Frank Gore: HOFer?

MightyMouse07

10 hours ago, Forge said:

You know those aren't "efficiency", right? 

Again, Ward has some nice games in the playoffs, no doubt. But his overall numbers in the post season aren't anything special. He threw out some duds as well. And I don't think that the hall of fame voters are going back and thinking about a single individual play like a random 30 yard reception in the super bowl. Terrell Owens had the catch 2 against green bay, and played a super bowl on a broken leg (and had a great game at that) . And I think that you are greatly over emphasizing the italicized with regards to the voters. Can't say for sure, because I'm not in that room, but I don't think this is going to be as big as you believe it is. I don't think that they are managing it on that small of a level. 

I get that you're going all out for your guy, and I can respect that. Like I said, I don't have any issues with Ward eventually getting in, though I don't think that he will. It's just that some of the things you've said are odd; they are either opinion and something that can't be supported, or wrong. In another thread, you claimed Gore was a compiler but Bettis wasn't. You can even put Ward in the compiler category - his yards per game average is outside of the top 100 for wide receivers. Well below comparable guys like Boldin (31),  Holt (7), Bruce (tied with Boldin at 31),  Andre Johnson (15), etc.  Personally, I don't think that I'd put Gore, Bettis or Ward in my hall of fame, but that's just my opinion. The hall of fame has made some questionable decisions in the past, and they have put some comparable guys in, which gives guys like this a chance (or in Bettis' case, already in). 

Wrapping up here, maybe we can continue in a Hines Ward thread down the line. Don't think anyone can say Ward was a compiler when looking at the career. In 2009, yet another strong season of 95 receptions. In 2010, dipped to 59, as Antonio Brown started to develop. And a final season total of 46, Ward was a contributor to an AFC champion and playoff team in his last two seasons. This isn't a situation where someone was hanging around to move up the all time lists, the 2011 Steelers were a SB contender.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm not advocating for Gore (I'm trying to look at it from outside of the scope of my own opinion and what I think the HOF committee will do, and I do think he'll have a legit shot in that room), but Peterson is probably the only lock for me on my personal opinion. Shady is close - he needs about 3 more years of similar production to what he has had for me to get there. Charles and Foster were hall of fame caliber talents in my opinions, but I Think that their injuries would upend my support of them personally - I didn't like TD getting in, so I'm not sure how I can advocate for them. MJD is like the less compiled version of Gore in my opinion, so that's a no. I'm trying to think of others, but I'm drawing a blank. I think Chris Johnson is closer than you would suspect, but I don't think I'd say yes on that. 

Clinton Portis. But he fell off by the time he was 28. I thought he had more than 2 Pro Bowls. 

Am I the only one who finds it silly that a WR's hall of fame case is built on his reputation as a blocker?

As for Frank Gore, I agree with a lot of others in that I wouldn't put him in, but based on what the HOF actually looks for he probably will get in at some point.  While his career totals are probably super attractive to the voters, his recent climbing of the leaderboards hasn't been really relevant to his career value for me (he's been largely replacement level in his time in Indy despite adding over 2000 rushing yards to his totals).

• 1 month later...

I think Gore should make it into the HOF. Of course, the Hall is for the best of the best, but I think there are so many other factors that can make a guy eligible to be inducted. Gore's longevity and consistency, not even to mention the fact that he is a genuinely great player, punches his ticket for me.

54 minutes ago, zammey12 said:

I think Gore should make it into the HOF. Of course, the Hall is for the best of the best, but I think there are so many other factors that can make a guy eligible to be inducted. Gore's longevity and consistency, not even to mention the fact that he is a genuinely great player, punches his ticket for me.

Agree with Gore eventually making it to Canton, but playing too long can actually be damaging in the eyes of HOF voters. Over the last 44 games, Gore has somehow managed the paltry total of two 100 yard games. I'm struggling to think of another eventual HOF back who so ineffective over this many carries towards the end. Passing HOF backs on the all time lists loses some luster under these circumstances. It's blatantly obvious Gore isn't close the the same player he was in San Francisco, perhaps he's playing for financial reasons.   

5 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Agree with Gore eventually making it to Canton, but playing too long can actually be damaging in the eyes of HOF voters. Over the last 44 games, Gore has somehow managed the paltry total of two 100 yard games. I'm struggling to think of another eventual HOF back who so ineffective over this many carries towards the end. Passing HOF backs on the all time lists loses some luster under these circumstances. It's blatantly obvious Gore isn't close the the same player he was in San Francisco, perhaps he's playing for financial reasons.   

Emmitt Smith.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:03 AM, Carmen Cygni said:

Emmitt Smith.

But Smith already had his ticket punched well before his demise in the desert. 3x SB winner, SB MVP, NFL All Time leading rusher - the decline didn't matter because he was already in Canton based on the body of work.

Can you say the same for Gore?

On 12/4/2017 at 12:03 AM, Carmen Cygni said:

I'm struggling to think of another eventual HOF back who so ineffective over this many carries towards the end

Jerome Bettis comes to mind...

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Jerome Bettis comes to mind...

Plenty weren't too pleased about him getting in, either. Lot of talk about how his media presence and "persona " / being an icon was a major contributor in pushing him through. Gore has neither of those things, but at least he averaged above 3.9 YPC...

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Plenty weren't too pleased about him getting in, either. Lot of talk about how his media presence and "persona " / being an icon was a major contributor in pushing him through. Gore has neither of those things, but at least he averaged above 3.9 YPC...

Gore was also a much better receiver out of the backfield, and I'd argue a better blocker. In my opinion, Gore was the better overall player. And while I do agree that he doesn't have the media presence / persona, I do think that he has the story that the HOF loves (Touted recruit, blows out both knees, works his way back, blah blah blah). 

I wouldn't put Gore in, same as I wouldn't have put Bettis in...I think he has been a very good player (every now and again great, but not with any consistency) for a very long time. But I'm not going to hate it if he does get it, and I would suspect that eventually he will. 

Archived