Saints have a tough road ahead of them.

Jlowe22

Dang guys, I just looked at our schedule again and it's pretty brutal.  Bills, Redskins, and Rams in the middle of the season now looks like gauntlet, especially with @ Buffalo and @ Rams.  Then Atlanta x2 at the end of the season, and Lions @ Packers coming up immediately.  I see only two games the rest of the season we should have no business losing, vsBears and vsJets.  We absolutely cannot drop those two games, and then we need to win 6 out of 10 of the other games to finish 10-6 and have a shot at a wildcard.  Our division is looking really strong again(I believe NFC South actually has the best record in football), and I don't see us winning the division, I just don't think we're there yet.  But of course, it's the NFL and nothing should surprise us by now.

13 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Dang guys, I just looked at our schedule again and it's pretty brutal.  Bills, Redskins, and Rams in the middle of the season now looks like gauntlet, especially with @ Buffalo and @ Rams.  Then Atlanta x2 at the end of the season, and Lions @ Packers coming up immediately.  I see only two games the rest of the season we should have no business losing, vsBears and vsJets.  We absolutely cannot drop those two games, and then we need to win 6 out of 10 of the other games to finish 10-6 and have a shot at a wildcard.  Our division is looking really strong again(I believe NFC South actually has the best record in football), and I don't see us winning the division, I just don't think we're there yet.  But of course, it's the NFL and nothing should surprise us by now.

Yeah looking at our entire 16 game schedule, I'd say at least 10 of those games are against pretty tough opponents. If we finish with a winning record this season, we have certainly made some major improvements as this will be quite a test this season.

Agreed on all fronts. I certainly think we are capable of winning both upcoming games, but we all know how up and down our team is.

And yes this season first appeared to be easier after the bye but I'm not so sure now. If we get a playoff berth we will have definitely earned it!

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah looking at our entire 16 game schedule, I'd say at least 10 of those games are against pretty tough opponents. If we finish with a winning record this season, we have certainly made some major improvements as this will be quite a test this season.

Just curious, What if the Saints fall victim to thier schedule and end the season at 8-8 or worse... Do you use strenght of schedule as an excuse to retain Payton and the status quo?

12 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Just curious, What if the Saints fall victim to thier schedule and end the season at 8-8 or worse... Do you use strenght of schedule as an excuse to retain Payton and the status quo?

If we finish 8-8, our S.O.S. is determined at the end of year to be very hard, the games we lose are close, AND the players (and coaches) continue to improve... if all of that happens then I would be okay with another year.

Still though, there are a lot of reasons that this season is the best time to move on. So I'm good either way I guess 

52 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Me personally, no. But this is Loomis and the Saints we're talking about. 8-8.......improvement from last year! Let's do it again next year! O.o

Need to correct my dialogue....

8-8! Best recond we've had in the last 4 years! Extensions for all!

We had a really tough schedule last year too, playing many good/great defenses.  Like Giants, Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs, Cards, Rams.  Then we also played Atlanta x2, Raiders.  Other than laying a couple of turds, we had some really close losses last year.  And special teams got field goals blocked and returned three games, directly contributing to three losses.  So I think overall we improved last year from 2015, it just didn't show up in our record due to strength of schedule.  

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I'm not in the Sean Payton must go crowd quite yet, so if they end up 8-8 or better I'm against letting him go. If they end up 7-9 or worse I suppose I wouldn't be against moving on from this regime.

This is why it would really suck to be a GM. What is the dividing line for "improvement"? Based solely on record?

We've heard it for years, and I've written about it too many times, and it always sounds like this;

We lost 3 games last year from blocked field goals (well, we shouldn't have)
If our defense kept teams from scoring more than 27 points, we'd be 13-3. (well, they didn't)
If we had more depth at running back, we'd have won that playoff game (well, we didn't)

And so on. It's one excuse after another, and I'm done looking at the strength of schedule. We have an HOF QB, one of, if not the most talented receiver in the league. A good RB duo.

At some point, ya gotta cut the cord and find a fresh winner.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

This is why it would really suck to be a GM. What is the dividing line for "improvement"? Based solely on record?

We've heard it for years, and I've written about it too many times, and it always sounds like this;

We lost 3 games last year from blocked field goals (well, we shouldn't have)
If our defense kept teams from scoring more than 27 points, we'd be 13-3. (well, they didn't)
If we had more depth at running back, we'd have won that playoff game (well, we didn't)

And so on. It's one excuse after another, and I'm done looking at the strength of schedule. We have an HOF QB, one of, if not the most talented receiver in the league. A good RB duo.

At some point, ya gotta cut the cord and find a fresh winner.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.

I still can't believe we are sitting at 3-2 right now with how tough our schedule was to start the season, and how we started the season off at 0-2. Just looking at our opponents records we've had to have had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL if not hardest.

Vikings 4-2

Patriots 4-2

Panthers 4-2

Dolphins 3-2

Lions 3-3 (were 3-2 prior to us playing them)

It's also interesting that after our rough start we beat both the Panthers and Lions...Considering that the Panthers beat the Patriots, and the Lions beat the Vikings.

All 5 of these teams have a shot at making the playoffs this season, and we gone above .500 against them. Certainly some encouraging signs of life from the franchise after the past few seasons.

Also encouraging is that we aren't just beating teams we're beating the brakes off of them.

One thing I'm worried about are the turnovers we've relied on that aren't guaranteed to occur every game.  But at the same time, we're forcing a lot of them too, which is something we haven't really done since 09.

9 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Also encouraging is that we aren't just beating teams we're beating the brakes off of them.

One thing I'm worried about are the turnovers we've relied on that aren't guaranteed to occur every game.  But at the same time, we're forcing a lot of them too, which is something we haven't really done since 09.

Well as you say, we're beating the brakes off of them. Turnover amount shrinks and so does our point differential in wins, but we're not barely skating by with 5 turnovers a game or something, we're blowing teams out. As turnovers get normal so will the amount we win by. And if they somehow stay at this level then like the 09 Saints we will be capable of blowing any team out. 

Archived