Patriots 2021 Free Agency

JohnCena

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Pats are looking at OL, S, or Edge, DL  based on the talent in this draft.

Fingers crossed, except safeties.

I know receiving talent is basically nada right now, but it's so much more prudent dumping draft capital into the front seven. 

13 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Fingers crossed, except safeties.

I know receiving talent is basically nada right now, but it's so much more prudent dumping draft capital into the front seven. 

Check out the safeties talent its loaded in the 2nd RD. We need a Devin McCourty replacement. WE know BB loves DB in the 2nd!😉

Andre Cisco S Syracuse IMO going to be a star. Pair him with Dugger damn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv1kh_ssiKU

Edited by m haynes

Second round this draft is STACKED imo.. you're going to see so many day 1 starters come out of the 2nd and 3rd round I'm thinking. 

Which of course doesn't bode well for everyone wanting BB to trade up or not trade down haha. This seems like the exact kind of draft he would want 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. 

WR / S / OL .. you're going to see some really solid players coming out this season. Ridder in the second could be a steal for someone if he declares too

11 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Second round this draft is STACKED imo.. you're going to see so many day 1 starters come out of the 2nd and 3rd round I'm thinking. 

Which of course doesn't bode well for everyone wanting BB to trade up or not trade down haha. This seems like the exact kind of draft he would want 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. 

WR / S / OL .. you're going to see some really solid players coming out this season. Ridder in the second could be a steal for someone if he declares too

Ok Crimm,  you  are going to make me research your boy,  Ridder. 😁 Be back after I go to my video room!

20 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I don't there is something about Ridder that makes me like him but sometimes his throwing motion is not good. But he is a guy that is easy to root for.

6 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Ok Crimm,  you  are going to make me research your boy,  Ridder. 😁 Be back after I go to my video room!

I think we all know Minshew is my boy haha .. Ridder is guy who I think has all the tools but hasn't figured it out yet. He would be smart to not declare this season because he would be a 1st round pick with some improvement next year.... BUT if he comes out this season would end up as a 2nd rounder.. probably right around the Pats pick and would be a good guy to sit for a year or two to get ready. He is a gamble, you are assuming he's going to get better but for a 2nd rounder I think he is worth the gamble.

35 minutes ago, jofos said:

I don't there is something about Ridder that makes me like him but sometimes his throwing motion is not good. But he is a guy that is easy to root for.

I agree he certainly isn't perfect, but from what I can tell everything looks fixable with the right coaching. 

I also try to take into account that he is younger than Jones / Trask .. so if you draft and stash him this season.. the coaching he will get in the NFL will likely be much better than if he stays another year and gets drafted in the 1st. He is one of the project guys that I think will be worth a long look after the top 5 guys are taken in the 1st round. 

He has also been a 3 year starter so he has a lot of tape.. I dont remember where but I think I read somewhere that BB isn't a fan of guys who only had a year of college playing time. I think it was something like a 20 game sample size being minimum to really judge a guy? Something like that.. but it could put players like Trey Lance instantly off their board due to lack of tape

Edited by Crimmage

Ok  I checked out Ridder. 

IMO he should stay in school. Very raw, not close to NFL ready. I'm afraid, he will end up on a practice squad or at best be a 3rd string QB. He will than wash out. He needs to play and work on his craft. IMO QB gets better by playing and not sitting on the bench for 2 years. His game reminds me of Will Grier.  I'm not talking physical skills.

Some of my observations reading and watching vids.

• Physically perfect for today's QB pass and run.
  • Raw player could be on the bench,  2+ years to develop.  decision making questionable, poor accuracy.
  •  "high upside" stated in articles. I hate this statement. What it means to me,  Hail Mary pick based on three things arm, size and  run.
  • Holds the ball to long and forces throws.  Instead of throwing it away, he's prone to interceptions and fumbles.
  • He is not ready to compete as a  NFL quarterback. but has the tools that could be developed.
  • Need to learn mechanics,, game management. Can he understand and play against complex defenses. .

• Like 1

He 100% isn't ready to start out of the gate, may not even be ready after a year to make an impact right away.. his main thing from what I saw is he struggles when teams get pressure on him.. so basically the game needs to slow down a bit for him. 

