Lion's Need GM and HC?

MortexLion

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

It could be we worse. We could have a former "Character Coach" running the ship like they now have in Houston.

Don't we have a character coaching in Detroit? just kidding...kind of.

Anyways, I just saw this article on Mlive. I'm not the biggest fan of that site, but I felt this one nailed it. The biggest issue with this team is the defense. We can argue it's Patricias game plan, but I don't think this D has the horses to accomplish much of anything. No matter what they do with the hc and gm position, I hope they seriously address the front 7 of this D. Preferably not by getting rid of the good players (I use the term loosely) and  signing lesser players to the same position. This defense is in need of some sort of identity. I hope they go all in this off season on that D.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/the-lions-shouldnt-need-last-second-record-setting-heroics-to-beat-washington-but-here-we-are.html

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Don't we have a character coaching in Detroit? just kidding...kind of.

Anyways, I just saw this article on Mlive. I'm not the biggest fan of that site, but I felt this one nailed it. The biggest issue with this team is the defense. We can argue it's Patricias game plan, but I don't think this D has the horses to accomplish much of anything. No matter what they do with the hc and gm position, I hope they seriously address the front 7 of this D. Preferably not by getting rid of the good players (I use the term loosely) and  signing lesser players to the same position. This defense is in need of some sort of identity. I hope they go all in this off season on that D.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/the-lions-shouldnt-need-last-second-record-setting-heroics-to-beat-washington-but-here-we-are.html

While I doubt this will happen, let's pretend that Patricia is brought back next season. If we're sitting somewhere around our current draft spot (16th), I don't expect them to find Stafford's replacement and will continue to try and build around him. In no particular order, our biggest needs next season are

- Wide receiver (2x)

- Defensive Tackle

- Defensive End (unless Julian Okwara or Austin Bryant start lighting things up)

- Linebacker (2x)

- Right Tackle

If Patricia/Quinn do come back I could see them re-signing Duron Harmon (making S less of an issue); CB could be the strongest position if Okudah and Oruwariye take the next steps up. 

The bulk of the needs are on the defensive side. With yet another off-season adding Quintricia picks, it is possible that we could see improvement on that side of the ball and improving the overall results of the team. D'Andre Swift is getting Alvin Kamara comps, Stafford has made some vintage #9 plays. With an improve defense, the team could be in the mix. Granted, we've been saying that for the past 3 years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Karnage84 said:

While I doubt this will happen, let's pretend that Patricia is brought back next season. If we're sitting somewhere around our current draft spot (16th), I don't expect them to find Stafford's replacement and will continue to try and build around him. In no particular order, our biggest needs next season are

- Wide receiver (2x)

- Defensive Tackle

- Defensive End (unless Julian Okwara or Austin Bryant start lighting things up)

- Linebacker (2x)

- Right Tackle

If Patricia/Quinn do come back I could see them re-signing Duron Harmon (making S less of an issue); CB could be the strongest position if Okudah and Oruwariye take the next steps up. 

The bulk of the needs are on the defensive side. With yet another off-season adding Quintricia picks, it is possible that we could see improvement on that side of the ball and improving the overall results of the team. D'Andre Swift is getting Alvin Kamara comps, Stafford has made some vintage #9 plays. With an improve defense, the team could be in the mix. Granted, we've been saying that for the past 3 years. 

Not advocating for Quinn or Patricia to be brought back but it is possible if they squeeze out an 8-8 season and are in the expanded playoff talks (or more so if they actually do make it). 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

- Wide receiver (2x)

- Defensive Tackle

- Linebacker (2x)

- Right Tackle

I'm good with a Golladay, Cephus, Amendola, Hall grouping, in some order, and I'd try and re-sign Crosby to a reasonable deal.

I'd also pour most/all draft resources into the defensive side of the ball, barring a crazy and unexpected prospect being available on offense. I'd look to DT and linebacker first.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm good with a Golladay, Cephus, Amendola, Hall grouping, in some order, and I'd try and re-sign Crosby to a reasonable deal.

I'd also pour most/all draft resources into the defensive side of the ball, barring a crazy and unexpected prospect being available on offense. I'd look to DT and linebacker first.

To me, it's a really deep WR draft and Quinn has shown that he can scout and draft mid-round WR's (KG, Fulgham, Cephus). From what I've seen so far, it's a pretty deep WR class again. I would personally double dip at WR to restock the cupboards. If you can't get a deal done with KG then you've got 2021 rookie #1, 2021 rookie #2, Cephus, Hall, Agnew as building blocks for the next 3 years. There's probably going to be 5-6 QB's drafted in rounds 1 and 2 (Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Z. Wilson, K. Trask, M. Jones) pushing some really good defensive prospects down the board. 

