Washington @ Philadelphia flexed to SNF for Week 17

TheKillerNacho

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are you kidding me? lol the AFC playoff scenarios are crazy, and the NFC is just sad at this point. Also the NFC is objectively inferior to the AFC this year, and it shows in their H2H records. Not sure why DVOA or anything else would matter when they can't beat AFC teams lol

the AFC playoff picture is more interesting heading into week 17, but that doesn't mean the AFC is better. The NFC is objectively superior:

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

the AFC vs NFC H2H overall record is buoyed by the AFC strongest division (North) beating up on the weakest NFC division (East).

This is why context matters...

And again, DVOA doesn't mean anything when you've already got matchups like KC/NO going to KC and BUF/SEA where Buffalo boat-raced Seattle. Those are just off the top of my head. DVOA also puts Pittsburgh at #8 which is hilarious.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And again, DVOA doesn't mean anything when you've already got matchups like KC/NO going to KC and BUF/SEA where Buffalo boat-raced Seattle. Those are just off the top of my head. DVOA also puts Pittsburgh at #8 which is hilarious.

DVOA means more because it includes those h2h matchups (and every other one in 2020).

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

the AFC vs NFC H2H overall record is buoyed by the AFC strongest division (North) beating up on the weakest NFC division (East).

This is why context matters...

Even if you ignore the AFC West vs NFC East, there's still five AFC teams with a positive record over the NFC (Colts 4-0, Chiefs 4-0, Titans 3-1, Bills 3-1, Dolphins 3-1) compared to the NFC's three (Seahawks 3-1, Bucs 3-1, Packers 3-1).

But no, you don't get points for ejecting your conference's weakest division anyway. The NFC East is still part of the NFC, my friend. And the rest of the NFC has pounded on the NFC East themselves (via 24 in-conference games) more than the AFC has (via its 16 out of conference games against them), anyway. Every team in the NFC has had the pleasure to get a team from the NFC East on their schedule (with the NFC West getting four each).

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Even if you ignore the AFC West vs NFC East, there's still five AFC teams with a positive record over the NFC (Colts 4-0, Chiefs 4-0, Titans 3-1, Bills 3-1, Dolphins 3-1) compared to the NFC's three (Seahawks 3-1, Bucs 3-1, Packers 3-1).

But no, you don't get points for ejecting your conference's weakest division anyway. The NFC East is still part of the NFC, my friend. And the rest of the NFC has pounded on the NFC East themselves (via 24 in-conference games) more than the AFC has (via its 16 out of conference games against them), anyway. Every team in the NFC has had the pleasure to get a team from the NFC East on their schedule (with the NFC West getting four each).

This is all accounted for (and more) in DVOA

Edited by incognito_man

Just now, incognito_man said:

This is all accounted for (and more) in DVOA

in the exact portions they should be factored in?

DVOA is a pretty good metric by metrics go but it's no where near flawless. Using it as an end-all to support your view is a pretty poor look unless you want to discuss what factors in DVOA that are actually favoring the NFC and defend their weight in the metric.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

in the exact portions they should be factored in?

DVOA is a pretty good metric by metrics go but it's no where near flawless. Using it as an end-all to support your view is a pretty poor look unless you want to discuss what factors in DVOA that are actually favoring the NFC and defend their weight in the metric.

it's certainly superior to a single h2h comparison considering that's already accounted for.

I don't understand why anyone would prefer to use a far, far, FAR less complete dataset when an obviously superior one is free and available and in front of them. The only reason I can think of is that it doesn't support one's argument. 

Edited by incognito_man