Thanksgiving Special - Game 1: Lions (4-6) vs Texans (3-7)

Bearerofnews

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"I'll happily wait for additional responses to come in."

You know, the full post.

Then that's where you're going to start to argue semantics, right?

I'll be here, waiting to hear whatever contrived respond you'll have.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:57 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

One thing we do have is the purging of the group of players that hated Patricia (Quin, Slay and Diggs being the primary members), which gave those players a chance to speak out when they left. They did just that. The Slay story is what came of it, and not much else.

...and the tea is now getting spilled:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/ex-lions-players-dont-hold-back-in-aftermath-of-matt-patricia-bob-quinns-firing.html?outputType=amp

This was widely expected. As @candyman93 said, this is the portrait of a - well, yeah. Things don't start coming out until the eulogy.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/ex-lions-players-dont-hold-back-in-aftermath-of-matt-patricia-bob-quinns-firing.html?outputType=amp

This was widely expected. As @candyman93 said, this is the portrait of a - well, yeah. Things don't start coming out until the eulogy.

I almost feel bad being 100% right lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I did say: "Sure, there might be something else there. Something we don't know about right now." It doesn't surprise me that some former players didn't like him. That isn't really news.

Aside from former players not liking him, what "tea" was really "spilled" from that link? What big stories broke? What other examples emerged?

20 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Aside from former players not liking him

That was the argument, right? People didn't like him? 

But, if you want more:

And this isn't even a full 24 hours in. Players aren't giving specifics, but you don't have to be an expert in reading between the lines to see what they're saying.

I think we're talking past each other.

Not once did I deny that there was likely more out there. It's no secret that Patricia wasn't a "friendly" coach. Actually, he was the exact opposite of Caldwell, a "nice" coach, and the players loved Caldwell. That was one of the big problems with Patricia's arrival.

I've always believed, likely based on my background (military and law enforcement), that one doesn't have to *like* their boss. (I know I've disliked a bunch of mine.) I would've probably disliked Patricia to a point, had I played for him: the guy came off as rude and arrogant, despite having accomplished nothing as a head coach. That'll absolutely rub a lot of people the wrong way.

My only issue: there's really nothing wrong with being rude and arrogant, unless you don't win games. Had the Lions' won more - had Swift not dropped a pass that hit him in the chest in week 1, had Stafford not missed half of the 2019 season, had they stopped a Mahomes 4th down scramble in 2019, had the refs not imagined Bakhtiari's face extended to his shoulder in the 4th quarter in 2019, had Flowers and Golladay not missed significant time in 2020 - Patricia is most likely still employed as the head coach of the Detroit Lions. And I would've been supportive of that.

Jerk coaches can also be successful coaches. Patricia, from all that we know, was a jerk. It'll rub some players the wrong way. Patricia absolutely did. And, really, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m out of likes ET.

I need footballs more than I need air in my lungs! Tell your friends!

8 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My only issue: there's really nothing wrong with being rude and arrogant, unless you don't win games.

All things considered, I can agree with this. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

That was the argument, right? People didn't like him? 

But, if you want more:

And this isn't even a full 24 hours in. Players aren't giving specifics, but you don't have to be an expert in reading between the lines to see what they're saying.

The same happened with Bill O'Brien

And Josh McDaniels in Denver.