Titans Playoff Watch (Again...smh) 2020

KingTitan

6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

This defense just makes me feel so helpless

im not gonna sit here and say I don’t want us to make the playoffs lol. Obviously I want the playoffs, super bowl, everything. 

with this D, though, it just feel like the worst is yet to come. We haven’t improved in the slightest all year. Now we are on the brink of a playoff berth..something like 94% chance we clinch a spot. 

“Anything can happen” in the playoffs and that’s true. But how can anyone look at this defense and convince themselves “yea they could maybe put it together in January!”

its just a really, really bad and poorly coached group. Many are at fault. It takes a village to be THIS terrible. Injuries obviously played a part. But I just can’t shake the feeling that a playoff team...any playoff team really...is going to just embarrass us like GB/Cleveland did

The players are also sucking.

Sunday Night, on a TD pass to Adams, he was double teamed and  Butler and Vacarro just both lost sight of him as he backdoored them. lol

Also same play Rodgers didn't have anyone within 8 yards of him. 

I think that is the stuff Vrabel sees and be like what else can we do?  (not taking up for the coaches..lol)  But when you call a defense that doubles the guy that ends up getting the TD and you don't win against your block, that's not coaching as much. 

There was an article earlier this year about how Belichick did something similar to Vrabel back in..2010? somewhere around there, where he decided not to hire someone to take over the defense after having a DC in the years before that, and despite Belichick being maybe the greatest defensive mind to ever live, he suffered a similar fate, one of the worst defenses in all of football and a team that had to get carried to the post season by it's offense, but couldn't do a ton once there due to said defense.

After that Belichick has always put someone in place in charge of the defense, whether in DC title or not, and stepped away from trying to do so much himself.

Hopefully Vrabel takes the same approach.

13 hours ago, titanrick said:

Ok, but they were pooping themselves during our comeback. We played like garbage in the first half and nearly erased all of it. 

They tried to run out the clock

If they played as aggressive In the 2nd half as they did the 1st half they would have scored 66 points 

Anytime the Titans needed a big stop or a big play on offense to attempt that comeback the Titans couldn’t make the play 

54 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The players are also sucking.

Sunday Night, on a TD pass to Adams, he was double teamed and  Butler and Vacarro just both lost sight of him as he backdoored them. lol

Also same play Rodgers didn't have anyone within 8 yards of him. 

I think that is the stuff Vrabel sees and be like what else can we do?  (not taking up for the coaches..lol)  But when you call a defense that doubles the guy that ends up getting the TD and you don't win against your block, that's not coaching as much. 

Yeah I totally agree - the players are playing awful. They’re as big of an issue as the coaching 

I think I read the same article @TitanLegend referred to. I’m not a football player, I’m not even close to having an idea of what it’s like in meeting rooms, etc. 

This defense needs a single voice/reference point to guide them. If it’s Bowen, make him DC and then hire a new OLB coach. 
people need defined roles. That’s in ANY professional capacity ... whether you’re working fast food, in corporate, or a pro athlete/coach. 

edit - think this is the article @titanlegend mentioned

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/10/31/bill-belichick-mike-vrabel-dean-pees-titans-patriots-coach-nfl/6011325002/

Edited by deeluxx3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

They tried to run out the clock

If they played as aggressive In the 2nd half as they did the 1st half they would have scored 66 points 

Anytime the Titans needed a big stop or a big play on offense to attempt that comeback the Titans couldn’t make the play 

We'll have to disagree on that.  We outscored them 28-3 after half time.  There were plenty of big plays.  Just a couple too few to complete the comeback.

Emotion and momentum play enormous roles in a football game.  It's not all Xs and Os.  We came out flat and got it handed to us in the first half.  Same with the Pittsburgh game earlier in the year.  Things were much different in the Bills, Ravens and second Colts game.  This team is capable of winning any game it plays.  It's also capable of coming out flat and being humiliated by a lesser team.  That makes us just like 31 other teams.

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Yeah I totally agree - the players are playing awful. They’re as big of an issue as the coaching 

I think I read the same article @TitanLegend referred to. I’m not a football player, I’m not even close to having an idea of what it’s like in meeting rooms, etc. 

This defense needs a single voice/reference point to guide them. If it’s Bowen, make him DC and then hire a new OLB coach. 
people need defined roles. That’s in ANY professional capacity ... whether you’re working fast food, in corporate, or a pro athlete/coach. 

edit - think this is the article @titanlegend mentioned

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/10/31/bill-belichick-mike-vrabel-dean-pees-titans-patriots-coach-nfl/6011325002/

Yup, that's it. Good find.

5 hours ago, titanrick said:

We'll have to disagree on that.  We outscored them 28-3 after half time.  There were plenty of big plays.  Just a couple too few to complete the comeback.

Emotion and momentum play enormous roles in a football game.  It's not all Xs and Os.  We came out flat and got it handed to us in the first half.  Same with the Pittsburgh game earlier in the year.  Things were much different in the Bills, Ravens and second Colts game.  This team is capable of winning any game it plays.  It's also capable of coming out flat and being humiliated by a lesser team.  That makes us just like 31 other teams.

AJ Brown with a big drop late in that game 

3rd and 12? 3rd and what ever it was Titans couldn’t stop them 

The scoreboard says the game was close but it never really was 

Im not off the bandwagon like most people are in here and on Twitter 

I think we will win Sun

I think we win the home game 

And from there we see what happens 

As frustrating as everything is, Vrabel and Arthur Smith come up big more times than not so we’ll see what happens 

Edited by Titans fan 617

On 12/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, KingTitan said:

Then at the same time, it's wild that we are a winning team considering the terrible state of our defense. 
I think it says how great our offense is.....

I’m not trying to be all “doom and gloom” here. Just trying to objectively talk about this defense 

this anecdotal stat right here is just crushing. It’s a testament to the O that we are 10-5, because the inability to rush the passer is probably one of the biggest problems a team can have. Probably #2 behind not being able to pass the ball. 

I know we have injuries. But there is still enough genuine “talent” on this defense to be able to manufacture at least some sort of pass rush. This has been the perfect storm of poor coaching and poor play from players. 

and it’s resulted in what truly is — and this is no exaggeration at this point — one of the worst defenses of all time. 

how does a defense with guys like Byard, Vaccaro, Butler, Brown/Long/Evans, Simmons, D Jones and Landry playing for the majority of the year end up THIS bad?

im not even trying to overrate those guys. But all of them have proven to be serviceable at the minimum throughout their careers.

just bad all around. 

On 12/29/2020 at 6:46 AM, deeluxx3 said:

with two abysmal performances against playoff teams in the past month

like...'didn't belong on the same field' abysmal

and two dominating wins against Playoff teams in the past month as well...

and saying Indy BLEW it..  well they won two games against Houston they should have lost... including a win against GB in OT where GB played abysmal compared to the team that showed up against us. turning the ball over multiple times late including in OT "giving INDY the win"

Just need to win Sunday..   there are no notes in the record books how you did it just that you did.    I guarantee you the players don't care like the fans do about "earning it" or "not earning it". 

Just win baby and move on..  

This team knows what to do ..  knows what it is like to win and play dominate football.   While the D is a weak leak (to say the least), the D can and has stepped up in games the last month and half primarily in the second half 

Still this upcoming game is a real unknown and I am as nervous about it as everyone else.

• Like 1