Antonio Gibson Injury

RSkinGM

On 12/9/2020 at 12:38 PM, e16bball said:

If we were going to add a player, would definitely prefer to poach someone from a practice squad rather than pick up a street FA, for a couple reasons. You have to figure the PS guy is at least in NFL shape, and perhaps it’s easier to get him through the COVID protocols since he’s already been subject to them on his previous team. 

It’s pretty slim pickins as far as familiar names on the PS lists around the league. Lamar Miller (formerly of MIA and HOU) is on the CHI practice squad, Paul Perkins (formerly of NYG) is on the IND practice squad, Alex Collins (formerly of BAL) is on the SEA practice squad, Wendell Smallwood (formerly of PHI and here) is on the PIT practice squad. Then you’ve got some guys who were somewhat interesting recent prospects, like John Kelly, DJ Foster, Darius Anderson, Elijah Holyfield, Mike Weber. In terms of personal connections, there’s also Craig Reynolds, who was here for a while, and street FA Jordan Scarlett, who got a couple carries for Carolina last year. 

I think they have to add someone. They can’t just go with Barber and McKissic, the risk of injury to at least one is too great — and the detriment to the offense would be significant. Neither one of them can really do the job of the other, which is what makes Gibson so great, because he can handle both roles. 

Late to the thread here, but can a team sign another team's PS player away to the active roster and get them through the COVID protocols inside a week? Honestly asking.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, Woz said:

Late to the thread here, but can a team sign another team's PS player away to the active roster and get them through the COVID protocols inside a week? Honestly asking.

I don't know the definite answer but I assume if a player has been practicing on another teams PS roster that they don't have COVID. So, to me it would just be a matter of that player testing negative before they can join you're practice and I don't see any reason why that can't happen within a week. It's not like you're signing a street free agent who has more to go through before they are cleared.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don't know the definite answer but I assume if a player has been practicing on another teams PS roster that they don't have COVID. So, to me it would just be a matter of that player testing negative before they can join you're practice and I don't see any reason why that can't happen within a week. It's not like you're signing a street free agent who has more to go through before they are cleared.

We brought up Javon Leake last week from our P S . Assuming we do it again unless A G has a miracle recovery .

On 12/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, Woz said:

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We brought up Javon Leake last week from our P S . Assuming we do it again unless A G has a miracle recovery .

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, I know I was just trying to give @Woz the best answer I could for what he asked E. It was just a guess.

Looks like they’re signing Lamar Miller from the Bears practice squad, so I think we’re going to find out. NBC Sports, at least, thinks he’ll have to go through all the protocols and won’t be available.  

Had mentioned him as a possibility earlier. I saw him get a couple touches for them in early November...he looked okay. Hard to tell much from just a couple plays, but he didn’t seem to have that springy burst he once had. Suspect he’ll be in the same position as Leake, only getting carries if we’re desperate.

Probably doesn’t bode well for Leake’s readiness. He always should have stayed at UMD anyway.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Looks like they’re signing Lamar Miller from the Bears practice squad, so I think we’re going to find out. NBC Sports, at least, thinks he’ll have to go through all the protocols and won’t be available.  

Had mentioned him as a possibility earlier. I saw him get a couple touches for them in early November...he looked okay. Hard to tell much from just a couple plays, but he didn’t seem to have that springy burst he once had. Suspect he’ll be in the same position as Leake, only getting carries if we’re desperate.

Probably doesn’t bode well for Leake’s readiness. He always should have stayed at UMD anyway.

adrian grenier drinking GIF

I'll drink to that E, ever single word!

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That is bad news.  To me that is a long term move and if anything that tells me that Gibson's toe is not healing quick.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, offbyone said:

That is bad news.  To me that is a long term move and if anything that tells me that Gibson's toe is not healing quick.

