What Song Are You Listening To?

D82

I've always loved this song, simple and catchy but it does have something to say. it was a staple of the CD mixes my dad would burn. I've never seen the video until today and wow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on a big Paul McCartney kick lately so I finally sat down and listened through his first Wings effort, Wild life

Wings,_Wild_Life_(1971).png

Given i've heard a fair bit of crap talked about this album, I was pleasantly surprised.  It doesn't quite have the high points people would have looked for in a collection of songs from McCartney, but there are a few real good cuts here and it was fairly consistent throughout. 

The only real low point for me was 'I Am Your Singer' which pretty much feels like a skip any time it would come up on a random shuffle.  Even most of the rest of what I would call the average cuts are songs I could dig every now and then which would be a good half of the album.  Dear Friend was a good sentimental call back that I could see how it helped smooth things over with Lennon after the tumultuous Too Many People/How Do You Sleep back and forth.  Just dripping with emotion, in the best sense.  Mumbo is the opening track and it's a bop that I definitely dug.  Some People Never Know could be tightened up a little bit, but that would have fit on any of the latter stage Beatles albums and even without John and George brought some nice harmonies with Denny Laine and Linda.  My favorite song on the album was Love is Strange.  It starts a little slow but keeps building and really gets in a great groove for the second half of the song.  It's a great song that could have maybe been an all timer had it been a Lennon/McCartney collaboration, because it feels like the kind of song John would have loved working on.  Even without that, it's a real cool song and one that i'd have on any Wings 'Best Of' list. 

No true classics on Wild Life, but it's a solid collection of songs that work together real well when listening to it as a whole.  It's definitely an album I can see myself listening to all the way through again in the future.

Singles from these sessions:
Little Woman Love is a similar quick paced toe tapper, maybe not quite the same groove as Mumbo, but still a lot of fun. It was originally part of the Ram sessions but almost made this album and is on later releases.  Not sure why it was a B side to the Mary Had a Little Lamb song that i'm guessing Paul wrote for his kids as it was clearly the better song imo.  Give Ireland Back to the Irish is ok, but nothing overtly special. Not what I would have chosen as the first Wings single, but it's a solid song.

Classics: None
Good/Great: Love is Strange, Some People Never Know, Mumbo, Dear Friend
Solid: Bip Bop, Wild Life, Tomorrow, Mumbo Link
Meh: I Am Your Singer, Bip Bop Link

Overall i'd give WIld Life a solid B grade.  Closer to B- than B+, but i'd say B nonetheless.

• Like 1