BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It's so obvious, that you've been wrong every single time you've made an assumption. 

Let's see. You assumed I signed Alvin Kamara to replace Derrick Henry, and will try to trade Henry by mid season.

You assumed I signed Corey Davis to be my #1 WR.

You are now assuming I'm signing Matthew Stafford to a 17k (current high) contract to be my backup.

Yes I'm keeping track. 

No, I assumed you would try to trade Derrick Henry because he has by far the easier contract to move. You signed a running back who has never rushed for 1000 yards to a $17k/year deal. Okay, so you're gonna run a run-heavy offense with Kamara flexing into the slot/catching passes out of the backfield, makes sense apart from the money (and turning Derrick Henry into a highly-overpaid fullback part of the time, if he's even on the field). That much is glaringly obvious...except you're now spending big on a WR (who has never had a 1000 yard receiving season, nor can stay healthy, who was let go by the team that drafted him with nary an attempt to resign him) and on another QB. You've got a lot of money committed at running back, and soon to other players, with the cap going down substantially next year and only 3 Downs, only one of which can be used on a player with a 3+ year contract. Keep spending like this, and I think you will try to, and you'll be forced into trading players whether you "intend" to now or not simply to create cap space.

I never said Davis was your No. 1 receiver. You said he was the No. 1 receiver for your QB (who is apparently not your starting QB, lol), and I pointed out that Davis hasn't even practiced with the team yet.

I never said you were signing Stafford to be a backup. That is, in fact, that only thing I don't think you are signing him for. I said you were signing him as an option for if/when Wilson isn't a franchise QB out the gates. You are the one making the assumption here.

FA ROUND 1 Review

Anchorage:

RB Marlon Mack; Mack is a solid depth addition for Anchorage who recently parted with Antonio Gibson but still has Taylor and Dobbins, both in prime positions for success. Its not a flashy signing, but more one of efficiency.

WR Marvin Jones; Solid Depth, alternative slot guy at a reasonable price. 

TE Tyler Higbee; With a new QB in LA, I think Higbee could.actually have a solid year and Anchorage got him at a reasonable cost. At this time, I see it as a good signing.

Antartica:

RB Chase Edmonds; Solid potential, but he has to retain the starting job first. The success of thus addition is dependent heavily upon AZs success as an offense. 

WR Antonio Brown; Not shocked by this. It's a signing based on Fandom. Is it a good signing? I mean they know who their #5 WR is I guess.

TE Tim Tebow; well, that's something. 

Berlin:
WR Allen Robinson; Solid signing in a #1 WR. Gives Rodgers a legit target and will certainly boost Berlins receiving Corps.

Camden

RB Austin Ekeler; Solid Depth, BDL quality starter.

TE Gerald Everett; Not a bad signing, Everett has been fairly solid for the last couple seasons, this gives Camden another weapon. At this time, I'm a fan of this move.

Cancun

FB Kyle Juszczyk; Idk about him being their lead risher but Juice is a legit weapon for any offense. Solid addition here for Cancun.

RB Alexander Mattison; Good speed back whose relevance hinges on Dalvin Cooks health. It's a signing, not necessarily one that moves the needle.

TE Josiah Deguara; Honestly idk enough about this guy to speculate positively or negatively so I'll let rhe season progression speak for itself here.

WR Josh Reynolds; This strikes me as a depth, slot role signing and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cuba:
RB Jamaal Williams; he typically gets some opportunities throughout the season so as a depth piece this is an efficient, quality signing.

TE Gabe Nabers; Who? No, seriously, who? 

Death Valley:

RB Alvin Kamara: The first thing people will say is that DVN overpaid. Maybe they did, but since the beginning of the 2020 season, Kamara was tabbed as a possible FA signing by their ownership. This was their #1 priority in FA. They saw an opportunity they were willing to pursue and got their guy. It adds a whole new dynamic to their offense that they did not previously have. Personally I am a huge fan of this signing.

WR Corey Davis; Big contract, slightly above up contract cost. At the end of the day this is a low risk, high reward signing. Corey Davis projects to be an outside receiver for the NY Jets and the #2 WR for DVN. If he has a good tenure with the Jets, this contract will be more than worth it and it pairs him with his RL QB, if not, he is simply a future 3D and no harm done.

Gotham:

RB Kenyan Drake; Could be in for a big season, solid addition.

