2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

We’re going to go into the draft with gaping holes at RT and FS aren’t we? We love to let the rest of the league know what our plans are for the draft, so we can get jumped and proceed to reach for lesser talent. It’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Geezy said:

We’re going to go into the draft with gaping holes at RT and FS aren’t we? We love to let the rest of the league know what our plans are for the draft, so we can get jumped and proceed to reach for lesser talent. It’s ridiculous. 

Which is risky because if Richie Grant tests well he probably goes before #48 so if we go OT in the first round we may not have a good option at FS. And if we go Moehrig at #17 there's a chance most of the good OT are gone by #48.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is risky because if Richie Grant tests well he probably goes before #48 so if we go OT in the first round we may not have a good option at FS. And if we go Moehrig at #17 there's a chance most of the good OT are gone by #48.

*** backwards 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The cold part is I think that if Richy Grant test well the Raiders are going to draft him at 17 lol

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Malik Hooker on a 1 year deal and draft Trevon Moehrig at #17 and a RT to compete with Parker at #48

How many times does this need to be said?  Parker is a decent backup LT with the potential to  become a starter.  He has been unable to develop the coordination at RT because he has only played the left side.  It is similar to telling a baseball player they have to become a switch hitter.  Some people can learn, some can do it naturally, and some will not be able to.  Parker is not a RT.  He finally looked comfortable when we let him play on the left.  I feel bad for the kid and I think we should trade him to a team that will let him play there.  He is wasting his career with us.

I could definitely see Grant being the wtf pick at #17 like Karl Joseph was when we took him #14.

We haven't not had a WTF pick with our first pick in ages aside from Mack, and even he was a bit risky given the level of competition.

I could live with Grant at 17 if the other top S's are off the board. But that's about the only reason. It would be just passable enough to understand. 

17 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

How many times does this need to be said?  Parker is a decent backup LT with the potential to  become a starter.  He has been unable to develop the coordination at RT because he has only played the left side.  It is similar to telling a baseball player they have to become a switch hitter.  Some people can learn, some can do it naturally, and some will not be able to.  Parker is not a RT.  He finally looked comfortable when we let him play on the left.  I feel bad for the kid and I think we should trade him to a team that will let him play there.  He is wasting his career with us.

I agree but at this point they seem hell bent on penciling him in at RT 

I could definitely see Grant being the wtf pick at #17 like Karl Joseph was when we took him #14.

I have to be honest though. I personally don’t see the problem with grant at # 17. I want to understand peoples reasoning on that.

44 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I have to be honest though. I personally don’t see the problem with grant at # 17. I want to understand peoples reasoning on that.

Unless someone is seeking name value picks, it comes down purely to availability and who may or may not be there with pur next pick. 

For all anyone knows, Grant could be Jacksonville's 1st overall pick (he won't be, but you get the picture). Most people have him available mid-late 2nd round. Hence, the majority opinion is he's a 2nd rounder. 

If he's as good as advertised in hindsight, he will obviously be worth a 1st. But for the time being, he's a 2nd rounder. So taking him at 17 means we are sure to give up on someone between 18 amd 48. While Grant is 100% a top 75 player in the draft, arguably a top 50 even, he's not considered a slam dunk top 50 guy. Thus, he "should" be available around the time we pick in the 2nd. 

Now, "should" is never a guarantee. For all we know, Philadelphia had eyes on Josh Jacobs who "should" have been available in the 2nd round. So it's not a perfect science by any means. 

On the flip side, taking him at 17 all but guarantees we aren't getting a, let's say top 45, player to factor in some surprises and reaches with our 2nd. 

Lets look at an example. We know we need a FS and a RT and Moehrig is off the board. Lo and behold, Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker, and Cosmi are all available at 17. They almost certainly won't be at 48. So if we took Grant early, our target for RT could be ranked well outside of the consensus top 50 prospects, leading to a reach. 

Instead of grabbing 2 top 50 prospects and filling needs with both, we have a top 50 taken in the top 25 and, for illustrations sake, the #76 ranked prospect. Not as pretty, particularly when we have back to back picks in the 3rd. Or, even if we don't take a reach in the 2nd, we're likely getting a better player but not addressing a clear need until we pick again in the 3rd. 

In short, it's not necessarily who you get, but who you willingly give up on getting going forward. 

Edited by ronjon1990