2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We haven’t won the off-season in like 11 years dude. Now we either overpay a scrub or sign nobody. We went from one extreme to the other. There’s no real plan. 

Amen to that. We're sitting on the like the 4th or 5th most cap space and for some reason we're not spending it. And I have zero understanding as to why.

34 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Apologies if this has been covered  but KPL. Signed cheap enough - why did we let him walk. He played fairly well I thought .

The only reason I can think of is they have their eye on another similar player and didn’t want to match that offer when they are hoping/planning to bring aboard someone who will effectively replace him. 

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Amen to that. We're sitting on the like the 4th or 5th most cap space and for some reason we're not spending it. And I have zero understanding as to why.

Well, all I've read is they are keeping it to resign our own when they come up for new contracts. 

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The only reason I can think of is they have their eye on another similar player and didn’t want to match that offer when they are hoping/planning to bring aboard someone who will effectively replace him. 

Which better happen soon. We have the 5th most cap space. The Pats only have $10m more than us and are backing up Brink's trucks at each FA's front door.

10 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Well, all I've read is they are keeping it to resign our own when they come up for new contracts. 

Okay. And I like that approach. But the salary cap is going to jump significantly next year. And we have $37m in space now. We can go get a high priced FA or two and still start to resign our own guys.

Next year, we're projected to have $88m in cap space (5th most again) if we do nothing right now. We can sign some guys in FA this year.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, because we’re in the middle of a rebuild, silly. Such teams build slowly and are selective in free agency, making strategic additions to bolster the long-term core and passing on short-term fixes. That’s what we’re about right now.

...just don’t look over there, at the 39-year-old QB we just gave $10-12M on a one-year deal. Or at our star RG, who we can’t commit to signing long-term or trading, so we just dumped $18M on him on a one-year deal.

• Like 2

• Patriots signed TE Hunter Henry, formerly of the Chargers, to a three-year, $37.5 million contract. 

Henry's deal includes $25 million guaranteed. The Patriots have now landed both of free agency's top tight ends in Henry and Jonnu Smith, who on Monday signed a four-year, $50 million deal with New England ($31.25 million guaranteed). There will be loose talk of the Patriots trying to revive the team's Rob Gronkowski-Aaron Hernandez offense from years ago. There is a slight difference, however, between career prime Tom Brady and late-career Cam Newton. Barring a total overhaul of New England's run-heavy, Cam-led offense, the Henry signing all but ensures neither tight end will be a startable fantasy option in 12-team leagues this season. Henry departing LA leaves Donald Parham -- he of much fantasy football intrigue -- as the favorite to start at tight end in Justin Herbert's offense. 

Mar 16, 2021, 10:03 AM ET

•  

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Well, because we’re in the middle of a rebuild, silly. Such teams build slowly and are selective in free agency, making strategic additions to bolster the long-term core and passing on short-term fixes. That’s what we’re about right now.

...just don’t look over there, at the 39-year-old QB we just gave $10-12M on a one-year deal. Or at our star RG, who we can’t commit to signing long-term or trading, so we just dumped $18M on him on a one-year deal.

Yeah. It's like two different people are trying to drive the car at the same time. 

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. It's like two different people are trying to drive the car at the same time. 

This is what you always get when you let the coach drive the car.

He’s torn between the long-term vision he has while he’s wearing his GM hat and the desire to win every game right now that he has while he’s wearing his HC hat. They don’t mesh. It’s causing him to try to keep a foot in both camps — “win now” and “build slow” — and you just can’t do that in the NFL.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, noptov52 said:

Uhh, Fitz has never hit four thousand yards in his career.  He came close in 2015 (3,905) and might have made it, except he turned FitzTragic.  Imploded in the final game and the Jets missed the playoffs as a result.

He might make a WR a bit more likely to sign, but I don't think he moves the needle all that much.

True - might have been a little overzealous.  Was thinking more that he seems to throw for ~250 yds a lot and is usually good for a couple of very high production games.  He had almost 2100 in 7 starts (+2 partial games) last year before Tua came in.   I would assume FA's will be more comfortable, though apparently not as of now, with him there than just allen/Heinicke, though i do hope Heinecke gets to play.  Mostly excited that it makes us not have to reach/trade draft picks and gives us ability to sign some of our own guys.