2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

As much as I have questioned some of the moves we have made - I don’t think there’s any need to be impatient at this stage.

Take CB for example. It could be that Poole is there preferred option and they are willing to wait in the hope they sign him. They feel either he’s worth waiting for or that there will still be some options if he doesn’t sign. Or that the market is saturated and that they can get good value. Or even that they are confident some good CBS will be cut later as teams scramble to reduce their cap.

Same with Safety. I do wonder if there’s a slim chance that the rumour about Boston around him signing late so he can avoid camp could be true and he’s effectively already signed - but not officially....

1 minute ago, reddevil said:

As much as I have questioned some of the moves we have made - I don’t think there’s any need to be impatient at this stage.

Take CB for example. It could be that Poole is there preferred option and they are willing to wait in the hope they sign him. They feel either he’s worth waiting for or that there will still be some options if he doesn’t sign. Or that the market is saturated and that they can get good value. Or even that they are confident some good CBS will be cut later as teams scramble to reduce their cap.

Same with Safety. I do wonder if there’s a slim chance that the rumour about Boston around him signing late so he can avoid camp could be true and he’s effectively already signed - but not officially....

The thing with S is if Heath was a FA right now, he'd be right there with the top guys available. So you don't really need to rush to sign someone when the options are just average.

7 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

The thing with S is if Heath was a FA right now, he'd be right there with the top guys available. So you don't really need to rush to sign someone when the options are just average.

Isn't Heath more of a strong safety? 

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Not the way he got ran over by darnold he’s fs imo 

With Dallas he was always listed as a SS and was one of their leading tacklers. IIRC, Cowboys fans would always complain about his lapses in coverage. 

Heath on what he thought his role would be when he signed with us: 

“That’s kind of something that started when I played in college. I played the strong safety role, free safety role, kind of a nickel, outside linebacker type player, which is becoming a lot more popular in the NFL now. I think having that versatility is what has even allowed me to make a career in the NFL."

Edited by NYRaider

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

very talented pass rushing DT hits FA when all the money has been taken up 

Yup. He would’ve been the number 1 or 2 target in free agency for the Raiders next to  Ngakoue if he got released last week or two weeks ago. Wack

Do we not have the money for Reed should we want him? I’d think we probably aren’t too far away as we stand. If not, could we not cut Richard and Hurst and have enough? Would love for us to go for it. I know we’ve invested a lot on DT - but these opportunities don’t come around that often.

1 minute ago, reddevil said:

Do we not have the money for Reed should we want him? I’d think we probably aren’t too far away as we stand. If not, could we not cut Richard and Hurst and have enough? Would love for us to go for it. I know we’ve invested a lot on DT - but these opportunities don’t come around that often.

Cut Solomon Thomas and Quinton Jefferson and pay Reed, lol. 

4 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Yes, we can fit him under the cap if we want. There are many ways to keep a year 1 cap hit low.

59 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Bout to have like 9 DTs.

Hope so! In seriousness, presumably Philon and Dickerson were brought in to be camp competition to go with Vickers. They could all be cut, along with Hurst - who I would be happy to keep and think a competent DC could get more from, but wouldn’t lose sleep if we brought in someone better.

That would leave us with:

NT - Hankins, Jefferson

3T - Reed, Irving, Thomas 

Not too shabby