2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The draft thing has to stop. We can’t keep acting like we can fill all these holes in the draft lol. 

I'm one of the biggest proponents of building through the draft, too. And I agree with you here. We need to be filling 3-4 holes this FA period with young guys on multi-year contracts. The fact that we're not really doing that even with the 5th most cap space is mind-boggling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Amen to that. We're sitting on the like the 4th or 5th most cap space and for some reason we're not spending it. And I have zero understanding as to why.

I think they have a plan, it’s to target certain free agents who are good players but not too overpay on contracts that may end up being bust FAs which will put us in salary cap hell if they don’t work out and then we’ll struggle to re-sign our own guys in the future. Instead they’ll sign good FAs who don’t break the bank and have upside. 

I’m fine with it as long as Scotty/Rivera & DelRio can coach those FAs up and they fit our offensive and defensive scheme like last year.

Then obviously mostly build through the draft.

I mean we could go back to the days of signing the best FA on the market like 09 & before. I didn’t like that either.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm one of the biggest proponents of building through the draft, too. And I agree with you here. We need to be filling 3-4 holes this FA period with young guys on multi-year contracts. The fact that we're not really doing that even with the 5th most cap space is mind-boggling.

The bad thing is we’ve created two holes on the defense in the process. KPL was pretty solid and Darby was pretty damn good for us. Now we have to replace both. I’m also not believing the BS about hoarding all this money to sign our own when they’ve basically proven they won’t do that either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The bad thing is we’ve created two holes on the defense in the process. KPL was pretty solid and Darby was pretty damn good for us. Now we have to replace both. I’m also not believing the BS about hoarding all this money to sign our own when they’ve basically proven they won’t do that either. 

I mean, the cap is going way up next year. We'll have the money to re-sign our guys. And we just let Darby go. He wasn't "our guy"? He could've "resigned".

I mean, the cap is going way up next year. We'll have the money to re-sign our guys. And we just let Darby go. He wasn't "our guy"? He could've "resigned".

They had the money to re-sign Scherff this year and couldn’t do it. They’ve shown me nothing to believe they have a plan. And adding a 39-year old QB to the mix is just silly. The whole thing wreaks of no direction. At least last free agency we knew we were getting Chase Young. There’s no guarantee we’ll get a difference maker this season at pick 19. 

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think they have a plan, it’s to target certain free agents who are good players but not too overpay on contracts that may end up being bust FAs which will put us in salary cap hell if they don’t work out and then we’ll struggle to re-sign our own guys in the future. Instead they’ll sign good FAs who don’t break the bank and have upside. 

I’m fine with it as long as Scotty/Rivera & DelRio can coach those FAs up and they fit our offensive and defensive scheme like last year.

Then obviously mostly build through the draft.

I mean we could go back to the days of signing the best FA on the market like 09 & before. I didn’t like that either.

It's not an either/or thing Turtle. No one is asking to go back to the Haynesworth days. But we're also not naive enough to expect that the strategy from last offseason is going to work each year. Both extremes can be rewarding. They also can run you into a ditch.

When quality FAs are available because their team didn't have cap space to keep them, and you're sitting on the 5th most cap space and will be 5th again next year (2022), then it's okay to open the wallet a bit. A couple million AAV more for some of these contracts in order to land the guy, is not going to kill us since we've already been underspending for a decade. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Those are holes we can replace & we may be able to replace them in house & definitely through the draft.

At corner we all know that Moreland is a better fit on the outside and they could bring back Moreau for competition there plus they can sign someone else and obviously draft someone too.

At Lb we’ve all clamored all offseason how it’s be nice to being back KPL but regardless of that he should be upgraded via FA or preferably the draft. On top of that I liked what I saw out of Hudson last December and you did too plus, they may be thinking of what I’ve been taking about for two years and moving Landon Collins to WLB which would be a good move. Lastly, JHC will be back also for competition at OLB. We have guys there, we can sign someone else who’s younger and better and we can & should draft a LB or two.

Edited by turtle28

It's not an either/or thing Turtle. No one is asking to go back to the Haynesworth days. But we're also not naive enough to expect that the strategy from last offseason is going to work each year. Both extremes can be rewarding. They also can run you into a ditch.

When quality FAs are available because their team didn't have cap space to keep them, and you're sitting on the 5th most cap space and will be 5th again next year (2022), then it's okay to open the wallet a bit. A couple million AAV more for some of these contracts in order to land the guy, is not going to kill us since we've already been underspending for a decade. 

It’s not even the first day of real free agency yet. And we certainly haven’t made every move we’re going to make. Let’s see how it pans out and if it pans out like last year I’ll certainly be disappointed but I’ll also hope for the best and that the FAs we sign - like Last year - and a few of the draft picks we draft become starters.

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They had the money to re-sign Scherff this year and couldn’t do it. They’ve shown me nothing to believe they have a plan. And adding a 39-year old QB to the mix is just silly. The whole thing wreaks of no direction. At least last free agency we knew we were getting Chase Young. There’s no guarantee we’ll get a difference maker this season at pick 19. 

I'm of two minds on Scherff. I want to pay him and I also don't want to pay him. It depends on the day you ask me. So with that in mind, I guess I'm okay with the tag to keep him one more year and say goodbye next season (or sign him to a LTD when the cap goes up. However that is unlikely as he will hit FA in 2022).

I knew they were going to add a veteran QB. Fitz just harms us the least long-term IMHO (yes, I know you disagree) and the contract doesn't kill us.

As for difference maker, it's why I'm leaning more and more to trading down or out of the 1st round. Stock up the 2022 1st rounder from a team eager to get back into the 1st and add another 2021 pick to use this year and go that route.

Just now, turtle28 said:

It’s not even the first day of real free agency yet. And we certainly haven’t made every move we’re going to make. Let’s see how it pans out and if it pans out like last year I’ll certainly be disappointed but I’ll also hope for the best and that the FAs we sign - like Last year - and a few of the draft picks we draft become starters.

Technically? No. But realistically it is. The contracts are being agreed to and all that is missing is the signatures.

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The draft thing has to stop. We can’t keep acting like we can fill all these holes in the draft lol. 

Not all, but definitely some. There is also still a ton of free agents out there. If we don’t sign a big name corner but draft one of the top 3, then we would be fine. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly hoping we sign some guys at position of need. I’m just not freaking out, there’s really only been one guy signed so far that was a little crushing to me and that’s Corey Davis.