Also, if I'm the Lions I would be calling Deandre Baker's agent right now. He'll probably look to a contending team but it would be worth a shot in trying to shore up the secondary for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

To me, it's a really deep WR draft and Quinn has shown that he can scout and draft mid-round WR's (KG, Fulgham, Cephus). From what I've seen so far, it's a pretty deep WR class again. I would personally double dip at WR to restock the cupboards. If you can't get a deal done with KG then you've got 2021 rookie #1, 2021 rookie #2, Cephus, Hall, Agnew as building blocks for the next 3 years. There's probably going to be 5-6 QB's drafted in rounds 1 and 2 (Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Z. Wilson, K. Trask, M. Jones) pushing some really good defensive prospects down the board. 

Also, if I'm the Lions I would be calling Deandre Baker's agent right now. He'll probably look to a contending team but it would be worth a shot in trying to shore up the secondary for a long time. 

I'd be shocked and concerned if they couldn't get a deal done with Golladay. We need to keep that guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I really like Micah Parsons out of Penn State. I wouldn't mind seeing a stud lb as the pick. That is if no DE or DT warrant a pick at that time.

Worst case scenario for me is for Quinn to not resign KG and then go out and sign a different WR. Then sign career backups coming off their rookie contracts for the defense at key positions of need. Then draft Travis Etinenne in the second round (and I'm a big fan of his) because it's a bargain for him.

30 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'd be shocked and concerned if they couldn't get a deal done with Golladay. We need to keep that guy.

My guess is that we franchise tag him and he then goes somewhere else in 2022. I really like Kenny G and he is our best offensive player. It's just a big cap hit and Quinn does seem to have a good eye for WR's. So if you do double dip in the draft (by acquiring additional draft capital) there's a better chance of us landing a couple really good players as opposed to relying on just Kenny G. 

32 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I really like Micah Parsons out of Penn State. I wouldn't mind seeing a stud lb as the pick. That is if no DE or DT warrant a pick at that time.

Worst case scenario for me is for Quinn to not resign KG and then go out and sign a different WR. Then sign career backups coming off their rookie contracts for the defense at key positions of need. Then draft Travis Etinenne in the second round (and I'm a big fan of his) because it's a bargain for him.

Agreed but it wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the top 10. 

It is SO early in the process so this could change completely but I don't know of any top tier DT's that would warrant a pick at #16 and change this defense. The Draft Network only has one guy with a 1st round grade at this point. There's likely going to be 4-5 guys drafted in rd 1 but that doesn't mean they're rd 1 talents. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed but it wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the top 10. 

It is SO early in the process so this could change completely but I don't know of any top tier DT's that would warrant a pick at #16 and change this defense. The Draft Network only has one guy with a 1st round grade at this point. There's likely going to be 4-5 guys drafted in rd 1 but that doesn't mean they're rd 1 talents. 

Yeah, I heard this draft is skimpy on IDL. Not sure about the edge.

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, I heard this draft is skimpy on IDL. Not sure about the edge.

I haven't seen a lot of top end Edge guys either. 

# of Rd 1 (rated 1- 32) players according to TDN

WR: 4

DT: 1

Edge: 3

LB: 2

QB: 4

OT: 7

CB: 5

TE: 2 < Just because we always need a 1st rd TE

I've been begging for a defense heavy draft for a few years now. I just don't see it happening, especially in this years draft that is not deep defensively.

I think we can all agree that defense is our main downfall, but IMO, that doesn't absolve Quinntricia, it's THEIR defense. This is the defensive roster they built. They brought in "their guys". Maybe I'm slow this morning, but I can't think of one defensive player that wasn't brought in by Quinn. As for coaching the defense, Patricia is the mad scientist who was touted as the guy who can form any defense around the players he has out there. So how can he not coach up a defense that he's built? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I've been begging for a defense heavy draft for a few years now. I just don't see it happening, especially in this years draft that is not deep defensively.

I think we can all agree that defense is our main downfall, but IMO, that doesn't absolve Quinntricia, it's THEIR defense. This is the defensive roster they built. They brought in "their guys". Maybe I'm slow this morning, but I can't think of one defensive player that wasn't brought in by Quinn. As for coaching the defense, Patricia is the mad scientist who was touted as the guy who can form any defense around the players he has out there. So how can he not coach up a defense that he's built? 

In fairness, Quinn has been managing the team for 5 off-seasons. When the average turnover is about 1/3 per year, he's going to have had his fingerprints on nearly every guy on the roster. 

I do agree though...we have a defensive minded HC and they've had 3 off-seasons for Patricia to bring in "his guys" and reshape the roster to fit his system. Clearly hasn't been working.