Antonio Gibson Injury

RSkinGM

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m really bummed that they’re just going to roll with Barber and McKissic again. I like McKissic a lot but Barber is just a slug out there. He’s so slow and just slams into the line without seemingly knowing where to go. It’s maddening. 

What do you expect them to do? That's been Gibby's back ups all season. They're not going to sign a major upgrade in December over them and at worst Barber is a good short yardage back, a good blocker who provides something in the pass game and a good special teams guy. If all Barber does is continue to get 3rd & 1's and a short yardage TD should the opportunity present itself like he did twice vs the Eagles and once vs the Steelers, then he's served his purpose for this offense IMO. I fully expect that McKissic will get at least 70% of the reps, I think he did last game. Barber gets early down carries, short yardage carries and carries if we are trying to run the clock out at the end of the game like vs the Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers and 49ers.

I really think you're overreacting to this Barber thing. It's past time to be thinking there's truly a better option than him for what they use him for. I guess it's possible Lamar Miller is good to go and gives us something this week or in the last two games but I wouldn't exactly count on that.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:41 PM, turtle28 said:

What do you expect them to do? That's been Gibby's back ups all season. They're not going to sign a major upgrade in December over them and at worst Barber is a good short yardage back, a good blocker who provides something in the pass game and a good special teams guy. If all Barber does is continue to get 3rd & 1's and a short yardage TD should the opportunity present itself like he did twice vs the Eagles and once vs the Steelers, then he's served his purpose for this offense IMO. I fully expect that McKissic will get at least 70% of the reps, I think he did last game. Barber gets early down carries, short yardage carries and carries if we are trying to run the clock out at the end of the game like vs the Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers and 49ers.

I really think you're overreacting to this Barber thing. It's past time to be thinking there's truly a better option than him for what they use him for. I guess it's possible Lamar Miller is good to go and gives us something this week or in the last two games but I wouldn't exactly count on that.

Its short-sighted roster construction.  Yes, its the way things are, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't question or criticize it. 

37 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Its short-sighted roster construction.  Yes, its the way things are, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't question or criticize it. 

I don't get the hate for staff for this isn't there fault Guice turned into a nutcase so they lost him before the season,the Gibson beat out AP for starting Job and AP doesn't do special teams and didn't fit the O we running so they gave him the chance to go play elsewhere.They also thaught Love looked good enough in camp that he'd play this year but knee failed him at last minute twice.To be honest I'm ok with Barber for him basically being the 6th HB in preseason to our 1B at moment due to injs and other things out of control.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be in this spot next year clearly some big Hbs going to be there day 3 HBs with skill and size to be a great compliment to Gibson long term if we go that way

Edited by ovfd55
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I don't get the hate for staff for this isn't there fault Guice turned into a nutcase so they lost him before the season,the Gibson beat out AP for starting Job and AP doesn't do special teams and din't fit the O we running so they gave him the chance to go play elsewhere.They also thaugh Love looked good enough in camp that he'd play this year but knee failed him at last minute twice.To be honest I'm ok with Barber for him basically being the 6th HB in preseason to our 1B at moment due to injs and other things out of control.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be in this spot next year clearly some big Hbs going to be there day 3 HBs with skill and size to be a great compliment to Gibson long term if we go that way

Your speaking my language. When Gibson got hurt I literally looked at my buddy and said F Guice!!! Like seriously LSU has just given this team some trash!!! And I liked all of them.  Not enough to take Landry over AP I didn’t care that we had Portis. A smart team would have drafted AP. Anyways we should be able to find more backs we’ve just had serious bad luck at this position. Gibson will be fine but we should always have another talent to spell him. We can very much upgrade. In this class

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If we hadn’t signed Barber, we would’ve kept Adrian Peterson and he’s 35, I wonder if Peterson was still here and getting 10-15 carries a game, splitting time with Gibby the first 11 games of the year and being the workhorse vs the Steelers and 49ers if you’d say keeping him was “poor roster construction?”

Come on guys. Guys like Barber are glue guys, good back of the roster guy bc he’s a good special team guy and guys like him do everything a coach asks for at their position and he’s also a really good short yardage runner.

26 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I don't get the hate for staff for this isn't there fault Guice turned into a nutcase so they lost him before the season,the Gibson beat out AP for starting Job and AP doesn't do special teams and didn't fit the O we running so they gave him the chance to go play elsewhere.They also thaught Love looked good enough in camp that he'd play this year but knee failed him at last minute twice.To be honest I'm ok with Barber for him basically being the 6th HB in preseason to our 1B at moment due to injs and other things out of control.

