Indians to drop nickname

40Year Pack Fan

12 hours ago, Malfatron said:

if we go to New Zealand, but mess up and think its Austrailia, that doesnt make the people who see Australians.

First of all, with modern conveniences such as satellites and GPS, you'd be hard pressed not to know your location....

Second, Columbus didn't have malice of forethought when he called the people Indians instead of "Native Americans"....

Lastly, it's apparent you've never met an Aussie or a New Zealander, as you wouldn't want to mistake the two....New Zealanders don't particularly like Australians....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

3 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

First of all, with modern conveniences such as satellites and GPS, you'd be hard pressed not to know your location....

Second, Columbus didn't have malice of forethought when he called the people Indians instead of "Native Americans"....

Lastly, it's apparent you've never met an Aussie or a New Zealander, as you wouldn't want to mistake the two....New Zealanders don't particularly like Australians....

this is not true my guy 

jacinda ardern doesn't like scott morrison because scott morrison is a clown, but other than that nz and australia are like siblings - we give each other **** and have friendly rivalry but when push comes to shove we're best mates

Arachnophobia is a thing, so I think the name Spiders is out

The new name I have proposed is Barons, recycling the name from various hockey teams in Cleveland (similar to how the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans took their name from minor league baseball teams in that city).

A new look based on Cleveland's entire sports history would be implemented. Navy blue and white would remain part of the color scheme, but the shade of red used is changed to wine, used by the Cavaliers. Gold (also used by the Cavaliers), orange, and brown (both used by the Browns) would also be added to the color scheme.

There would be an alternate uniform for each non-white color.

I believe the Atlanta Braves should also change their name, like Cleveland, renaming themselves after a former hockey team, this time the former NHL team the Thrashers. The Thrashers look would be acquired by the team and used almost verbatim. One major difference is that the hockey stick of the original Thrashers logo is changed to a baseball bat.

The official colors of the NHL team were Atlanta Midnight Blue, Thrasher Ice Blue, Georgia Bronze, Capitol Copper, Peachtree Gold, and White. These would be the colors of the MLB team, but Thrasher Ice Blue would now be referred to as Thrasher Sky Blue.

The four basic designs of uniforms used by the NHL team would be the basis of alternate uniforms for the MLB team, which would cover having alternates in Atlanta Midnight Blue, Thrasher Sky Blue, and Georgia Bronze. There would also be Capitol Copper and Peachtree Gold alternates.

Atlanta's AA and Low-A affiliates, both currently carrying the Braves name, would not adopt the Thrashers name and instead choose more locally-unique identities. The AA team would become the Mississippi Mud Pies, after a popular dessert in the state. The Low-A team would become the Rome Emperors, honoring their hometown's namesake of Rome, Italy, once the capital of the Roman Empire.

The changes I have proposed for both teams' uniforms would be seen as revolutionary.

• Like 1

Furthermore, the baseball team, in becoming the Thrashers, would assure people in the Atlanta area that they, unlike their NHL namesakes, will never leave the city, especially considering that they just built a new stadium a few years ago, replacing one that opened when I was 7 years old.

18 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

this is not true my guy 

jacinda ardern doesn't like scott morrison because scott morrison is a clown, but other than that nz and australia are like siblings - we give each other **** and have friendly rivalry but when push comes to shove we're best mates

You just go on with your Pollyanna world....I knew a young girl from New Zealand and she bristled when I asked if she was from Australia...I than inquired as to why, and she bluntly told me what I mentioned above....

On 12/15/2020 at 2:59 AM, N4L said:

You mean native American? You are claiming to be part native American, while simultaneously calling them the wrong name?? Yeah, I'm gonna assume that you are making all of this up lol 

How is it that 500 friggin years later people still call native Americans Indians?? 

Plot twist: their new name will be the Cleveland Native Americans 

Tbh many consider the term Native American to be more pejorative than Indian, I don't think there's much of a consensus on the topic in the USA

On 12/17/2020 at 12:44 AM, Shady Slim said:

this is not true my guy 

@TLO tells me you and the kiwis get together to share some muesli on a regular basis

• Like 2

If changing the name of a mascot will have a profound effect on society and how people treat one another, than I applaud it...Unfortunately in a world that has far more pressing concerns, it will solve very little if any thing...People have discussed the woes caused by using a race of people as a mascot, but have yet to make one argument as to how and which things are going to improve....

There are no words to describe what I'm seeing in this thread. Yikes. 

Anyhoo...

I feel like spiders is probably on the table, but it's a little too bland. That's very 1800's. We got Kraken now in other sports...you have to go with the pizzazz. You have to roll with something like the Cleveland Tarantulas or Wolf Spiders. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

There are no words to describe what I'm seeing in this thread. Yikes. 

Anyhoo...

I feel like spiders is probably on the table, but it's a little too bland. That's very 1800's. We got Kraken now in other sports...you have to go with the pizzazz. You have to roll with something like the Cleveland Tarantulas or Wolf Spiders. 

You want pizzazz and City history? The Cleveland Flaming Rivers. 

• Like 2