TE Evan Engram; Solid TE signing, gives them a good 1-2 punch with Ebron and Engram at TE. Solid depth signing in that regard also.

Hungary:

RB: Joe Mixon; Solid starter signing at RB. Stole one from NOLA, never a bad thing.

RB Darryton Evans; The handicap to Derrick Henry. Could be a good future piece, an occasional spell back.

WR Marquise Goodwin; Cheap depth that can add some splash. I like it.

TE Jonnu Smith; Smith had a big year last year and ended up selling out to NE as a result. NE is usually pretty good at using their TEs so this should pay dividends.

TE Ian Thomas; Thomas has big shoes to fill, he has shown flashes and I think this signing, albeit a not very costly one anyway, is more about potential. I can appreciate that, so this is a signing to keep an eye on down the road. 

Ivory Coast:

RB Ezekiel Elliot; Solid signing for just under the cost it would've taken to 3 up him. Good depth, compliment to Chubb. 

TE Evan Engram; This is a 2-sided coin. Evan Engram has been above average but not necessarily great. This is a make or break season irl for him. I like the addition for ICBR because I've got a feeling Engram is going to have a big year.

Lancaster:

RB Leonard Fournette; This signing is understandably hopeful of him having another big year with Tampa Bay.  I get it because he had a very good 2020 season. I like this move for Lancaster after having lost Kamara in free agency. Good starter replacement.

RB: Le'Veon Bell; I mean, it might be a good signing if he ends up with a team. If he doesn't, the cost is extremely minimal.

RB Giovanni Bernard; Bargain Scat back.

WR Curtis Samuel: Solid signing, Samuel's career progression is trending in the right direction, he should be a very good weapon for Lancaster.

New Orleans:

RB James Conner; Hr was pretty terrible in 2020, he was probably worthy of a shark tank contract but it's a cheap deal and they lost Mixon to FA so they need someone with consistency. Conner isn't that guy, might not even start for AZ but he is depth.

RB Tevin Coleman; I mean, Coleman has shown some good ability in the past but let's be real, this isn't a BDL starter, it's more depth.

RB Christopher Carson; Finally got a viable BDL starter, if he continues to be a starter on his own irl team. Good move in the quest to replace the more talented Joe Mixon.

Raleigh:

JD McKissic; For me this is simply solid depth, of course it likely is for them too with Cmac on the roster. McKissic has had spurts of good play so overall, I don't hate it.

WR Robert Woods; Imo, solid WR addition, solid starter quality player for BDL. 

Rome:

RB Todd Gurley; When healthy and on his A game, Gurley still has a lot to offer. As a likely depth back for Rome, this is a solid boost to their offense.

Seoul:

TE Nick Boyle; While Boyle has the ability as a receiver, to me and maybe for Seoul also, this is a really good blocking TE signing and if you're going to succeed running the ball, you need one of those. It's probably more than I would've spent, maybe a shark tank guy, but they're happy with it so overall, good signing.

WR Brandin Cooks; When he is healthy and being utilized, Cooks is a good WR, So irl, Cooks plays for a team without a viable QB (at the moment seemingly), in BDL, Ryan can get a lot out of Cooks imo. Not a bad signing, this might be Cooks cheapest contract in a while. 

Singapore:

RB Keyshaun Vaughn; The #3 or 4 RB on Tampa Bays roster. I'm not sure if they know something I don't but, hey, it's a warm body.

WR Kendrick Bourne; I have a feeling this is more of a long term investment than a short term one knowing Lance will eventually take over at QB and Bourne probably compliments that skill set. Bourne has shown flashes but never really broken out yet. I like the potential of this addition though.

TE Donald Parham; OH that guy? ...Never heard of him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, I assumed you would try to trade Derrick Henry because he has by far the easier contract to move. You signed a running back who has never rushed for 1000 yards to a $17k/year deal. Okay, so you're gonna run a run-heavy offense with Kamara flexing into the slot/catching passes out of the backfield, makes sense apart from the money (and turning Derrick Henry into a highly-overpaid fullback part of the time, if he's even on the field). That much is glaringly obvious...except you're now spending big on a WR (who has never had a 1000 yard receiving season, nor can stay healthy, who was let go by the team that drafted him with nary an attempt to resign him) and on another QB. You've got a lot of money committed at running back, and soon to other players, with the cap going down substantially next year and only 3 Downs, only one of which can be used on a player with a 3+ year contract. Keep spending like this, and I think you will try to, and you'll be forced into trading players whether you "intend" to now or not simply to create cap space.

