Week 7 | Other Games Thread

IDOG_det

GOTW  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the Game Of The Week?

• #24 Texas Tech @ West Virginia
    • #12 Oklahoma @ Texas

13 hours ago, NateDawg said:

A one loss Big Ten champ is guaranteed in over Clemson.

That's not even close to true.  Clemson has two strong wins early on in the season against Auburn and Louisville.  The problem is their backend of the schedule is weak with the only real notable game being at North Carolina State.  The Big 10's strength comes from the fact that their big wins would come later in the year.

1 minute ago, cp0k2 said:

Unless you're 'Bama or Ohio State.

Alabama is probably the only 1-loss team who might get the benefit of the doubt for not winning their conference, and they'd probably need the right things to happen.  IF they were to lose to Georgia, and Georgia went on to win their conference than yeah, Alabama probably gets the nod over another 1-loss team.  Right now, Oklahoma is behind Ohio State because their loss was more recent, but I'd imagine those two teams will flip in a few weeks.  I'd imagine Auburn sorts itself out.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Alabama is probably the only 1-loss team who might get the benefit of the doubt for not winning their conference, and they'd probably need the right things to happen.  IF they were to lose to Georgia, and Georgia went on to win their conference than yeah, Alabama probably gets the nod over another 1-loss team.  Right now, Oklahoma is behind Ohio State because their loss was more recent, but I'd imagine those two teams will flip in a few weeks.  I'd imagine Auburn sorts itself out.

I'm going strictly by recent history.

Let's look at this objectively.

Penn State - They've got a tough 3 game slate starting with Michigan showing up to play them next week.  And the following week they travel to Columbus, and then follow up that with a trip to East Lansing.  For me, it's pretty hard not to see them losing at least one of those games, with their game against Ohio State as probably their biggest test.  After those three, it's relatively smooth sailing but they need to come out and not lose any of their games.

Georgia - A pretty weak conference schedule really hurts them if they lose, but they've really only got Auburn on their schedule.  I don't want to say they have to go undefeated to make it the playoffs, but I think you'd be hard pressed to put a 1-loss Georgia team who didn't win their conference over a 1-loss P5 team who did win their conference.  Their OOC schedule doesn't really do them any favors.

Washington - You could even put Washington in the same breath as Georgia, although their conference schedule looks a bit better.  Big games loom against Stanford and Washington State.  Don't overlook Josh Rosen at UCLA though.  A weak OOC schedule could really come back to haunt them if they slip up.

TCU - They've got two big wins against Oklahoma State and West Virginia with two other games that could be a big part of their rankings with Oklahoma and TCU.  A win against Oklahoma would be HUGE for them, along with a conference championship.

Wisconsin - @bkobow05 will hate me, but I think they're in the same boat as Georgia.  I don't think a 1-loss conference champ helps them much given their schedule.

Ohio State - Like I mentioned, their loss to Oklahoma looms large.  The best part of their argument is they've yet to face the meat of their schedule.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wasn't that the 3-way tie year?

Last year? Penn State and Ohio State both had one loss buy Penn state beat OSU so they went to the championship game and won. OSU still was in the college playoffs instead.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's look at this objectively.

Penn State - They've got a tough 3 game slate starting with Michigan showing up to play them next week.  And the following week they travel to Columbus, and then follow up that with a trip to East Lansing.  For me, it's pretty hard not to see them losing at least one of those games, with their game against Ohio State as probably their biggest test.  After those three, it's relatively smooth sailing but they need to come out and not lose any of their games.

Georgia - A pretty weak conference schedule really hurts them if they lose, but they've really only got Auburn on their schedule.  I don't want to say they have to go undefeated to make it the playoffs, but I think you'd be hard pressed to put a 1-loss Georgia team who didn't win their conference over a 1-loss P5 team who did win their conference.  Their OOC schedule doesn't really do them any favors.

Washington - You could even put Washington in the same breath as Georgia, although their conference schedule looks a bit better.  Big games loom against Stanford and Washington State.  Don't overlook Josh Rosen at UCLA though.  A weak OOC schedule could really come back to haunt them if they slip up.

TCU - They've got two big wins against Oklahoma State and West Virginia with two other games that could be a big part of their rankings with Oklahoma and TCU.  A win against Oklahoma would be HUGE for them, along with a conference championship.

Wisconsin - @bkobow05 will hate me, but I think they're in the same boat as Georgia.  I don't think a 1-loss conference champ helps them much given their schedule.

Ohio State - Like I mentioned, their loss to Oklahoma looms large.  The best part of their argument is they've yet to face the meat of their schedule.

You had me until you said Georgia has a weak non-conference schedule. Notre Dame is ranked #16 right now and if they win a couple of their big upcoming games, will be a great win for Georgia. Also, thy do play Georgia Tech, who could end up being a good win as well.

17 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Last year? Penn State and Ohio State both had one loss buy Penn state beat OSU so they went to the championship game and won. OSU still was in the college playoffs instead.

Penn State had two losses, one to a crappy Pitt team, and the other by 39 to Michigan. 

Archived