NBA GDT | '20-'21 | KD returns to GS tonight!

11sanchez11

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That’s all that matters ultimately and yeah your bench was kinda weak before you brought in Clarkson. It’s in better shape now for sure.

I'm excited to see how Miye Oni develops as the year goes on, he played well in the G-League and we're reportedly really high on him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Nah it’s hate and it’s rampant through the NBA fan base at large. He definitely has a cocky side he isn’t reserved like Lonzo, but most of the hate comes from his dad. Let the kid grow into whatever he becomes. Lonzo may end up getting the max next year after people were calling him a bust early on in his Lakers career. Ingram was thought of as a disappointment cause of the KD comparisons early on in his Lakers career too. People aren’t patient. Now, Ingram is living up to all that potential. LaMelo was always gonna need to add strength, improve his shot and defense. He had no structure from youth basketball till the NBL where he didn’t even play that long. Let the kid add some muscle and get some coaching on his defense and shot. Let’s not act like Kobe was the amazing player we remember him as back when he was a rookie in 96. Not even close. He was a skinny 18 year old that came off the bench and needed to take to coaching and improve his game. You do remember him as a rookie against your Jazz in the playoffs? lol....

LaMelo literally had no Summer League and basically a super short training camp and hardly any preseason games. Like what are we doing here? Missing all that was more important to him and some other lottery picks like say Killian Hayes than it is for guys like Obi Toppin.

Melo’s handles are nice and he is a savant as a passer. Maybe his shot never works out and he never takes to coaching and just jacks up bad shots and he ends up being a bust. But, a lot of people are piling on the kid incessantly bc he’s been in the public spotlight since he was like 13 years old and his dad is a polarizing figure that annoys a lot of people with his antics. I just don’t think it’s fair to the kid.

Are you really comparing LaMelo Ball to Kobe Bryant? lol. Kobe had special physical tools, so does Brandon Ingram. Ball's tall and long but he's a subpar athlete from an NBA stand point. 

And how can you say he didn't have any structure from youth basketball to the NBL? You do realize that he played his senior season at one of the top prep programs in the country at Spire Academy, right? And he wasn't even the best player on his own team and finished ranked as the consensus #23 prospect in one of the weakest recruiting classes in the modern era. 

He'll always have a target on his back because ESPN and his dad have pimped him to be this special, franchise level talent when he's not. He's not athletic enough to consistently beat guys off the bounce or finish around the rim, his jumper is broken (as he has struggled to shoot at every level), he has a questionable basketball IQ (as evident by his enormous amount of TO at every level), and he plays matador defense. He can pass, I'll give him that, but other than that there's nothing special about his game and guards that can't score/shoot efficiently or play defense usually don't pan out too well in the NBA. 

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's going to be an All-NBA level player sooner rather than later. You guys just need to tank this year for Cade Cunningham and you might have a potential contender. How has JJJ looked? 

JJJ tore his meniscus early in the bubble so haven't seen him since.

I don't think they'll tank, they just won't be good. Most teams in the West passed them over these last couple months. Memphis outperformed their point differential last season. Some regression to the mean, a worse wing rotation, and JJJ's injury will have them with mid-lottery odds IMO.

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

JJJ tore his meniscus early in the bubble so haven't seen him since.

I don't think they'll tank, they just won't be good. Most teams in the West passed them over these last couple months. Memphis outperformed their point differential last season. Some regression to the mean, a worse wing rotation, and JJJ's injury will have them with mid-lottery odds IMO.

Cam Reddish vs Huerter watch this season. Hawks looked good yesterday

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm excited to see how Miye Oni develops as the year goes on, he played well in the G-League and we're reportedly really high on him. 

It’s always fun to have a young guy with a lot of potential ready to contribute. That’s why I’ve been so annoying with THT lol. I don’t know Miye though. I’ll have to check out some stuff out on YouTube.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The saddest part for me is how bad ESPN ruined the Draft Express guys. They used to be awesome and now push whatever clickbait narrative ESPN asks them too. 

I loved DraftExpress. I also miss DraftBreakdown which was such a good resource for being able to scout NFL players. 

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah he’s intriguing from the looks of it. Seems like a solid three point shooter and would add some more athleticism to your bench unit. How many mins you think he could average this year if he continues to impress the coaches? 

Hard to say because the top 9 in our rotation is basically locked in with Conley/Mitchell/O'Neale/Bogdanovic/Gobert starting and Ingles/Clarkson/Favors/Niang off the bench. He's competing for minutes with Shaq Harrison and Elijah Hughes (our 2nd round pick) so I'm not sure he'll ever see consistent minutes this season. 

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Are you really comparing LaMelo Ball to Kobe Bryant? lol. Kobe had special physical tools, so does Brandon Ingram. Ball's tall and long but he's a subpar athlete from an NBA stand point. 

And how can you say he didn't have any structure from youth basketball to the NBL? You do realize that he played his senior season at one of the top prep programs in the country at Spire Academy, right? And he wasn't even the best player on his own team and finished ranked as the consensus #23 prospect in one of the weakest recruiting classes in the modern era. 

He'll always have a target on his back because ESPN and his dad have pimped him to be this special, franchise level talent when he's not. He's not athletic enough to consistently beat guys off the bounce or finish around the rim, his jumper is broken (as he has struggled to shoot at every level), he has a questionable basketball IQ (as evident by his enormous amount of TO at every level), and he plays matador defense. He can pass, I'll give him that, but other than that there's nothing special about his game and guards that can't score/shoot efficiently or play defense usually don't pan out too well in the NBA. 

Alright just from the first sentence/question I can see you aren’t grasping anything I tried to convey.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I’m giving him time like all players to develop. His potential is way higher than you’re making it out to be.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Hard to say because the top 9 in our rotation is basically locked in with Conley/Mitchell/O'Neale/Bogdanovic/Gobert starting and Ingles/Clarkson/Favors/Niang off the bench. He's competing for minutes with Shaq Harrison and Elijah Hughes (our 2nd round pick) so I'm not sure he'll ever see consistent minutes this season. 

True. Lakers were already 10 deep for our rotation before THT balled out and showed his high potential if given playing time. Hopefully they find minutes for him every now and then.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Alright just from the first sentence/question I can see you aren’t grasping anything I tried to convey.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I’m giving him time like all players to develop. His potential is way higher than you’re making it out to be.

Just because some young players struggled early and then developed into good/great players doesn't mean that'll be the case for other guys. 

He can't shoot at all, he doesn't play defense, and he's not athletic enough to beat guys off the bounce consistently in the league. He is what he is and that's MCW with some hype around him.