The issue is his strength of schedule isn't amazing .. they only play around 2 high end teams per season. Getting in the practice is sure nice but I think an NFL team could use that year to coach him up extensively and may be better off. He's one of those guys who has all the tools.. but hasn't put it together yet.. 100% a potential type of guy which is why he def won't be a 1st round pick if he declares this season.

Much like we all thought it made way too much sense for the Patriots to not draft Hunter Renfrow.. it seems to make too much sense for them not to sign Curtis Samuel as a free agent this off season. So much so that I would say they would be in good shape just signing him if they draft a WR high in the draft. 

Curtis Samuel: 

• Getting something like 60% of snaps in Carolina so it makes sense that he would want to leave to get more playing time.. and they have 2 guys they like ahead of him
  • unofficial 40 time at the combine was 4.31 which is exactly what the Patriots need right now
  • Only 24 years old, perfect guy to build around
  • Never hit 1,000 yards so hopefully that would help keep his cost down ( but has a gotten better every year) 
  • He has been used as a WR and RB, Pats love versatility.. last season he had 200 yards on the ground and 851 receiving yards .. especially as a run focused team you want a guy like this to gameplan with 
  • He is 5'11" .. which seems like he could get overlooked.. and the Pats have always been willing to get smaller guys 

I unfortunately never have an opportunity to watch Carolina but this guy looks like in the Patriots system he would be a 100 catch, 1000 yard receiver mixed in with a couple hundred yards on the ground. Especially because I don't think Edelman will be back next season ( likely cut or traded to somewhere he wants to go for a 4th/5th) this guy would be perfect to play in the slot as well as outside in a tyreek hill role for this team. It would also allow for Meyers life to be much easier because defenses won't be crowding the line as much to give him more space.. same with Harry if he is still around. 

BB is never going to pay #1 money in the open market .. but I could see him going after a guy like this day 1 and instantly injecting speed and youth into our receiving corp. Pair him up with a fast receiver out of the draft and you've instantly revitalized your WR's into a young group that's up and coming. Drafting Waddle / Moore / Toney would have your WR's be really short outside of Harry but the amount of speed would be refreshing.. especially because it would open up the field for Meyers / Harry / Asiasi / Keene to get more separation. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:16 PM, m haynes said:

Check out the safeties talent its loaded in the 2nd RD. We need a Devin McCourty replacement. WE know BB loves DB in the 2nd!😉

Andre Cisco S Syracuse IMO going to be a star. Pair him with Dugger damn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv1kh_ssiKU

Loll I have more confidence in Belichik's late round / undrafted players turning out well than the early rounders. I'd honestly just reload that front 7 in the early rounds. We have no speed or size in the front of that defense at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Much like we all thought it made way too much sense for the Patriots to not draft Hunter Renfrow.. it seems to make too much sense for them not to sign Curtis Samuel as a free agent this off season. So much so that I would say they would be in good shape just signing him if they draft a WR high in the draft. 

Curtis Samuel: 

• Getting something like 60% of snaps in Carolina so it makes sense that he would want to leave to get more playing time.. and they have 2 guys they like ahead of him
  • unofficial 40 time at the combine was 4.31 which is exactly what the Patriots need right now
  • Only 24 years old, perfect guy to build around
  • Never hit 1,000 yards so hopefully that would help keep his cost down ( but has a gotten better every year) 
  • He has been used as a WR and RB, Pats love versatility.. last season he had 200 yards on the ground and 851 receiving yards .. especially as a run focused team you want a guy like this to gameplan with 
  • He is 5'11" .. which seems like he could get overlooked.. and the Pats have always been willing to get smaller guys 

I unfortunately never have an opportunity to watch Carolina but this guy looks like in the Patriots system he would be a 100 catch, 1000 yard receiver mixed in with a couple hundred yards on the ground. Especially because I don't think Edelman will be back next season ( likely cut or traded to somewhere he wants to go for a 4th/5th) this guy would be perfect to play in the slot as well as outside in a tyreek hill role for this team. It would also allow for Meyers life to be much easier because defenses won't be crowding the line as much to give him more space.. same with Harry if he is still around. 

BB is never going to pay #1 money in the open market .. but I could see him going after a guy like this day 1 and instantly injecting speed and youth into our receiving corp. Pair him up with a fast receiver out of the draft and you've instantly revitalized your WR's into a young group that's up and coming. Drafting Waddle / Moore / Toney would have your WR's be really short outside of Harry but the amount of speed would be refreshing.. especially because it would open up the field for Meyers / Harry / Asiasi / Keene to get more separation. 

