Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This is what I disagree with cause when you ignore things like “fumbles” saying it’s not a big factor. maybe I’m old school but ball security is the main factor in a qb imo.

Curious what’s the biggest factors you value in a qbs?

Its funny because if he throws the quick pass then fans crap on him for never going deep.  If he tries to go deep and has to hold onto the ball longer then he's bound to fumble more.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  He went deep quite often this season compared to last year.  I'm happy with the results.  Our offense led us to 8 wins.  Our defense led us to 8 losses.  It isn't that simple, but its pretty close.

QBs left in the playoffs this season

-4 Super Bowl Winning MVPs (Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rodgers)

- 2 #1 overall draft picks (Mayfield, Goff)

- Last years MVP and break out player (Jackson)

- This years break out QB and possible MVP (Allen)

If your team doesn't have an elite QB, you're going to get bounced in the playoffs IF ( a big if)  you make it to the party by one that does

Edited by bucksavage1

35 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

hmm def did not mean to imply its not a big factor or that im overlooking them. Just that it doesnt write the whole story for a QB. 

biggest factors for me in a QB;
Smart - Can you read on D presnap? do you understand where the ball should go? can you audible in to / out of certain looks.  - - - > probably cliche but this to me is the number 1 thing I want in my qb. I think Carr is pretty smart, he has been through a number of systems, playcallers and has shown he has the ability to get the right read off.
         - May be related to this or not, but my biggest frustratiion with Carr is if it is 3rd and 4, and you can run for 5 . . . just get the yards. Id argue that is 'Smart' football, but others may see it more as like playmaking? 

Passing Ability - Can you make all the throws? Is my passing game called different because you cannot hit certain routes?
     - - - > Carr has the ability i think to make every throw - why we dont throw more sideline backshoulder passes is beyond me. I also hate Carrs deep ball cause he chucks it a mile high, but ive seen him throw ropes.

Accuracy - understanding ball placement and how to throw a receiver open. 
 - - - > Carr struggles with placements on certain routes. His deep ball towards the sideline, is usually OB, his slants are typically high. However, again, his backshoulder passes are normally pin point. 

Play making ability - do you understand how to work a pocket? 
- - - > Carr really bad here. 

- - - 
Obviously these are pretty generic things, but that would be my starting point I guess?

Thanks me I’d say

1) Leadership gotta be a Batman type lead by example put the team on your back if you have to. Gotta have the biggest pair in the huddle.  *meh 50/50 on this

2) ball security which includes fumbles, ints. Also ties into knowledge or awareness esp situational awareness. *He’s good with low ints but the fumbling is annoying af

3) Physical traits- gotta have a arm, be mobile 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

100% agreed. Can't win in the NFL consistently at the top if you don't have one. And if he isn't, certainly can't be the highest paid player on the team. 

I don't even know why we are using Batman as a reference for DC.  The Justice League is more fitting.  We don't have a Justice League; 7 really talented players.  We have like 4 (I'm including DC).  DC, Hudson, Waller, Jacobs.  We have no Justice League members on defense.  None.  Not one on the DL, not one at LB, and definitely not one at DB.

16 minutes ago, Jerry said:

This is a ridiculous argument.  He's the 16th highest paid QB in the league.  Carson Wentz, Jimmy G., Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater are all higher paid than him.  Almost every single player below him is still on their rookie contracts.  He is one of the lowest paid starting veteran QBs in the league.  Don't compare him to other players on the team, compare him to other QBs in the league.  If he was getting paid 35M a season then heck yeah he better be wearing the Batman costume.  But right now with the cap he is saving us compared to other teams we should have way more talent throughout the roster.  We just suck at FA and the draft as we all obviously know.

He’s the qb and the longest tenured player iirc he’s gotta Be batman. If he’s not the leader in the huddle we need a new qb 

6 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

- Last years MVP and braek out player (Jackson)

If your team doesn't have an elite QB, you're going to get bounced in the playoffs IF ( a big if)  you make it to the party by one that does

DC helped us beat three of those teams.  I know, I know.  Disappointing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

- Last years MVP and break out player (Jackson)

DC helped us beat three of those teams.  I know, I know.  Disappointing.

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Its funny because if he throws the quick pass then fans crap on him for never going deep.  If he tries to go deep and has to hold onto the ball longer then he's bound to fumble more.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  He went deep quite often this season compared to last year.  I'm happy with the results.  Our offense led us to 8 wins.  Our defense led us to 8 losses.  It isn't that simple, but its pretty close.

Did you watch the games or read the box scores? Impossible to pin every loss on the defense. 

Patriots loss: Offense scores 10 points until the 4th Quarter vs the Patriots. Defense gets routed due to being on the field too long

Browns Win: Browns scored 6 points

There's a few other examples too this season

Edited by bucksavage1

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Did you watch the games or read the box scores? Impossible to pin every loss on the defense. 

Patriots loss: Offense scores 10 points until the 4th Quarter vs the Patriots. Defense gets routed due to being on the field too long

Browns Win: Browns scored 6 points

There's a few other examples too this season

I blame the Patriots loss on coaching and our defense being unable to stop their run at all.  They were running sweeps and killing us.  I believe their RB White tore us up that game.  I could look up the stats but yeah I watched our defense get ran all over and J. Gruden fail to put together a game plan on Belichik's level.  Pretty sure we travelled that game. 

Browns had insane weather that game.  Can't believe we won it.  Mayfield was terrible that game.  I could look up his stats but anyone that saw the game new the wind was taking that ball wherever it wanted.  DC had to throw quick low passes to keep the ball from sailing in the air and ending up in the defense's hands.  

I literally wrote at the end of my post that it wasn't that simple, but pretty close.  Meaning there were 2-3 games where our offense definitely played a part in us losing.  Atlanta is one of them.  I'm just saying, our defense sucks.  We all know that.

25 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Thanks me I’d say

1) Leadership gotta be a Batman type lead by example put the team on your back if you have to. Gotta have the biggest pair in the huddle.  *meh 50/50 on this

2) ball security which includes fumbles, ints. Also ties into knowledge or awareness esp situational awareness. *He’s good with low ints but the fumbling is annoying af

3) Physical traits- gotta have a arm, be mobile 

man to your point 1, I know some of our players love Carr but whenever we turn the ball over, i feel like the camera just always shows Carr sitting by himself on the bench. 
I wish he was he was getting with the WRs , or olineman tyring to get his team fired up. 

2 - I agree ball security is important, but I wish he was more aggresive at times. Low Ints is great, but is that why we have so many 3 and outs? His fumbles def need to be worked on, nothing to add there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

man to your point 1, I know some of our players love Carr but whenever we turn the ball over, i feel like the camera just always shows Carr sitting by himself on the bench. 
I wish he was he was getting with the WRs , or olineman tyring to get his team fired up. 

2 - I agree ball security is important, but I wish he was more aggresive at times. Low Ints is great, but is that why we have so many 3 and outs? His fumbles def need to be worked on, nothing to add there. 

I see him constantly reviewing plays on the tablets when he gets to the sideline.  He probably does get with the WRs and OL at times.  But they aren't going to just watch him for 3 straight hours every single game.  Of course they're going to zoom in on him when he looks like he's ready to go Darth Vader on everyone.  There's nothing wrong with needing a minute to sit down and breathe before getting back into the game.  At least he doesn't go all Paxton Lynch and start crying on the sideline.  

Obviously I'm a huge fan of DC and still want him as our QB.

• Like 1