Jump to content
KingTitan

From "The Guy of the Guy"

Recommended Posts

Right on! You cited PFF... Checkmate.

Lol... 

But if you must cite PFF, there's this... https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-tennessee-cb-malcolm-butlers-2018-campaign-was-a-tale-of-two-halves

First I hear of this (or Butler's ridiculously low score by them). But it pretty much reinforces what I posted earlier about him... 

"Fortunately for Tennessee, Butler reminded them exactly why they coveted him in free agency by finishing the season with an 83.1 coverage grade over their final eight games. Butler appeared to have flipped the switch starting in Week 10 – just in time for his former squad to roll into town. In a Week 10 showdown with the Patriots, Butler played 42 snaps in coverage and yielded a minuscule 0.27 yards per coverage snap, as he only allowed 11 total yards on two targets.

Five of his highest-graded games came in the second half of the season, including his best performance in Week 13 against the New York Jets. In this contest, Butler recorded his highest single-game coverage grade (91.7) since 2016 while only allowing a passer rating of 8.3. 

The fifth-year pro was spectacular down the stretch: of all corners who played at least 100 snaps in Weeks 10-17, Butler finished with the third-lowest passer rating allowed(40.4) and sixth in coverage grade (83.1).

2018 was the tale of two halves for Butler, but how he ended the season should leave Tennessee feeling plenty optimistic. Producing consistently over a full season will prove to be key for Butler, and it can help improve a Titans unit that finished 13th in our end-of-year defensive secondary rankings."

 

For as bad as it got for Butler, it never got as bad as the 9/155/2 game Jackson had against Hilton. PFF didn't really beat Jackson up about it either. Wonder if it had anything to do with Jackson being one of PFFs preseason breakout candidates... Surely they wouldn't be biased.

Also in their season ending rankings, they say of Adoree, "Jackson was picked on ruthlessly in the Titans’ defense, getting 105 passes thrown his way this season. He continued his high-level of play, though, allowing a catch rate of 62.9 and had seven pass breakups."  I honestly never heard of a 62.9 completion % against being cited for a CBs high level of play. But wtf do I know, right? And what do opposing coaches and QBs know... Just continue picking on our "best" CB, to the tune of 7 attempts per game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Right on! You cited PFF... Checkmate.

Lol... 

But if you must cite PFF, there's this... https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-tennessee-cb-malcolm-butlers-2018-campaign-was-a-tale-of-two-halves

First I hear of this (or Butler's ridiculously low score by them). But it pretty much reinforces what I posted earlier about him... 

"Fortunately for Tennessee, Butler reminded them exactly why they coveted him in free agency by finishing the season with an 83.1 coverage grade over their final eight games. Butler appeared to have flipped the switch starting in Week 10 – just in time for his former squad to roll into town. In a Week 10 showdown with the Patriots, Butler played 42 snaps in coverage and yielded a minuscule 0.27 yards per coverage snap, as he only allowed 11 total yards on two targets.

Five of his highest-graded games came in the second half of the season, including his best performance in Week 13 against the New York Jets. In this contest, Butler recorded his highest single-game coverage grade (91.7) since 2016 while only allowing a passer rating of 8.3. 

The fifth-year pro was spectacular down the stretch: of all corners who played at least 100 snaps in Weeks 10-17, Butler finished with the third-lowest passer rating allowed(40.4) and sixth in coverage grade (83.1).

2018 was the tale of two halves for Butler, but how he ended the season should leave Tennessee feeling plenty optimistic. Producing consistently over a full season will prove to be key for Butler, and it can help improve a Titans unit that finished 13th in our end-of-year defensive secondary rankings."

 

For as bad as it got for Butler, it never got as bad as the 9/155/2 game Jackson had against Hilton. PFF didn't really beat Jackson up about it either. Wonder if it had anything to do with Jackson being one of PFFs preseason breakout candidates... Surely they wouldn't be biased.

Also in their season ending rankings, they say of Adoree, "Jackson was picked on ruthlessly in the Titans’ defense, getting 105 passes thrown his way this season. He continued his high-level of play, though, allowing a catch rate of 62.9 and had seven pass breakups."  I honestly never heard of a 62.9 completion % against being cited for a CBs high level of play. But wtf do I know, right? And what do opposing coaches and QBs know... Just continue picking on our "best" CB, to the tune of 7 attempts per game. 

