Indians to drop nickname

40Year Pack Fan

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Which group is canceling everything? Which is mocking them?

That's all that's needed to be said. 

Carry on.....

South Park absolutely nailed the PC Babies group lol

As far as I'm aware no laws or political organizations are responsible for re-naming of any sports teams, but rather the organizations adapting to consumer trends/advertisers and recognizing that the public has outgrown dated and racist team names as people have gotten more educated and less hateful over time. So essentially its the free market dictating changes!  Capitalism has saved the day. 

But to me this isn't about who's sensitive and who's not. Its about right/wrong. All Pro-Indians and Pro-Redskins argument are based around not conceding to outside pressure, rather and never focus on how absurd their names/logos are in the first place. And like I said, which you skipped, we aren't naming teams Jews/Blacks/anything else because its ridiculous to believe that should fly. Just because the genocide was more proportionately effective against Indians and they have far less representation which is why this has gone on so long. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

As far as I'm aware no laws or political organizations are responsible for re-naming of any sports teams, but rather the organizations adapting to consumer trends/advertisers and recognizing that the public has outgrown dated and racist team names as people have gotten more educated and less hateful over time. So essentially its the free market dictating changes!  Capitalism has saved the day. 

But to me this isn't about who's sensitive and who's not. Its about right/wrong. All Pro-Indians and Pro-Redskins argument are based around not conceding to outside pressure, rather and never focus on how absurd their names/logos are in the first place. And like I said, which you skipped, we aren't naming teams Jews/Blacks/anything else because its ridiculous to believe that should fly. Just because the genocide was more proportionately effective against Indians and they have far less representation which is why this has gone on so long. 

That's the best thing about this really, this is the most capitalist, free market, libertarian solution to the whole thing. Literally changing because monetary interest aligns with changing the thing. Like what is there to even get mad over. What is the end state of this "Slippery slope".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So serious question...what does the twitter PC cancel culture have to do with a battle that has been fought by people  for decades? I'm talking this specific item. Throw all the other stuff out because it's not applicable. This battle to have the name Indians removed (and Chief Wahoo, which obviously was previously done away with) has been going on since the 60's and 70's. We are talking 50 years of protesting. This has always been on the board of AIM's target list.  This isn't a new thing. Did the twitter cancel culture give it extra oomph? Maybe...but I'm not sure that's a bad thing in this specific instance. I don't believe that all of these things can be considered the same, which is the trap I feel like far too many people fall into. 

As a child, I remember my father having a nickname at his place of work...I thought they called him "Chief" because he was retired Air Force....Come to find out, being he was dark complexed and looking Indian in appearance....Hence the name Chief...Don't recall him ever complaining about about it....

1 minute ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

As a child, I remember my father having a nickname at his place of work...I thought they called him "Chief" because he was retired Air Force....Come to find out, being he was dark complexed and looking Indian in appearance....Hence the name Chief...Don't recall him ever complaining about about it....

So because he didn't, nobody else should? That's what we are going with? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

You just need to realize people have had to bear things far worse than having their race affiliated with a sport's franchise...

Oh I'm sorry for the confusion, our conversation is done. I know what I need to know now. Thanks for taking the time to respond. It was extremely illuminating

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

My father had Indian in him, so I guess we are...

You mean native American? You are claiming to be part native American, while simultaneously calling them the wrong name?? Yeah, I'm gonna assume that you are making all of this up lol 

How is it that 500 friggin years later people still call native Americans Indians?? 

Plot twist: their new name will be the Cleveland Native Americans