point he's a total reach, Draft Guru baby. Just watch tape, you will see he stares down his primary and never looks for a secondary option. Doesn't need to at that level, he just tucks and runs.

Forgot on original response.  There are 4 teams in front of the Pats that need a QB. Pats have to make a trade to get one. I'm hoping a sucker team take Field high in the draft. Than we have a chance at Wilson or Trask.

I'm with you on Fields, he's getting overdone just like Haskins was. I do believe he will be picked though. Probably in the top 4. 

I don't think BB would go for Trask, somehow. It's a bit of a reach. 

Wilson is interesting. Looks like he's climbing. 

25 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Probably in the top 4. 

Suckers 😁😁😁👍

Watch some game tape of Kyle Trask. BB likes  guys that knows the game and are accurate with the ball. He also has a cannon and a quick release.

Up date. I read my post and I don't think I explained myself correctly. I don't think Trask is worth (BB might)  the 8/9 pick. I would trade down to get him.

Edited by m haynes

24 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Suckers 😁😁😁👍

Watch some game tape of Kyle Trask. BB likes  guys that knows the game and are accurate with the ball. He also has a cannon and a quick release.

Up date. I read my post and I don't think I explained myself correctly. I don't think Trask is worth (BB might)  the 8/9 pick. I would trade down to get him.

From Draft Network;

This sounds familiar...."His best throws come in the underneath areas when he’s allowed to attack quickly and on schedule. Right now slants, designed quick patterns off of run-pass options, and back shoulder vertical routes is where he experienced the most success. One of his better traits is eye discipline and manipulation. Trask is excellent with looking off safeties and not giving them a beat as to where he wants to go with the ball. He also has the wherewithal of completely leading defenders astray and giving false impressions of where he wants to attack to only work towards the opposite side of the field."

but this doesn't: "It’s highly noticeable that a lot of his passes loft, suddenly die, or taper off during its flight to targets. Possessing a very average arm combined with this fault leads to making life hard on his targets as they’re forced to often make miraculous catches on patterns that should be routine"

easily coached though if it's a mechanical thing.

"Trask is a below average athlete with clunky feet that make life outside of the pocket challenging. Comfortable working within the pocket, but when things break down, he drops his eyes and strictly turns into a competitive runner. "

This will make him drop, I'm sure he will be available if we want him

I say no though, given it appears he needs good receivers. We can keep him clean, but I'd prefer Wilson who has a far better arm and is better if it breaks down

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

I feel like part of signing Cam was to see how BB and Josh would like having a Mobile QB and running an offense around the concept. I think they will be happy if a guy is athletic enough to run if necessary but don't see it as a priority. Cam has done such a horrible job throwing the ball that I would be amazed if they are interested in Trey Lance. The guy just needs too much work. 

They are going to want a guy with a quick release, is able to go through his progression on multiple receivers on a play ( not Fields), is accurate ( unlike Cam).. and far down the list will be ability to run if the play falls apart. 

1. Lawrence 

2. Wilson 

I expect them to draft in the 10 range.. primarily given to having to play the Jets 2 times the rest of the season. 4 QB's could go in the first 10 picks.. and I personally expect Wilson to be the 4th QB because other teams will fall in love with Lance / Fields.If that is the case I think they get lucky and can select Wilson without trading up.. if teams feel he will be another Haskins they could need to trade up to grab him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I feel like part of signing Cam was to see how BB and Josh would like having a Mobile QB and running an offense around the concept. I think they will be happy if a guy is athletic enough to run if necessary but don't see it as a priority. Cam has done such a horrible job throwing the ball that I would be amazed if they are interested in Trey Lance. The guy just needs too much work. 

They are going to want a guy with a quick release, is able to go through his progression on multiple receivers on a play ( not Fields), is accurate ( unlike Cam).. and far down the list will be ability to run if the play falls apart. 

1. Lawrence 

2. Wilson 

I expect them to draft in the 10 range.. primarily given to having to play the Jets 2 times the rest of the season. 4 QB's could go in the first 10 picks.. and I personally expect Wilson to be the 4th QB because other teams will fall in love with Lance / Fields.If that is the case I think they get lucky and can select Wilson without trading up.. if teams feel he will be another Haskins they could need to trade up to grab him. 

