Patriots 2021 Free Agency

JohnCena

I remember loving Percy Harvin as a prospect. I thought he would be a hell of a dual threat player for a decade.. He seemed like an automatic 900-1100 yards receiving and 300-500 yards rushing player to me. 

He didn't start out awful .. I don't think he ever hit 1,000 in a year but he still had moments of being pretty dynamic. Wasn't it something like migraines or some kind of head injury that destroyed his career? 

Just now, Starless said:

How do you figure? 

Who is going to throw them the ball? Whether you like Cam or not you have to admit that he isn't a good passer at this point. Not to mention he is a FA. No one knows anything about Stidham. So who will be on the other end of passes. I don't think any one will want to sign and possibly have the worst year of their career because the QB couldn't get the ball to them.

Just now, jofos said:

Who is going to throw them the ball? Whether you like Cam or not you have to admit that he isn't a good passer at this point. Not to mention he is a FA. No one knows anything about Stidham. So who will be on the other end of passes. I don't think any one will want to sign and possibly have the worst year of their career because the QB couldn't get the ball to them.

That's silly. They're not going to turn down a bigger contract from the Pats just for that reason. 

Just now, Starless said:

That's silly. They're not going to turn down a bigger contract from the Pats just for that reason. 

So then the Patriots end up over paying. Don't forget players use to take less to play for the Patriots because they felt it gave them the best chance to win a super bowl.

3 minutes ago, jofos said:

So then the Patriots end up over paying. Don't forget players use to take less to play for the Patriots because they felt it gave them the best chance to win a super bowl.

We thought the Gilmore deal was overpaying. 🤷‍♂️

The team will have to adapt to the new reality of no longer being the gold standard and pay guys their actual market value to come here. I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable expectation. 

Star and Jo

You both make great points.

The players will follow the money, but everything equal they will go where they have the best chance to win and what team will get them a ring. Some (losers) will look at team that makes them look good so they can max out on their next contract or pad their numbers.

I don't see any elite WR player signing with the Pats, based on what both of you mentioned.

However, the Pats have to improve the skill level at WR, starting now. The Pats can't wait at any position for a QB because that could take years. I hope not, but thats a fact of life in the NFL.

Everyone saying let's get under the radar guys... come on we need a receiver we been dodging paying a receiver forever, we need to go out and pay as much as we have to, for a big time receiver like Allen Robinson. With all this money if we don't go out and get the best available receiver ima lose my sh**

15 hours ago, JohnCena said:

Everyone saying let's get under the radar guys... come on we need a receiver we been dodging paying a receiver forever, we need to go out and pay as much as we have to, for a big time receiver like Allen Robinson. With all this money if we don't go out and get the best available receiver ima lose my sh**

IMO it has nothing to do with BB not paying big money for a WR.  BB looks at WR as Xmas ornaments, Bill would rather spend the money on the tree! Look over the 20 years. BB never paid anyone but Danny Amendola money at the WR.

He has never put any capital in that position. Branch wants money , Bye!  The problem is not how he look at the position its when he misses and picks a crap player such as Harry to be the number one guy.

Tell me would you be happy if your group of WR were; Metcalf/ Brown/ Debo (pick one),  Meyers, Bryd, Jules.(yes I know he's injured but he was on the roster at the start of the season.)  You don't have to waste money on a big ticket item who by the way usually don't live up to the hype. All you need to do is pick players THAT CAN PLAY. 

Edited by m haynes

In BB's defense I think he is willing to pay for a slot guy.. and with Edelman potentially being cut / traded I think we could easily see a higher profile slot guy brought in. 

Especially if they are planning on getting a young QB.. a slot receiver and TE are their best friends for development. I recall BB apparently offered 10 million a season for Adam Humphries a couple years ago but he honored his agreement of 9/yr with the Titans... they dodged a bullet on that one.. I believe reports were also that Cole Beasely was offered more than his contract with Buffalo too but he picked to go there because of Josh Allen believing Brady was going to leave (he made the right move and would have looked great with the Pats). 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

In BB's defense I think he is willing to pay for a slot guy.. and with Edelman potentially being cut / traded I think we could easily see a higher profile slot guy brought in. 

Especially if they are planning on getting a young QB.. a slot receiver and TE are their best friends for development. I recall BB apparently offered 10 million a season for Adam Humphries a couple years ago but he honored his agreement of 9/yr with the Titans... they dodged a bullet on that one.. I believe reports were also that Cole Beasely was offered more than his contract with Buffalo too but he picked to go there because of Josh Allen believing Brady was going to leave (he made the right move and would have looked great with the Pats). 

I agree with you here however I'm talking outrageous money. Can't think of any but Javis Landry and I'm to lazy to look them up.

That's true.. I looked up a few contract projections for this years free agents and I was amazed.. they are expecting some guys to get 20-23 million a season ( Robinson/Godwin).. that's nuts.. I can see BB spending 15 million but not QB money at 20 million+ for a receiver. 

I'm pretty sure BB has never spent over 10 million for a receiving threat .. and that was HOF level Gronk. The game has of course changed and everyone is more expensive.. but he's going to either start getting really good at drafting or get ready to pay over 15 to a top tier WR