Obscure rules

onejayhawk

2 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

When a PAT is blocked, recovered by the defense, regressed into the end zone, and then tackle by the kicking team. Happened to Oregon or Kansas St I think several years ago

Dammit, i was exicted that there was a way a team could end up with 1 point.

2 hours ago, riceman80 said:

When a PAT is blocked, recovered by the defense, regressed into the end zone, and then tackle by the kicking team. Happened to Oregon or Kansas St I think several years ago

Correct. In a PAT situation, touches are worth two points and all other scores are worth one.

Here is a video of a kicker kicking the ball twice on the same play. It was blocked and he kicked it off the bounce. Still counts.

63ac58dd2c971cf2257c78fa75399ded

8 hours ago, MathMan said:

Dammit, i was exicted that there was a way a team could end up with 1 point.

In college this is theoretically possible if on a point after attempt, the defense recovers, returns it nearly to the endzone for two points, and then fumbles with the kicking team recovering the ball, which he advances but ultimately goes back into the endzone and tackled for a safety. This would make the defending team score one point, which in theory could lead to a team having only 1 point. Alternately, a member of the kicking team could do this on purpose by simply taking the ball and running it to the other side of the field.

This has never happened...

Honestly if I'm coaching a college game against one of those low-division teams and I'm already blowing them out 80-0 or something, I would tell my guys to give them a point for the lols.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Generally a three yard safety. Blocked kick, recovery near the goal line, then downed in the end zone. It has happened more than once.

J

You misunderstand... I'm talking about the non-kicking team scoring a safety. This can result in a team having exactly one point, and it has never happened. The rules in college allow for this; the NFL rules explicitly state only the kicking team may score a 1-point safety.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You misunderstand... I'm talking about the non-kicking team scoring a safety. This can result in a team having exactly one point, and it has never happened. The rules in college allow for this; the NFL rules explicitly state only the kicking team may score a 1-point safety.

Wait a minute, is it a one point safety in both scenarios? 

Archived