The Office Reaction GIF

32 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Your speaking my language. When Gibson got hurt I literally looked at my buddy and said F Guice!!! Like seriously LSU has just given this team some trash!!! And I liked all of them.  Not enough to take Landry over AP I didn’t care that we had Portis. A smart team would have drafted AP. Anyways we should be able to find more backs we’ve just had serious bad luck at this position. Gibson will be fine but we should always have another talent to spell him. We can very much upgrade. In this class

I’m sure we’ll draft a RB at some point next draft and that guy will compete with Barber and hopefully a finally healthy Love for the 3rd and maybe 4th RB spot.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

If we hadn’t signed Barber, we would’ve kept Adrian Peterson and he’s 35, I wonder if Peterson was still here and getting 10-15 carries a game, splitting time with Gibby the first 11 games of the year and being the workhorse vs the Steelers and 49ers if you’d say keeping him was “poor roster construction?”

Come on guys. Guys like Barber are glue guys, good back of the roster guy bc he’s a good special team guy and guys like him do everything a coach asks for at their position and he’s also a really good short yardage runner.

Yes, they have their purpose but you should be able to draft that guy and replace him every 3-4 years.  And who knows, maybe that seventh round pick turns into a Chris Carson or Jimmy Moreland, or a sixth rounder turns into Kyshown Jarrett.  But signing veterans to fill those spots and spending millions on them, when we already know who they are, is a pretty dumb decision.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes, they have their purpose but you should be able to draft that guy and replace him every 3-4 years.  And who knows, maybe that seventh round pick turns into a Chris Carson or Jimmy Moreland, or a sixth rounder turns into Kyshown Jarrett.  But signing veterans to fill those spots and spending millions on them, when we already know who they are, is a pretty dumb decision.  

They did, Guice went and got himself arrested plus couldn't stay healthy and Love can't get healthy. I mean come on man, how you going to blame Rivera for those events outside his control? And as @ovfd55 said this staff inherited both of those young RBs and neither have worked out so far. Barber shouldn't have been a better option than them but, when your most pure talented RB ends up in jail and another one with imense potential can't get healthy how you gonna blame Rivera? Seems to me you're going out of your way to blame Rivera & Lavar for problems he inherited from Allen and I guess you could say Kyle too.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

They did, Guide went and got himself arrested plus couldn't stay healthyand Love can't get health. I mean come on man, how you going to blame them for those events outside their control? And as @ovfd55 said this staff inherited both of those young RBs and neither have worked out so far. Barber shouldn't have been a better option than them but, when your most pure talented RB ends up in jail and another one with imense potential can't get healthy how you gonna blame Rivera? Seems to me you're going out of your way to blame Rivera & Lavar for problems he inherited from Allen and I guess you could say Kyle too.

All I am saying is that you shouldn't go out and spend $1.5 million over two years for a 3rd or 4th string running back.  They signed Barber well before anything happened with Guice, back in March.  What I am saying is that a player on that spot on the depth chart should be a low draft pick or an UDFA.  No need to spend that kind of money on a guy that far down the depth chart, especially if we are using the rationale "good on special teams."  Draft some guy to do that, at worst, you've filled the spot for less money.  At best?  Maybe you've got a good starter like Chris Carson or Jimmy Moreland with the lottery choice.  

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

All I am saying is that you shouldn't go out and spend $1.5 million over two years for a 3rd or 4th string running back.  They signed Barber well before anything happened with Guice, back in March.  What I am saying is that a player on that spot on the depth chart should be a low draft pick or an UDFA.  No need to spend that kind of money on a guy that far down the depth chart, especially if we are using the rationale "good on special teams."  Draft some guy to do that, at worst, you've filled the spot for less money.  At best?  Maybe you've got a good starter like Chris Carson or Jimmy Moreland with the lottery choice.  

Dude? $1.5 mil over 2 years is barely above vet min, it's peanuts. I just don't understand the complaints, never will like when ppl used to complain about Ryan Grant bc all he was was a steady Eddie and a special teams guy except in 2017 when he was our most consistent WR most weeks. I think if you'll look at Barber's contract it wouldn't have been much of a cap it if Guice hadn't got arrested, made the team and Barber was cut or if Love could actually get healthy. 

And there's more of a guarantee that Barber becomes what he's been for this team than an udfa, in no way was Barber a bad signing. He's been a great short yardage back, has 3 TDs and is a core special teams player. Coulda shoulda's don't matter. Whats happened is what matters and there's nothing wrong with what Barber's given this team, in fact his 3 TDs and short yardage 1st down runs have exeeded my expectations of him.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1