The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

17 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think this is pretty fair.

This team will only get over the hump if they can finally pressure with 4 and/or add an elite player to this defense.

This team is in trouble as well inside the division. Mahomes is going to be a problem for another 10-12 years. And Herbert looks every bit capable of stardom and they will pair him with the right coach. 

Then you look at the conference and you've got several teams that outclass the Raiders in talent, coaching or both (Bills, Dolphins, Colts, Titans, Browns, Ravens, Steelers, Pats).

What tiny window the Raiders might have had is fast closing. Teams like the Dolphins were able to flip the switch quick on their rebuild while the Raiders look like they need to start over. It's maddening. 

Unless the Raiders young player drastically improve this offseason, I just don't see how this team competes in the AFC currently. Carr is good not great to carry them and their is no start talent walking in on defense to get that unit to even average right now.

This offseason is make or break in my opinion.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 6:26 AM, big_palooka said:

Carr has played well this season as he should 3 years into Gruden's offense. He still leaves a lot of plays on the field. His deep ball is not great and he's a fumble waiting to happen every time he's touched. 11 on the year! We saw him revert back to the skittish, panicked player in the pocket against Atlanta. They got a good hit on him early and he start playing sporadic. I believe that is who Carr is. A guy if you hit him early and often, he will deteriorate. Hence the insanely over compensated Oline

I like Carr, but I do not see him ever leading this team deep into the playoffs personally. His play in December has tailed off every year. And I do not understand his affliction with getting WRs involved more regularly in the offense. 

If a team would trade high draft picks for Carr, I'd be inclined to listen. He's played amongst the top 10 QBs this season, but I still find his game frustrating for stretches at a time and I can't see him getting the team over the hump.

Does that mean I'm all in on Mariota, no. He's got a lot to prove and come back from in his own right. But I do think Mariota fits more of what Jon Gruden wants in his QB as dual threat and given time could run the offense well at a cheaper price tag.

If I can trade Carr for a high draft pick or 2 that I can flip into defensive talent with the cap savings, I'd be inclined to take that. Not popular opinion, but that's where I stand.

Which this year has definitely proven to not be the case. While the payroll is still what it is and a 1st rounder was still invested in Kolton, that is not what we fielded this season.  Hudson and Jackson are the only "high" paid guys for this season.  I don't count Ritchie or Trent this year because they simply haven't played.  Good, Parker, and Young have played the majority of the year and they are not what you describe.  

I think we need to stop overanalyzing the QB position as a fanbase. The problems with this team have been defense, for a couple decades, and this year it's been the running game. 

Last year everyone was saying Jacobs was the man and carried Carr on his back.  That's something to overanalyze. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, true2form said:

Which this year has definitely proven to not be the case. While the payroll is still what it is and a 1st rounder was still invested in Kolton, that is not what we fielded this season.  Hudson and Jackson are the only "high" paid guys for this season.  I don't count Ritchie or Trent this year because they simply haven't played.  Good, Parker, and Young have played the majority of the year and they are not what you describe.  

I think we need to stop overanalyzing the QB position as a fanbase. The problems with this team have been defense, for a couple decades, and this year it's been the running game. 

Last year everyone was saying Jacobs was the man and carried Carr on his back.  That's something to overanalyze. 

I thought it was Carr had nobody to throw to last year beside Waller more than Jacobs

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

I thought it was Carr had nobody to throw to last year beside Waller more than Jacobs

This. All he needs is some wrs they said and a back up rb and carr will take us to the moon. So we drafted 2 wr and got a fa wr. Carr Just fell in love with the fa 🤷🏾‍♂️. Carr loves te’s and rb checkdowns. It’s just who he is “now”. Mm on the other hand keeps his eyes downfield. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This. All he needs is some wrs they said and a back up rb and carr will take us to the moon. So we drafted 2 wr and got a fa wr. Carr Just fell in love with the fa 🤷🏾‍♂️. Carr loves te’s and rb checkdowns. It’s just who he is “now”. Mm on the other hand keeps his eyes downfield. 

100%. 

19 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

People called them idiots for signing him to an absurd and totally untradeable contract, which they are idiots for doing.

That short of a deal for that much money is the thing idiots do. It doesn't lock him up long term, puts us in bad negotiating position if he plays and plays well, and will net us nothing on the trade market.

It puts the Raiders in a perfect spot to trade the QB who's making 7,000,000 next year. 

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

Mariota completed 4 passes to WRs last week.

Anyway, it doesn't matter as long as the defense gives up 36 pts/game.

Well Gruden is out there calling plays in 3 TE and FB sets giving no QB a chance 

But yes, the defense sucks. That's a constant in all these arguments

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

It puts the Raiders in a perfect spot to trade the QB who's making 7,000,000 next year. 

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

So how do you explain Nelson's 16.3 avg or Renfrow's 12.5 or Ruggs 18 avg?

Do you understand math and the law of averages at all? I'm genuinely curious as to both your logic and self confidence to ask that that kind of question. 

4 hours ago, true2form said:

The Oline is being paid 2nd most in the league, but the Raider can't get them on the field together. That's a problem.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Do you understand math and the law of averages at all? I'm genuinely curious as to both your logic and self confidence to ask that that kind of question. 

Yes I get it you're wrong and making things up.

113 of Carr's 303 passes went to one of the top 3 WRs for more than 12.5 yards avg but you insist that he doesn't like throwing the ball deep to the WRs.