2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

20 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

And Judon is overated. Could have gotten the same performance from kerrigan for a fraction of that honestly 

He is probably a little overrated and overpaid with that deal, but he’s a much better player than 2020 Ryan Kerrigan. At this point in Kerrigan’s career, all you’re getting is some pass rush push. He’s never been able to cover a lick and he frequently seems pretty uninterested in playing the run either these days. 

Judon is one of the more well-rounded SAM players in the league. He plays more coverage than most 3-4 OLBs, so you have to adjust his pass-rush totals for the fewer opportunities he has. For a defense that relies on its LBs to give them multiple things, as NE’s (and BAL’s) do, he’s a pretty valuable player.

BAL is a LB factory, so they’ll probably come up with a way to replace most of his contribution, but they’re definitely losing more than just a pass-rusher in Judon. 

• Like 1

Corey Linsley to the Chargers for 5/$62.5M.

Lines up fairly well with the 4/$40M for Roullier. Linsley is the better player, perhaps by a significant margin, but Roullier is a couple years younger and will probably be more likely to maintain current value through the end of his deal. 

I would probably have preferred Linsley on that deal to Roullier on his, but not by a ton.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't think so.  They will get a minimum of what the cardinals got for Rosen.  

Rosen had only one year's worth of meh-to-bad tape on him, and three years of a rookie contract remaining (plus 5th year option). Darnold has the opposite: three years meh-to-bad tape, 1 year of rookie contract (plus 5th year option).

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And there goes Darby. Sigh. You guys can celebrate that we didn’t pay him while creating another hole on this roster. 

WFT couldn't afford that? #smh

The "they're going to be cheap and likely always be cheap" crowd is looking more and more correct.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And there goes Darby. Sigh. You guys can celebrate that we didn’t pay him while creating another hole on this roster. 

I mean, we’ve got Kendall Fuller coming up on FA in 3 short seasons. Are you really saying you want to jeopardize our chances of retaining him then by giving money to someone else now?? #reckless

Retaining our own players is clearly the top priority for the organization at the moment. In fact, it’s so important that we can’t even retain our own players — because that would put us at risk of not being able to retain our own players.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

The "they're going to be cheap and likely always be cheap" crowd is looking more and more correct.

And the WFT will re-sign Fred Smoot to replace him! 😂 Mistake by Washington to not beat this deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

No no no they’re just looking for a good deal. I’m glad we’re becoming the rest of the leagues farm system though. Also, watching fans call every single player we let walk away an overpay is getting hilarious.

Also, this is why I didn’t moan and whine when they tagged Scherff like everyone else did. They weren’t going to use that money and they knew it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

We can afford it...Rivera just doesn't like signing guys for more than 1 year at a time :)

This is the result of the 1 year deal.  You lose players.  You can't build culture with rentals.  That includes Scherff.  That situation actually hurts the culture because you got guys like Moses now wondering why Scherff is being paid so much more.

I want to be patient with them, but free agents are getting snatched up quick.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Retaining our own players is clearly the top priority for the organization at the moment. In fact, it’s so important that we can’t even retain our own players — because that would put us at risk of not being able to retain our own players.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

We can afford it...Rivera just doesn't like signing guys for more than 1 year at a time :)

This is the result of the 1 year deal.  You lose players.  You can't build culture with rentals.  That includes Scherff.  That situation actually hurts the culture because you got guys like Moses now wondering why Scherff is being paid so much more.

I wonder if we may find a better/younger option but I’m disappointed. He was good last year he had the most pass defensed on the team.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No no no they’re just looking for a good deal. I’m glad we’re becoming the rest of the leagues farm system though. Also, watching fans call every single player we let walk away an overpay is getting hilarious.

Also, this is why I didn’t moan and whine when they tagged Scherff like everyone else did. They weren’t going to use that money and they knew it. 

I had hoped you were wrong, but worried you were right.

when-youre-right-youre-right-and-youre-a

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The only bad thing with that approach is you’re killing your compensation picks in the process I believe. @Wozwould know that a little better but losing Darby would amount to nothing for us and we’d be signing another player hoping they play the same way he did or better. It’s like waiting on Scherff. Now he’s going to cost us somewhere in the realm of $20M a year next year and we both know they aren’t paying that. I guess it’s all frustrating. I just want the team to improve and win. I feel like we aren’t even trying. 

People put way to much into comp picks, only way you get those picks is if you don’t sign anyone to a close deal or one that cancels it out. If you signed Darby back you wouldn’t get one, if you signed an even replacement for him you wouldn’t get one so I don’t see what that matters right now.

even if you don’t replace him in free agency and you signed a decent WR that would cancel it out.

only way to get those picks is to have guys you drafted waiting and ready to play and don’t sign any FAs

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

One would hope they would learn and sign players to 2-3 year deals that are escapable quickly. But that requires them to sign players.