The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

1 hour ago, cp0k2 said:

So glad to be rid of Kelly Stafford. Her being out of this city and the sphere around team is an underrated bonus of that trade. 

Uh ohhh... Jimmy G is the backup in LA now...

• 2 weeks later...

Wings signed Vladamir Tarasenko. Seems reasonable but kind of unexciting.

They also traded Fabbri to the Ducks for some extra cap space and a goalie "prospect" that doesn't appear to be very good.

I don't have strong feelings about the roster construction either way. We really, really got screwed by the lottery system.

12 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

They also traded Fabbri to the Ducks for some extra cap space and a goalie "prospect" that doesn't appear to be very good.

I don't have strong feelings about the roster construction either way. We really, really got screwed by the lottery system.

You might be pleasantly surprised by Nate Danielson.

On 7/3/2024 at 7:29 PM, nagahide13 said:

We definitely have been screwed in the lottery but also it hasn’t really impacted the outcomes much. Dropping from 1 to 4 sucked but Raymond has outproduced Lefreniere so far and is the third best player from that class at this point. Neither of the top 2 would have been the pick if we selected at 1 or 2.  

Similarly in 2019, Mo Seider has been the best player from that class so far. 

The 2021 draft is too recent to really know but Edvinsson is promising and likely up most or all of the year next year. Cossa looks like a bright spot too and will likely get a chance later this year or next to take over as our G for a while.

I agree the roster construction is all over the place and we are missing super stars but the youth is developing into that hopefully and we have some exciting prospects. It’s such a slow burn but we have a top 5 farm, Stevie Y has been the best drafter since taking over. And we aren’t in a bad spot financially long term.  I hate that we have struggled to get back to the playoffs for so long but if one or two of these prospects pan out, we should be set up for long term success.  

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We definitely have been screwed in the lottery but also it hasn’t really impacted the outcomes much. Dropping from 1 to 4 sucked but Raymond has outproduced Lefreniere so far and is the third best player from that class at this point. Neither of the top 2 would have been the pick if we selected at 1 or 2.  

Similarly in 2019, Mo Seider has been the best player from that class so far. 

The 2021 draft is too recent to really know but Edvinsson is promising and likely up most or all of the year next year. Cossa looks like a bright spot too and will likely get a chance later this year or next to take over as our G for a while.

I agree the roster construction is all over the place and we are missing super stars but the youth is developing into that hopefully and we have some exciting prospects. It’s such a slow burn but we have a top 5 farm, Stevie Y has been the best drafter since taking over. And we aren’t in a bad spot financially long term.  I hate that we have struggled to get back to the playoffs for so long but if one or two of these prospects pan out, we should be set up for long term success.  

When he took over the team, the rosters in Detroit and Grand Rapids were pretty bereft of talent.   I think Steve Yzerman is taking a bit of an old-school approach to rebuilding talent pipeline.  He is letting players develop a little longer in Grand Rapids than a lot of teams would when they are rebuilding.  We have a bit of a log-jam in Grand Rapids that should start to clear up as the younger players are able to establish themselves.  

I like the fact that he is building fairly deep talent pipelines at all positions.  We have goalies Sebastian Cossa and Carter Gylander developing in Grand Rapids.  Trey Augustine is doing pretty well at Michigan State and they just drafted Landon Miller.  Defensemen Albert Johansson, Shai Buium, William Wallander and Simon Edvinsson seem like they are not too far off from being NHL-ready.  The have a bunch of young forwards in Nate Danielson, Marco Kasper, Carter Mazur and Jonatan Bergrenn and Elmer Soderblom who all seem to be headed for some kind of NHL role.  Michael Brandsigg-Nygard seems like he is a pretty complete prospect and should move up the ranks quickly.  They probably have a number of other players playing in college or overseas that I am leaving out also.  

The problem with prospect pools is so few actually make meaningful contributions at the NHL level. Prospect pools are ranked by media types who generally don’t have the knowledge required to accurately list the prospects.

The Wings have lots of players in the pipeline but at this point Cossa appears to be the best bet of the bunch and should play in the NHL next season.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

The problem with prospect pools is so few actually make meaningful contributions at the NHL level. Prospect pools are ranked by media types who generally don’t have the knowledge required to accurately list the prospects.

The Wings have lots of players in the pipeline but at this point Cossa appears to be the best bet of the bunch and should play in the NHL next season.

Some of it comes down to the fact that it takes hockey players longer to develop.  Most of them spend at least a year in the AHL or college.  Sometimes more  Most of the NHL prospects are younger than most sports being drafted when they are 18.  Kasper, Danielson and Brandsigg-Nygard seem like the real deal though.  Same goes for Edvinsson, Buium, and Johansson.

On 7/6/2024 at 11:48 AM, Just Want A Title said:

Some of it comes down to the fact that it takes hockey players longer to develop.  Most of them spend at least a year in the AHL or college.  Sometimes more  Most of the NHL prospects are younger than most sports being drafted when they are 18.  Kasper, Danielson and Brandsigg-Nygard seem like the real deal though.  Same goes for Edvinsson, Buium, and Johansson.

I’m well aware of the maturation process of 18 year old players. I also know that until a player makes the NHL they’re either prospects or journeymen AHL players. 

You’ve listed 6 players that seem to be the real deal. Seeming like the real deal and being the real deal are far different. You mention Danielson as the real deal the player has played two games not at the junior level. He’s a prospect, nothing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m well aware of the maturation process of 18 year old players. I also know that until a player makes the NHL they’re either prospects or journeymen AHL players. 

You’ve listed 6 players that seem to be the real deal. Seeming like the real deal and being the real deal are far different. You mention Danielson as the real deal the player has played two games not at the junior level. He’s a prospect, nothing more.

Some folks seem to hang onto prospects or players that seem like good story. Same thing happens with scrub QBs on practice squad as the next best thing since sliced bread. 

Hockey is a crapshoot imo. The game is a different beast 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Some folks seem to hang onto prospects or players that seem like good story. Same thing happens with scrub QBs on practice squad as the next best thing since sliced bread. 

Hockey is a crapshoot imo. The game is a different beast 

I agree with you to a certain extent.  Teams have gotten pretty good with the top 15-20 picks in the first round but after that, it is all over the place.   Even the best goaltender prospects like Sebastion Cossa and Jesper Wallstedt who were taken at #15 and #20 in the first round take time to develop.  They were the top goalies in that draft class as I recall.

The youngest goalie I can recall that came to the NHL and did well was Andrei Vaseleski.  I think he was 20 in his first season.  Interestingly enough, he was drafted by Steve Yzerman.

Edited by Just Want A Title

• 1 month later...