Yeah I gotta wake up from this dream thinking Bill gonna dish out big time money for anyone in FA, but I like Curtis Samuel didn't realize he was a free agent this year that would be an amazing signing. Praying the Panthers don't resign him because I'd much rather have him than Robby Anderson if I were the Panthers lets hope and pray they let him walk. Only thing is we already have Edelman and Kobi as our slot receivers and I believe Curtis has primarily played as the Panthers slot receiver with Robby Anderson and DJ Moore as there outside guys, if we signed him he'd have to be that outside guys for us, but I don't think that would be much of a problem for him as he played everywhere from inside to outside at Ohio State. 

Edited by JohnCena
Typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnCena said:

Loll I have more confidence in Belichik's late round / undrafted players turning out well than the early rounders. I'd honestly just reload that front 7 in the early rounds. We have no speed or size in the front of that defense at the moment. 

I think BB would agree there with regards to the front 7. I'm sure he hates seeing teams gash them with the run and him not being able to do anything about it. 

Unfortunately I don't think this is the draft for that given the small amounts I've been reading. I think @m haynes could speak more on it because I've mainly focused on how we can improve the offense, but seems like DL is especially mediocre this season.. and LB is very top heavy.  Parsons is a top 10 pick so you aren't getting him.. then the next crop of guys aren't going to get picked till maybe 25-35 so you'd have to trade down to get them. Some good FA LB around.. but also I'm sure Hightower will come back for his last season and he can help stabilize things. With that said you'll need to take some risks on 1-2 potential guys who have talent to hope they can contribute year 2 when Hightower is gone. 

Patriots are in a really good position cap wise.. I'm hopeful that DL will be resolved through a mixture of FA/Cap Casualties along with misc 6th round pick they grab to develop. I think we could see Beau Allen finally next season too.. which fingers crossed he would help stop the run as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnCena said:

Yeah I gotta wake up from this dream thinking Bill gonna dish out big time money for anyone in FA, but I like Curtis Samuel didn't realize he was a free agent this year that would be an amazing signing. Praying the Panthers don't resign him because I'd much rather have him than Robby Anderson if I were the Jets lets hope and pray they let him walk. Only thing is we already have Edelman and Kobi as our slot receivers and I believe Curtis has primarily played as the Panthers slot receiver with Robby Anderson and DJ Moore as there outside guys, if we signed him he'd have to be that outside guys for us, but I don't think that would be much of a problem for him as he played everywhere from inside to outside at Ohio State. 

Yup, big money isn't going to happen.. Samuel could get something like 4 or 5 years.. 12million a year? something like that I'd imagine. I think Edelman is gone tbo.. you can save 4+ million in cap I think it was with him leaving. He has at most 1 year left.. so it's likely that they cut him or trade him for a low round pick. Send him to the 49ers for a 4th and let them have a super bowl run with him.. he isn't going to be much help anymore on this team and you can't afford him taking snaps away from young guys now. 

The nice thing about Samuel is he can split time between the slot, outside and in the backfield. Similar to how the Pats used Hernandez years ago they can have a lot of deceptive plays of him starting in the backfield and going out for a pass.. further helping alleviate some of the pain of losing James White. Meyers is capable of playing on the outside as well for them to work on mismatches, his problem is that he is slow.. but having Samuel that helps give him more space given his speed and especially against zone coverage Meyers is smart enough that he doesn't need to be fast to find holes in the defense and make plays. 

Samuel could add SOOO much to this offense, not even including what adding another speed guy in the draft would do for everyone. This one is a no brainer imo.. you call this guy day 1 of free agency before anyone else gets to him and close the deal. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnCena said:

That's the problem with this draft. There aren't many players on defense that fit with the Patriots needs. Especially in the early rounds where they are picking. There are a ton of OLB and edge guys however they don fit BB system. EX Jaelan Phillips and Jayson Oweh which are to small. OLB we have several already. IMO if you go defense early lets say 15 it would be a CB. 

I'm not saying you pick a CB but that's where the talent is at 15 at a position we need.

The draft IMO stink on the defensive side where we need players such as DT and ILBs. I would go defense in FA and get the fatties lower in the draft. Note,  I love Nick Bolton 6' 235  however I don't see BB taking him, the system!

• Like 1