12/29 Mock Draft

BayRaider

39 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Did you use your own personal ratings of prospects or TDN's?  Just curious.

Being that there's no Rams 1st round pick to comment on and this is only a 1st round mock, I kind of question whether Mayfield would be the Chargers' pick, even if they went OT - which I'm still not sold on if Telesco stays.

A lot is likely going to lay on whether the Spanos clan is dumb enough to stick with Anthony Lynn, so really there's no telling who the HC/OC would be if they were to replace him, and the only eval to go off of with what we know... well... @CWood21's familiar with James Campen from when he was the OL coach in Green Bay, and Jalen Mayfield doesn't really scream Campen's cup of tea at OT to me.  Remember, Campen covets those athletic tackle types, but he puts a priority on feet, especially when we're talking this early... and the most glaring hole in Mayfield's game right now is the underdevelopment of his footwork.  Guys like Raddunz or Abraham Lucas on Day 2 feel much more like Campen picks, if LA decides to stick with the coaching stand and him.

With Hunter Henry likely hitting the market, seeing the Chargers opt for a "unique" (ish... not like there aren't somewhat similar talents in the league) weapon for Herbert in Pitts.  I could be possible they go WR and let Mike Williams walk, but smart money says he's probably taken the same route that Henry was and at least tagged a year to further see what they've got in Guyton and Tyron Johnson.

A mix of my own, TDN, and others. I haven’t really done a deep dive yet so not relying solely on my own. 

Edited by BayRaider

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t think Lock has been as bad as everyone is claiming. He has earned at least a make or break year in 2021. 

He moves the ball well, and has great tools, it’s just those random turnovers he needs to clean up. He’s basically Jameis Winston, but with potential. 

If Fields is on the board for the Broncos, they have to take Fields and move on from Lock. Sure, if it's between QB4/QB5 you might as well give Lock a try, but Lock has been terrible, not just with his interceptions, but mainly not having the vision. Jeudy is basically open 9/10 times, and sometimes he's not even looking at him or just don't see him while he has time in the pocket.

You are much higher on Gregory than i am as i don't feel he is a top 5 talent and barely a top 10 talent in this draft.  He just hasn't impressed me that much at all after watching him as a top 10 player.  I think this is a bit of a week draft in the 1st round at DE and we got more than enough needs and positions to take something else.  Now if we traded down to the bottom half of the top 10 or say 11/12  then im cool with going Gregory there and getting more picks. 

I would much rather take Fields, Micah, or Surtain there  #1 choice would probably be Fields though as Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson are the only top 5 to 10 QB's to me in this draft.

11 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

You are much higher on Gregory than i am as i don't feel he is a top 5 talent and barely a top 10 talent in this draft.  He just hasn't impressed me that much at all after watching him as a top 10 player.  I think this is a bit of a week draft in the 1st round at DE and we got more than enough needs and positions to take something else.  Now if we traded down to the bottom half of the top 10 or say 11/12  then im cool with going Gregory there and getting more picks. 

I would much rather take Fields, Micah, or Surtain there  #1 choice would probably be Fields though as Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson are the only top 5 to 10 QB's to me in this draft.

Why take a QB? Ryan can easily put on another 4 great seasons. And he is still a Top 10 QB. Problem is the coaching, and OL needs to be fixed a bit. Dirk Koetter is the worst OC in the NFL. Look at Ryan in 2016 with Kyle or 2018 with the Bama guy, both great hires, and Ryan was a Top 3 QB both seasons. 

Get Ryan another great offensive mind, and he’ll put up another Top 5 QB season. 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, BayRaider said:

Why take a QB? Ryan can easily put on another 4 great seasons. And he is still a Top 10 QB. Problem is the coaching, and OL needs to be fixed a bit. Dirk Koetter is the worst OC in the NFL. Look at Ryan in 2016 with Kyle or 2018 with the Bama guy, both great hires, and Ryan was a Top 3 QB both seasons. 

Get Ryan another great offensive mind, and he’ll put up another Top 5 QB season. 

Because i don't plan us being top 5 again under ryan and company.  Plus as much as i love Ryan you can see him starting to lose velocity on throws during the games.  Not saying his time has come yet but he is starting to show some cracks.  So to me with as bad as our cap situation is right now and not expecting us to be a top 5 pick again.  I fully think you take a top 5 Qb talent and sit him for a year or 2 while learning the new coach's system and playbook while also having insurance for Ryan just randomly falling off a cliff and also learning from Ryan for the next year or 2 before he takes over.  I plan on Ryan and Julio being here next year but can't say the same for 2022 and 2023 with us needing massive cap help and them being the guys who are much older and giving up biggest cap problems.

This also allows us to upgrade our backup Qb situation with a legit player incase Ryan gets injured and finally allows us to move on from Schuab while knowing we are already planned ahead for the next 15 years with no drop off.    I am thinking long term not short term with this pick as i DAMN SURE don't want a situation where Ryan just can't do it anymore and we are stuck drafting guys throwing them to the fire like the Jets and Browns did for so long.  We did that with Ryan and got lucky it usually doesn't turn out that way lol.