2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Just now, taylor made said:

Rivera absolutely crushed Free Agency last year and the guy can do nothing right in some people's eyes. The amount of negatively here is absurd. We won the division last year if I recall.

1. They "crushed" it by getting cheap pieces and having them outperform what they paid for. They also tried that in 2017 when the signed guys like Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee. It blew up on them then, it paid off now. It's a risky strategy.
  2. When you hit on a reclamation piece, why don't you sign that piece longer term? No, that doesn't mean break the bank, but 3y/$30M shouldn't have been unreasonable for retaining Darby's services. They apparently tried to lowball him again, and it backfired.
  3. The original plan was to build internally, so selecting cheap one year pieces made a bit of sense when they were planning for building for years 2 and 3. Five games into last season they decided to push all their chips in and make a play for the division. One would hope that the plan would have been adjusted accordingly. Apparently not.
  4. I'm not negative just to be negative. I think the team is further along than we had any reason to expect it to be this time last year. At the same time, there are still holes on the roster that were evident last year (WR opposite McLaurin and LB corps (MLB in particular) being the two big non-QB ones (which wasn't likely going to be addressed)). Adding another hole by letting Darby walk is somewhat silly.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

Sorry he a Jet now

Yeah, saw your post as soon as I posted my comment, hence:

1 minute ago, Woz said:
4 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Another target gone

SONUVA.... stupid forum refresh ...

6 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I think y’all are overhyping Darby. He’s been hurt like crazy throughout his whole career. Never turns his head around to make plays on the ball. I’m an FSU fan and when he played for us, he was the same way. Remember this year when Cooper burnt him for the long TD on the go route? He had good coverage but never turned his head around or made a play on the ball and Cooper catches it and just keeps running. 
I am not saying he is bad. But he can be replaced for cheaper. Y’all reading too much into his PFF grade. 

I agree. He was always injured except for last (contract) season. He got his payday, good for him. We got a productive season, good for us. Was he ever going to be a long term answer? No. On to the next one. 

I wanted Davis. Damn. Don’t want to pay 20mil a year for Golladay.

Doubt any of the remaining big time receivers would want to come here because the QB question is not answered. Davis signing with the Jets tells me their going to stick with Darnold. Double whammy 

• Like 1