Wow this sounds familiar 

58 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

I would love a QB if we can land in the draft without breaking the bank. My choice was to resign Cam and try to rebuild the team through the draft and free agency. I don't think either Cam or Stidham are getting a fair showing this year.

Cam Newton is toast. He has a injured shoulder and will never throw the ball constantly. You can see him use his body to compensate the injury. He looks like Chad Pennington after he hurt his shoulder.

I've been hearing a lot of ideas for how the rebuild could be done recently and many people have been leaning towards trying to be like the Chiefs. I say that meaning, try to build 75% of the team then trading up and grabbing your QB of the future. I don't believe this defense is far away from being a super bowl caliber defense again .. grab a top end LB & DL in the draft ( along with development of Uche / Dugger / Jackson /  Williams /etc.) and you're a great defense that can stop the run and passing game. I'm not worried about the Oline, harris could be a good RB (need a new 3rd down back when white likely leaves), and the team can focus in FA to fix WR & TE over the next couple years. 

Assuming the Patriots aren't in love with a QB in this draft .. I could easily see them using this draft to load up on defense and take a flyer on another Stidham type player in the 4th. Free Agency would be grabbing a Alex Smith level quarterback on a 2-3 year deal as well as picking up a TE / WR .. then either next year or the year after using draft capitol to go from the middle of the first round to within the top 10 and grab a franchise QB who has a better chance of success because you've spend 2 drafts and free agencies rebuilding the team.

I'm not sold on that plan, primarily given that banking on being able to trade up for a Mahomes level talent is obviously slim... and it makes you potentially be stuck in the middle of the league forever.. but I would 100% rather grab some sure thing defensive talent in this draft than reach for a QB just because we need one. 

I dont think that you are portraying the Chiefs build accurately. They went OL and DL and secured those positions first. Then they grabbed weapons with Hunt/Hill/Kelce coming aboard over time. I don't think their defense was ever really world beating. Hell the Patriots lit them up most times they played them in the Brady era. 

That being said, I don't think a rebuild strategy is ever really a thing in the NFL. Sure you can be in a rebuild period, but to me thats just a nice way to say you suck and you need to make moves to improve talent more heavy handedly than you would otherwise. IMO, teams should always be looking to maintain solid units in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I think BB has done this throughout Brady's time here and he continues to do it. Granted the DL is slim AF right now, but the OL is pretty deep with long term starters and up incomers. In short, keep the OL/DL strong throughout, take swings at QB, and fill out the skill position and DBs as the opportunities present themselves that dont impede the first two things. The only thing that makes it a rebuild is the lack of a long term solution at QB, otherwise I think this is the strategy for roster management... always. Case in point, every 4th round or higher QB the Patriots took in the Brady era (Ryan Mallet, Jimmy G, Stidham, Brissett, Kevin O'Connel, and Rohan Davey = this is one swing every 3 years give or take of Brady's tenure) 

• Like 1

Because this thread is about QBs I'll start there. Before anything can realistically be talked about I think the Patriots have to know what they already have. Jarret Stidham has never played a game in the NFL, sure he has come in when the game is over one way or another, but he has never had a week of preparation with the first team and taken a snap when the game isn't already decided. I would like to see that before anything is done. With that said if he doesn't start games before this season is over that has to mean that the coaches don't believe that he can ever be a starter.

If Stidham has no chance the Patriots have two realistic options: Zach Wilson and Matt Jones. Wilson has shown ability but competition level scares me. There is not a team on their schedule is going to test him. Jones has questions because the talent around him is so much better than the defensive guys they are going against. He has two 1st round WR two throw to against guys that are average college guys so its hard to judge what he really has. 

There is also the rookie factor that if the Patriots draft a QB in the first then they are basically planning for two or more years of average or below before they plan to compete. How many more years do you think Belichick will keep coach? I think he is going to look for something that fixes the position for the next season rather than down the line.

The good news: The Patriots are really not that far away. While a replacement for Hightower is something that needs to be address soon, had he not opted out the run defense would certainly be better. The young players have shown signs of hope.  Onwenu is going to be a really good O-lineman. If Keene could ever get healthy he can be a valuable receiving TE. Uche looks like he can contribute. Kyle Dugger actually is good. 

To me the three areas that need to be addressed the most in the draft are TE DL and WR in no particular order. I don't think Patriots go for the short term fix at QB in the draft unless things get a lot worse. 

lots of rambling. tl/dr I have no idea what I'm talking about...