2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Two things here. 

1. "Get talent in the building Joe" He's going to do that through the draft

2. Free Agency is hit or miss just like the draft only thing is you're in less control of the outcome both who you sign and how they perform. You have to be very careful about who you bring in here and who you pay huge amounts of money to. 

1. It’s not an either or thing. The draft is a lottery we all know that. Bringing proven players who are quality, have the type of character this team needs and most importantly some personality and toughness. I have said the same thing for years now and this idea that we will create this dream team through the draft is just day dreaming. Sure the draft is a key aspect to get better but JD is getting paid big money to find talent in FA too. Not some journeyman who will stick around for a year. 

2. Just look what TB done over the last few years. Not just Brady bug they went out and got two quality proven edge rushers in JPP and Shaq. Two players I desperately wanted us to sign. Instead we sign joe blow and as usual have no talent on the roster. 

Edited by xenajets

6 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Douglas won’t overpay players. We’re likely heading for a handful of low risk, high ceiling signings. Or just plain low risk.

Lock it up fellas. Let’s move on to the draft. Nothing to see here.

The death rates here in the UK will rise by astronomical levels if that’s the case. Just sayin...

4 minutes ago, xenajets said:

1. It’s not an either or thing. The draft is a lottery we all know that. Bringing proven players who are quality, have the type of character this team needs and most importantly some personality and toughness. I have said the same thing for years now and this idea that we will create this dream team through the draft is just day dreaming. Sure the draft is a key aspect to get better but JD is getting paid big money to find talent in FA too. Not some journeyman who will stick around for a year. 

2. Just look what TB done over the last few years. Not just Brady bug they went out and got two quality proven edge rushers in JPP and Shaq. Two players I desperately wanted us to sign. Instead we sign joe blow and as usual have no talent on the roster. 

1. The method has worked over the years, its a proven successful method to team building. I'm not against spending money I just see the other side of the coin as well. 

2. Tampa Bay signed Barrett to a 1 year prove it deal and then franchise tagged him the next year. JPP was also signed to a modest deal. Deals Joe possibly would have also pursued. Those aren't day 1 deals. Day 1 deals get you Mario Williams in Buffalo or Albert Hansworth in DC. 

Now Joe cannot just concede this off-season, he has to be more aggressive and we deserve it as a fan base but I still do not want him just throwing money around. Lastly and most importantly players still have to want to sign here. Douglas has no control over that outside of backing up the brinks truck.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

1. The method has worked over the years, its a proven successful method to team building. I'm not against spending money I just see the other side of the coin as well. 

2. Tampa Bay signed Barrett to a 1 year prove it deal and then franchise tagged him the next year. JPP was also signed to a modest deal. Deals Joe possibly would have also pursued. Those aren't day 1 deals. Day 1 deals get you Mario Williams in Buffalo or Albert Hansworth in DC. 

Now Joe cannot just concede this off-season, he has to be more aggressive and we deserve it as a fan base but I still do not want him just throwing money around. Lastly and most importantly players still have to want to sign here. Douglas has no control over that outside of backing up the brinks truck.

Of course building through the draft works but to think we somehow can’t go and get multiple quality players in FA also is just wrong. We have the cap space and I’m not saying go after old vets who want one last pay day. We need a massive overhaul in this squad and FA is a great tool to do this. 

Part of the job surely is pitching. What high level executive doesn’t have to pitch to win contracts or deals. JD needs to go out there and get some talent and I’m all for just focusing in the trenches and working our way out.

Talent is out there...we have **** loads of money...and in probably the biggest sports market in the world. There’s plenty to work with here. 

Reminder. 

When Saleh joined the 49ers after being in Jacksonville with Shanahan coming from Atlanta they did not go after every Jag and Falcon available. They got their own guys. I think we might grab some 2nd tier 49er free agents just off of familiarity but Saleh will probably still seek his own guys to grow with for our team.