And again Adoree was solid not great, I’ve stated why I feel he’s like a 84 to me, though you made him sound like a bust like Kevin white... I’ll still take Adoree over butler, because if you want the truth the Titans also his butler, the beginning of the season butler & Adoree were our 2 starting outside corners & Logan was our nickle.. after butler constant struggles pees put Ryan as our starting CB opposite of Adoree & nickel situations he kicked Logan inside & will bring butler on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're basing your "rankings" of them based on thoughts, feelings, preferences, etc... and not on stats.  Let me share some stats and you tell me who's who based on those stats.  Now keep in mind, I've never once said Butler was good in the first half of the season (although I do think his coverage was just "off" on a couple of the deep passes he gave up early on)... but have shown you how good he was in the 2nd half.  Even if his snap count went down a little (it didn't), efficiency stats like passer rating against (whichI cited above from PFF as a counter to your PFF based argument) are based on a per play basis... and snap count wouldn't affect it.  

Here are some stats from another analytics website (playerprofiler).  Can you tell who is who?

14k9zjd.jpg

 

As far as on a game to game basis, you can clearly see how Butler got better as the season went on.  

 

295wmrs.jpg

 

Here are Adoree's per game stats to compare.  You can see Butler was clearly the more efficient  since the NEP game.  My argument is that as long as he continues playing at this level (post week 9... and really his worse games all happened in the first 4 weeks of the season) in 2019, there's no way in hell he's not back in 2020.

 

m9u54m.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think you're basing your "rankings" of them based on thoughts, feelings, preferences, etc... and not on stats.  Let me share some stats and you tell me who's who based on those stats.  Now keep in mind, I've never once said Butler was good in the first half of the season (although I do think his coverage was just "off" on a couple of the deep passes he gave up early on)... but have shown you how good he was in the 2nd half.  Even if his snap count went down a little (it didn't), efficiency stats like passer rating against (whichI cited above from PFF as a counter to your PFF based argument) are based on a per play basis... and snap count wouldn't affect it.  

Here are some stats from another analytics website (playerprofiler).  Can you tell who is who?

14k9zjd.jpg

 

As far as on a game to game basis, you can clearly see how Butler got better as the season went on.  

 

295wmrs.jpg

 

Here are Adoree's per game stats to compare.  You can see Butler was clearly the more efficient  since the NEP game.  My argument is that as long as he continues playing at this level (post week 9... and really his worse games all happened in the first 4 weeks of the season) in 2019, there's no way in hell he's not back in 2020.

 

m9u54m.jpg

 

I understand that what you said about butler, but you mad Adoree sounds like he’s a bust when you brought up Kevin white. Adoree is solid he can be great if he becomes a student of the game but I’ve always been very critical of him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Guy of the Guy:

  • Positive talks started with Vaccaro. Eric Reid's deal provided a market ballpark.  Team wants him back. Does Kenny think he could get more when FA opens? Contract structure important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

From the Guy of the Guy:

  • Positive talks started with Vaccaro. Eric Reid's deal provided a market ballpark.  Team wants him back. Does Kenny think he could get more when FA opens? Contract structure important.

That’s good to here.. I wonder what the plan will be for Cyp. Release him or use a 3 safety look or   Use him in a mark Barron role as a LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 615finest said:

That’s good to here.. I wonder what the plan will be for Cyp. Release him or use a 3 safety look or   Use him in a mark Barron role as a LB

Release him because we’d have no need for an safety who is pretty bad in coverage. No role for him as a LB either with our depth there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Release him because we’d have no need for an safety who is pretty bad in coverage. No role for him as a LB either with our depth there.

If we want to go 3 safety look insert Dane didn’t thought of that till now makes perfect sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Guy:

Za'Darius Smith and Tyrell Williams are looking to be the two big ticket free agent targets of FA. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

From the Guy:

Za'Darius Smith and Tyrell Williams are looking to be the two big ticket free agent targets of FA. 
 

I'm with it. then improve in the trenches in the draft and take a project WR and a project pass rusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

From the Guy:

Za'Darius Smith and Tyrell Williams are looking to be the two big ticket free agent targets of FA. 
 

Hey I like it. Smith is a given considering his experience in that defense. Very good at setting the edge. Williams would be a nice pickup. Can play outside and really stretch the defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

From the Guy:

Za'Darius Smith and Tyrell Williams are looking to be the two big ticket free agent targets of FA. 
 

I would definitely approve of those moves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I would definitely approve of those moves

I'm still cautious. Because Bouye was the big ticket target that off-season but we have our limits. Robinson is willing to spend but if it gets ridiculous I could see us bow out pretty quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm still cautious. Because Bouye was the big ticket target that off-season but we have our limits. Robinson is willing to spend but if it gets ridiculous I could see us bow out pretty quickly.

Yea I don’t expect him to get outrageous and overpay. I just like hearing us going after the prize FAs.. that was a rare thing for awhile 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×