2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

It’s mildly shocking to see the Pats spending like this, because it’s typically not their MO. 

It may not work out for them. But it’s classic smart thinking by their organization. I’ve mentioned my favorite Buffett quote (Warren, not Jimmy) many times, about being fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. The Pats clearly recognized that based on all the circumstances, the league as a whole was going to be comparatively tentative in terms of wading into the FA market. So they obviously made a conscious decision to be comparatively hyper-aggressive, in order to take advantage of a slow market. They’ve blitzed the market, and they’re securing their guys with what seems to be almost no push-back from the rest of the league.

Which also puts them into position to sit out next year, when the rest of the league will be greedy again. You have to respect an organization with the ability to analyze the big picture, reach a conclusion, and act decisively based on that conclusion. 

• Like 1

And this is why I want the team to suck during the year. You’re hardly getting difference makers where we pick in the draft this year and it affects our pick in every round. If you aren’t going to spend to get better then you can’t go out and win a division with a one-legged QB that you don’t even bring back the following season. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And this is why I want the team to suck during the year. You’re hardly getting difference makers where we pick in the draft this year and it affects our pick in every round. If you aren’t going to spend to get better then you can’t go out and win a division with a one-legged QB that you don’t even bring back the following season. 

It’s only been 4hrs Hoss, and legally can’t sign til the start of FA, this is just negotiations 

I’m sure we have talked to a few players already and I’m sure other teams are talking to them as well right now trying to go over offers

i mean outside of Jonnu Smith how many players that have agreed to deals today are big difference makers?

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

It’s only been 4hrs Hoss, and legally can’t sign til the start of FA, this is just negotiations 

I’m sure we have talked to a few players already and I’m sure other teams are talking to them as well right now trying to go over offers

i mean outside of Jonnu Smith how many players that have agreed to deals today are big difference makers?

Matt Judon Ravens to Pats . $56 million.

I’m gonna start a riff..... I apologize to the Mods in advance!

GUYS. ITS BEEN 4 HOURS!!!! CHILL

You don’t know what we are spending and who on. I’m sure we have talked to some big names and mid tier guys, but remember.... other teams are talking too! Top players are listening to all options.

CALM DOWN!

as far as Golladay, Davis, Samuel and other WR I’m sure we have reached out to at least one and I’m sure other teams have too! Wait it out!

as far as big names so far the only one has been Jonnu Smith signing with the Pats and honestly Jonnu isn’t a BIG name. He’s good but in reality he got over paid! And Judon is also overated and got overpaid!

Edited by LoganF89

2 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I’m gonna start a riff..... I apologize to the Mods in advance!

GUYS. ITS BEEN 4 HOURS!!!! CHILL

You don’t know what we are spending and who on. I’m sure we have talked to some big names and mid tier guys, but remember.... other teams are talking too! Top players are listening to all options.

CALM DOWN!

as far as Golladay, Davis, Samuel and other WR I’m sure we have reached out to at least one and I’m sure other teams have too! Wait it out!

as far as big names so far the only one has been Jonnu Smith signing with the Pats and honestly Jonnu isn’t a BIG name. He’s good but in reality he got over paid! And Judon is also overated and got overpaid!

I get what you’re saying but this mimics exactly what happened last off-season. The only player we’re even linked to at the moment is Trubisky. That’s exactly how last off-season went and we aren’t re-signing Darby so we’ll end up going into this season with the exact same holes to fill as last season. I’m fine with not being in on Golladay but you can’t go into another season putting Terry out there by himself. We have absolutely nothing at LB beyond Holcomb. If we had sucked and got a high pick this would be different but they won a crappy division and killed their draft position in the process. Our options for filling holes is limited so we have to spend some. Rivera can’t expect what happened last off-season to happen every year. Not to mention he fired the guy who prepped all of it lol

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I get what you’re saying but this mimics exactly what happened last off-season. The only player we’re even linked to at the moment is Trubisky. That’s exactly how last off-season went and we aren’t re-signing Darby so we’ll end up going into this season with the exact same holes to fill as last season. I’m fine with not being in on Golladay but you can’t go into another season putting Terry out there by himself. We have absolutely nothing at LB beyond Holcomb. If we had sucked and got a high pick this would be different but they won a crappy division and killed their draft position in the process. Our options for filling holes is limited so we have to spend some. Rivera can’t expect what happened last off-season to happen every year. Not to mention he fired the guy who prepped all of it lol

I completely get what your saying, but at the same time while I would love to have Darby back if a team wants to offer him long term around 10 mill a year they can do it.

Needs are interchangeable. We could get a LB in FA and a CB round 1 or 2, or vice versa

also if Darby got a big deal like that we could always look to the bargain bin. Can Heyward, older but a two year deal for 7 mill a season makes sense. Or a Dunbar on a 2 year 10 mill deal.

as much as I want Darby back I’m not overpaying. He was finally healthy a whole season

8 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I completely get what your saying, but at the same time while I would love to have Darby back if a team wants to offer him long term around 10 mill a year they can do it.

Needs are interchangeable. We could get a LB in FA and a CB round 1 or 2, or vice versa

also if Darby got a big deal like that we could always look to the bargain bin. Can Heyward, older but a two year deal for 7 mill a season makes sense. Or a Dunbar on a 2 year 10 mill deal.

as much as I want Darby back I’m not overpaying. He was finally healthy a whole season

The only bad thing with that approach is you’re killing your compensation picks in the process I believe. @Wozwould know that a little better but losing Darby would amount to nothing for us and we’d be signing another player hoping they play the same way he did or better. It’s like waiting on Scherff. Now he’s going to cost us somewhere in the realm of $20M a year next year and we both know they aren’t paying that. I guess it’s all frustrating. I just want the team to improve and win. I feel like we aren’t even trying. 

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Joe Thuney to the Chiefs for 5/$80M. Hope there’s some funky math in that contract or else extending Scherff just got a lot tougher. 

From what Schefter just reported, it appears to be pretty close to legitimately $16M/year.

He’s fully guaranteed $32.5M through two years — some of that will be signing bonus, which will spread out the cap hit, but it still is getting paid to him right away and will have to be repaid when they bail — and what sounds like another $15.5M in year 3 that becomes fully guaranteed next year. That comes out to $48M paid out in the first 3 years, or $16M per. 

Scherff is a goner after the year, and so is that $18M they’re on the hook for this season. They’re not going to top that for him.