I think it has more to due with the fact Ron would seriously prefer to have this guy for the playoffs if we were to make it as I think he already knows what he has in Gibson. Maybe he is hoping that patience pays off this week as we have a really tough game and he is hoping we have him back for the 2 more winnable games after this one. It’s a turf toe and Gibson is a big guy. I think he will start to feel more comfortable come next week I’d expect him to sit again this week. If we don’t get in then we don’t get in but I wouldn’t risk a further strain when Ron is generally a patient first type anyways. I would love to see Gibson out there healthy and cutting and if he can I believe he will. But if there’s any strain on the foot then let it heal. These injuries are only tricky because you have a guy who’s used to pushing through and this is one of those few things rest really does help in recovery for this injury

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I think it has more to due with the fact Ron would seriously prefer to have this guy for the playoffs if we were to make it as I think he already knows what he has in Gibson. Maybe he is hoping that patience pays off this week as we have a really tough game and he is hoping we have him back for the 2 more winnable games after this one. It’s a turf toe and Gibson is a big guy. I think he will start to feel more comfortable come next week I’d expect him to sit again this week. If we don’t get in then we don’t get in but I wouldn’t risk a further strain when Ron is generally a patient first type anyways. I would love to see Gibson out there healthy and cutting and if he can I believe he will. But if there’s any strain on the foot then let it heal. These injuries are only tricky because you have a guy who’s used to pushing through and this is one of those few things rest really does help in recovery for this injury

I don't think Gibson's toe won't be healthy again this season. I do agree with your thought though that giving him this week off against Seattle which is a really tough game where the last two are more winnable vs Carolina and Phila makes sense. Hopefully he feels better next week so he can go against Carolina, I don't expect him to be near 100% though for that game or any other game he plays this year and should we make the playoffs. I don't think Gibson's toe will be right until the offseason.

• Like 1

• Antonio Gibson (toe) is considered doubtful for Week 15 against the Seahawks. 

Gibson participated in some running back drills at Friday's practice but won't be able to rejoin the team for a critical Week 15 game against Seattle. With Gibson sidelined last week, J.D. McKissic handled 13 touches and Peyton Barber saw 14 touches against the 49ers. McKissic played 65 percent of the team's offensive snaps while Barber played 48 percent. Alex Smith (calf) being out for Week 15 game crushes McKissic's PPR upside. Both Washington running backs will be RB3/4 options. 

Dec 18, 2020, 1:54 PM ET

•  

3 hours ago, 4209 said:
  • Antonio Gibson (toe) is considered doubtful for Week 15 against the Seahawks. 

Gibson participated in some running back drills at Friday's practice but won't be able to rejoin the team for a critical Week 15 game against Seattle. With Gibson sidelined last week, J.D. McKissic handled 13 touches and Peyton Barber saw 14 touches against the 49ers. McKissic played 65 percent of the team's offensive snaps while Barber played 48 percent. Alex Smith (calf) being out for Week 15 game crushes McKissic's PPR upside. Both Washington running backs will be RB3/4 options. 

Dec 18, 2020, 1:54 PM ET

•  

I appreciate fantasy people thinking that Alex being out is somehow going to change how this operates, but I don't think it will greatly. I still expect McKissic to get a lot of targets for PPR leagues because this offense is built that way. I really think we are going to see this offense look how it looked when Haskins was our QB vs the Ravens and if I remember correctly, Haskins spread it around well that day and McKissic had 7 receptions, also McLaurin had 10 and went over 100 yards. If Terry's ankle allows, it wouldn't shock me to see similar numbers from both guys.  Where I want Haskins to improve is hitting Thomas more and our #2 WR and slot WR more. I think that's the part of the game he has to progress in, he has to get through his progressions faster than he was early in the season. If you're top read is covered, move on quick to your second read or your check down, don't take unneccessary bad sacks and avoid making critical mistakes. Throwing the ball away if nothing is open should not be seen as a negative play, the negative play would be taking the 10 to 20 yard loss on a sack or throwing an interception. We lost the Browns game for example because of Haskins two bad interceptions and because we couldn't run the ball or stop the run. Flipping the script on those 3 things are the key to victory or at least being in the game in the 4th quarter IMO.

• Like 1