I never said Davis was your No. 1 receiver. You said he was the No. 1 receiver for your QB (who is apparently not your starting QB, lol), and I pointed out that Davis hasn't even practiced with the team yet.

I never said you were signing Stafford to be a backup. That is, in fact, that only thing I don't think you are signing him for. I said you were signing him as an option for if/when Wilson isn't a franchise QB out the gates. You are the one making the assumption here.

All of that is fair but I've gone into all of this also with next year's cap in mind. So, it seems like we had a miscommunication on Stafford then, because we agree, I'm not signing him to be my backup. On Davis, I agree it's a risky contract. Definitely spent more than I would have liked but that isn't regret, I am confident (for now) with that addition. 

With Kamara, yes I do have a lot of space wrapped up in RB but I like the versatility the 2 RBs give me. Additionally I'm poised to open up space with some guys not coming back on 1 year deals next season.

Also, I definitely won't keep spending big like this, because it's simply not sustainable long term. 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

All of that is fair but I've gone into all of this also with next year's cap in mind.

Well, I guess you only have 8 guys on your roster that you're going to either let walk or hand significantly more money to next year with an estimated $18k or so in cap space before signing draft picks. All assuming you don't sign anyone else in FA the rest of the way and don't have anybody you pick up in Shark Tank or on waivers that you want to keep. Totally manageable.

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well, I guess you only have 8 guys on your roster that you're going to either let walk or hand significantly more money to next year with an estimated $18k or so in cap space before signing draft picks. All assuming you don't sign anyone else in FA the rest of the way and don't have anybody you pick up in Shark Tank or on waivers that you want to keep. Totally manageable.

I entered Free Agency this year with $78k. I opened up the offseason with well over $100M available before 3 Ups.

I think its very likely, pre 3 up next season I'm sitting on plenty of money. Every I have done thus far has been a calculated risk.

Edited by wwhickok

23 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I entered Free Agency this year with $78k. I opened up the offseason with well over $100M available before 3 Ups.

I think its very likely, pre 3 up next season I'm sitting on plenty of money. Every I have done thus far has been a calculated risk.

You're going to have $34k after the Stafford deal goes final. Cap goes down almost $16k next year and you don't have any big contracts coming off the books. Most of your really expensive players will still have 3+ years left, so you can only 3 Down one of them. You don't have a 1st round pick. You don't have a TE under contract for next year, and you only have two CBs under contract, one of which is a mid-round rookie. Color me skeptical that you're able to make the moves you want to make without trading players.

Edited by Blue

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

You're going to have $34k after the Stafford deal goes final. Cap goes down almost $16k next year and you don't have any big contracts coming off the books. Most of your really expensive players will still have 3+ years left, so you can only 3 Down one of them. You don't have a 1st round pick. You don't have a TE under contract for next year, and you only have two CBs under contract, one of which is a mid-round rookie. Color me skeptical that you're able to make the moves you want to make without trading players.

1st. I never said I wasn't open to trading players I'm just not hell bent on it either. 

The exception being, I'm not trading Derrick Henry. 

You're allowed to be skeptical and I understand why you are. Having said that, I have plenty of time to thoroughly contemplate through all options and make the best cap decisions for my team, which is all I've done to this point. Last season it worked out well for me. Yes, I didn't reach the championship but last season was a big step forward with my team and I'll continue to build on that. There will come a point where I rarely trade picks but the last couple seasons I've moved pieces around with the anticipation of future needs and cap constraints. 

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

1st. I never said I wasn't open to trading players I'm just not hell bent on it either. 

The exception being, I'm not trading Derrick Henry. 

You're allowed to be skeptical and I understand why you are. Having said that, I have plenty of time to thoroughly contemplate through all options and make the best cap decisions for my team, which is all I've done to this point. Last season it worked out well for me. Yes, I didn't reach the championship but last season was a big step forward with my team and I'll continue to build on that. There will come a point where I rarely trade picks but the last couple seasons I've moved pieces around with the anticipation of future needs and cap constraints. 

If you're not trading Derrick Henry, it's only because A) you intend to 3 Down Alvin Kamara or B) you can't find any takers.