BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

There's some areas where I am flexible. I get where you're coming from, I understand you have this 'genius-complex' where you gotta try to prove yourself smarter than everyone else and try to tell everyone their future like some kind of psychic.

Here are some realities. You DID insinuate that I was signing Stafford to be a back up because you flat out said that's why you were signing him, in addition to being 2022 trade bait and that I was signing him for the same reasons you were.

With that you seem to think that my statement about Davis being Wilson's #1 WR was indicative of my depth chart plans. 

You've been hell bent on this idea I'm going to attempt to trade Derrick Henry. 

Now you're hell bent that I'm gonna 3D Kamara?

Let me tell you something that everyone else already knows, with all due respect. 

You're not the smartest guy in the room.

100% of the above assumptions are false.

With all due respect to everyone in this league, this is not a claim of me being smarter or a better owner than anyone, but it is a fact, very few ppl this past season managed rhe cap better than I did to achieve greater success within their own team. What I mean is, I hit FA last offseason with just shy of $124k. I was coming off a very disappointing season. I more than doubled my win/loss record and entered the 2021 offsewson, still, with over $100k. Entered FA with over $75k (I wasn't the only one) 

I seem to have a pretty good grasp on what I need to do to succeed and continue to progress my team. I'll keep doing things the way I've done them because they've been working very well. I know what I'm doing and I, and I alone, know WHY I'm doing them.

You can act like I'm trying to deceive ppl or trying to lie to myself but the fact is, I haven't told anyone anything that has been false about what I'm doing in FA. Sure, for the draft I didn't come out and disclose I was going to draft Zach Wilson. Why would I? But nothing I've said since FA has started has been any form of deception at all what so ever.

Sure, injuries, actual productivity and cause for any lack of it factor in. Of course they do. But I'm not trading Henry. I'm not 3 Downing Alvin Kamara next off season. I'll have plenty of candidates to consider for 3Ds. He ain't one of them.

The fact is, to wrap all of this up, it's not about what I have to tell myself, its what I've BEEN telling you. I know you hate being wrong but you better get used to it because you're way off here, as you often are. Good night, that's a wrap.

*Mic Drop*

lol dude, I'm just doing basic math. You don't have a single player hitting FA next year with a salary over $3k. You have a bunch of guys going and sure, that adds up, but ERFAs on waiver claims and RFA tenders will eat that up fast. I can't see you letting Calvin Ridley hit free agency. You're going to need to slap a 1st round tender on Maxx Crosby if you want to keep him if he plays as well as he did his first two seasons. You can't possibly believe you can get Robert Tonyan or Dallas Goedert for cheaper in FA than a 3 Up would cost if either of them is any good, and you aren't going to do much better in free agency at tight end. I could keep going. You have a lot of guys that need to be resigned and not a ton of cap space for next year to do it even before the third week of free agency rolls around, when I'm pretty confident you're going to try to add more players.

So yes, you are absolutely deceiving yourself if you think you aren't going to end up making trades to clear up cap space and/or acquire picks to replace players. That's not me "thinking I'm the smartest guy in the room," it's simply looking at the contracts you're committed to for next year and the resources you have to create cap space.

29 minutes ago, Blue said:

lol dude, I'm just doing basic math. You don't have a single player hitting FA next year with a salary over $3k. You have a bunch of guys going and sure, that adds up, but ERFAs on waiver claims and RFA tenders will eat that up fast. I can't see you letting Calvin Ridley hit free agency. You're going to need to slap a 1st round tender on Maxx Crosby if you want to keep him if he plays as well as he did his first two seasons. You can't possibly believe you can get Robert Tonyan or Dallas Goedert for cheaper in FA than a 3 Up would cost if either of them is any good, and you aren't going to do much better in free agency at tight end. I could keep going. You have a lot of guys that need to be resigned and not a ton of cap space for next year to do it even before the third week of free agency rolls around, when I'm pretty confident you're going to try to add more players.

So yes, you are absolutely deceiving yourself if you think you aren't going to end up making trades to clear up cap space and/or acquire picks to replace players. That's not me "thinking I'm the smartest guy in the room," it's simply looking at the contracts you're committed to for next year and the resources you have to create cap space.

1st of all as I said before I never said I wasn't going to trade plans I said I wasn't going to trade player's I said I wasn't going to trade a Derek Henry. I'm also not going to 3 down Alvin kamara.

Sure my absolutely needs to make rough search changes next season but I anticipated that before doing anything last off season I'm playing ahead I don't wait until things hit me in the face so again I know what I'm doing

49 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

@wwhickok why shouldn't I keep bidding on Chuk?  He is gonna be the Steelers LT, correct?

It's going to be an interesting camp battle. Basically we've got Okorafor, Zach Banner, and 4th round rookie Dan Moore competing for the two OT spots. Banner beat out Okorafor last year for the LT spot before going down for the year in week 1. The other wrinkle is that with our new OC we seem to be moving towards a more zone based run blocking scheme and both Banner and Okorafor seem like less than ideal fits for that. So it's really pretty wide open.

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

It's going to be an interesting camp battle. Basically we've got Okorafor, Zach Banner, and 4th round rookie Dan Moore competing for the two OT spots. Banner beat out Okorafor last year for the LT spot before going down for the year in week 1. The other wrinkle is that with our new OC we seem to be moving towards a more zone based run blocking scheme and both Banner and Okorafor seem like less than ideal fits for that. So it's really pretty wide open.

Dan Moore in the tank it is. Thanks Racky