What Song Are You Listening To?

D82

RHCP's tribute to Eddie Van Halen.. These 4 have an unbelievable amount of chemistry and energy to spare even at their age. Even if you hate RHCP, skip to the 4:20 mark and check out John's solo

It's not 9 minutes, whoever uploaded this added 3+ mins of piano playing (?!)

• 2 weeks later...

Listened through the entire album of Led Zeppelin II yesterday.  Probably their most complete album from start to finish, even if I think iV is their best because of more highlights.  I do think the track list order should have been a little different.  Despite the appropriate title name, I don't think Bring It On Home should have been the album closer.  I could see it closing side 1 though.  Just a couple small tweaks, I think it'd flow better if it were in this order:

Side One (20:57)
1. Whole Lotta Love (5:34)
2. What Is and What Should Never Be (4:46)
3. The Lemon Song (6:20)
4. Bring It on Home (4:18)

Side Two (20:39)
5. Heartbreaker (4:15)
6. Living Loving Maid (2:39)
7. Thank You (4:50)
8. Moby **** (4:20)
9. Ramble On (4:35)

Bring it On Home kind of just fizzles out at the end with the opening blues riff just repeated and it kind of just ends.  I think Ramble On which fades away almost kind of full swing gives it that feeling that it will go on forever, we just stopped listening to it there.  I think that'd make a better album closer, especially to an album as strong as LZII.  I think Bring it On Home to close out side one also balances the album better with giving side 2 a more etherial break with Thank You in between the first two tracks (which can't be separated) and is a good cleanser before Moby ***** extended drum solo and great guitar licks at start and close.  

Here's the original tracklist so you don't have to look it up

Side One (21:30)
1. Whole Lotta Love (5:34)
2. What Is and What Should Never Be (4:46)
3. The Lemon Song (6:20)
4. Thank You (4:50)

Side Two (20:07)
5. Heartbreaker (4:15)
6. Living Loving Maid (2:39)
7. Ramble On (4:35)
8. Moby **** (4:20)
9. Bring It on Home (4:18)

Still a top 10-20 album all time for me as it is, just think it could have been tweaked a little more, even adding for the vinyl limitations and balancing that you have to think about back then.

• Like 1

Zep is my favorite band, but I don't think II is their best, or even most consistent.  IV is the go-to, and a lot of its songs are overplayed, but I still put it at the top, front to back, song for song, without question.  Greatest album of all time, not a single song on that tracklist isn't absolutely stellar.

But since it is overplayed, I do like to hold up III as the other best.  Gallows Pole, Immigrant Song, and That's the Way are all time greats, and every song in between is at it's absolute weakest, great.  The ending combo of Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Hats Off to Roy Harper is a fun way to end a Zep record.  Both are just really toe tappy, fun, upbeat bluesy songs.

I'm also really partial to Houses of the Holy front to back.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Zep is my favorite band, but I don't think II is their best, or even most consistent.  IV is the go-to, and a lot of its songs are overplayed, but I still put it at the top, front to back, song for song, without question.  Greatest album of all time, not a single song on that tracklist isn't absolutely stellar.

But since it is overplayed, I do like to hold up III as the other best.  Gallows Pole, Immigrant Song, and That's the Way are all time greats, and every song in between is at it's absolute weakest, great.  The ending combo of Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Hats Off to Roy Harper is a fun way to end a Zep record.  Both are just really toe tappy, fun, upbeat bluesy songs.

I'm also really partial to Houses of the Holy front to back.

I just never really cared for Four Sticks or The Battle of Evermore on IV, and it really breaks up the flow for me, whereas on II I can press start on Whole Lotta Love and i'm good for the next 41 minutes.  Stairway and Levee are just absolute classics though, and Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Misty, and Going to California aren't too far behind.

I haven't listened to III or HotH all the way through in a long time, I should try to find some time for those again soon.  I recall preferring HoTH over III.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I just never really cared for Four Sticks or The Battle of Evermore on IV, and it really breaks up the flow for me, whereas on II I can press start on Whole Lotta Love and i'm good for the next 41 minutes.  Stairway and Levee are just absolute classics though, and Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Misty, and Going to California aren't too far behind.

I haven't listened to III or HotH all the way through in a long time, I should try to find some time for those again soon.  I recall preferring HoTH over III.

HOTH was my go-to Zep record in high school.

I love Four Sticks and Battle of Evermore, myself, but different strokes.  One of my best concert memories was seeing Robert Plant (with Allison Krauss) at Bonnaroo.  Don't care for country music, but I wanted to see Plant because I knew that's the closest to a Zep show I'd ever get to.  They did Battle of Evermore, with Krauss singing the falsetto parts and a slowed down, bluegrassy version of Black Dog in the set (T Bone Burnett on guitar), and it was ******* awesome.

And Four Sticks is one of my low key favorites on that record.

All in all though, you can't go wrong with any of Zep's first five IMO.  All are playable all the way through.  Presence and Physical Graffiti are a bit more inconsistent IMO, even though I know real Zep fans are supposed to prefer PG.

• Like 1