Week 19 - GDT - Divisional round - Buccaneers (12-5) @ Saints (13-4)

Mid Iowa

What a good ride it was. I've been a Saints fan for a long time and I remember the awful before all of this. It's been nice to be respected and feared, even if it only ended well for us one time. I'm sure gonna miss Drew being back there, but I'm really glad we got to have a Drew Brees era at all. See you folks next year!

Well for the last time in the Brees Era. God what a awful feeling.

As much as I hate to say it, offense lost us this game. We had two issues I thought. We lost the turnover battle and we lost in the trenches. Props to the Bucs they beat us soundly.

I never want to see Jared freaking Cook in a Saints uniform ever again. His fumble has cost us this game. It was a gut punch and the momentum we never got back. D did what it could but with a Bucs team with that many weapons, you can only hold them off for so long.

It's a crap way to end the era for the most important player in this franchises history, but it is what it is. This team will be vastly different next season, so thank you for the ride, good and bad, Drew Brees. It's been a pleasure watching your career.

Didn't want to post during the game and let my emotions allow me to type something I'd regret.

Ive been harping for years that Brees lack of ability to push the ball downfield always rears its ugly head in the playoffs but hes always had something controversial happen in the game over the last few seasons that took the spotlight off his inability and poor play.

Thats not the case this year...

Their is no, no call, no Minneapolis miracle or whatever else. This was obvious, it was clear and it was sad to watch.

The Saints built a championship team around Drew 4 years to late.

Still, having said that I am so happy to call Drew Brees my quarterback. He changed this organization and city for the better so much beyond the field. He'll forever be the best Saint to ever lace'em up in my opinion but its time to move on.

This season is still a failure in my opinion but thats because of the standord Drew Brees has set here and I think ALL fans should Apprechiate him for that.

Also I'll add this. Taking away the emotional aspect of the game, we've lost now twice in a row at home as favorites. Brees retiring is one thing, but I think this is an opportunity to completely revamp the roster. Not only due to cap but performance. I don't care what they do in the regular season if this group can't get it done in the playoffs.

Let's not forget, Brees was a perfect 8 for 8 for a TD and a 2 point conversion on the most important drive in franchise history, the drive that put us ahead in the fourth quarter of the superbowl.  For all his faults and his age rearing it's ugly head, he got us a ring folks. 

He led one of the greatest offenses in NFL history for a decade, as were always in the top 3-5 if not straight up number one some years by every important metric. 

It's been a good ride, disappointed we lost, but it's been a good 15 years.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Also I'll add this. Taking away the emotional aspect of the game, we've lost now twice in a row at home as favorites. Brees retiring is one thing, but I think this is an opportunity to completely revamp the roster. Not only due to cap but performance. I don't care what they do in the regular season if this group can't get it done in the playoffs.

Chiefs, Bills, Packers and Bucs still in the show...

Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers and Brady...

Arguably the top 3 arm talents in the NFL along with the GOAT...

3 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Brees played like crap, but there was also plenty of blame to go around.  We couldn't punish Brady, there was miscommunication between BRees and receivers, penalties that destroyed us, Cook being Cook.  Let's face the facts, this just wasn't a superbowl team if they're gonna play like that in the postseason.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Brees played like crap, but there was also plenty of blame to go around.  We couldn't punish Brady, there was miscommunication between BRees and receivers, penalties that destroyed us, Cook being Cook.  Let's face the facts, this just wasn't a superbowl team if they're gonna play like that in the postseason.

You don't have to tell me twice. D faded down the stretch and it wasn't the same as the dominant period before. Cook sucks. Our O-line couldn't open up holes consistently. Cook absolutely blows. Anzalone was bullied this season. Jenkins was targetted by TEs. Our coverage in the secondary was very much hit or miss (if we're being honest). Then with the chips were on the table, the pass rush couldn't get it done.

If I'm Loomis/Payton, I take the Brees retiring/cap excuse and really change this roster. I don't think it's good enough for a superbowl. We've had plenty of chances.

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Chiefs, Bills, Packers and Bucs still in the show...

Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers and Brady...

Arguably the top 3 arm talents in the NFL along with the GOAT...

Oh absolutely. Minnesota beat us in the playoffs due to Brees' arm strength, and Bucs dared him to go deep this game and it didn't pan out.

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

True but come on... Giving Brees an out there. His lack of downfield ability is what allows all the defenses we have played the last 4 years in the playoffs to congest the middle of the field.

Added to that the refs always get tight with flags in the playoffs and allow players to play.

I love Brees just like all yall on here but he has been the weak link in the playoffs the last 3 years and its not blasphemy to point it out. Its been the same story for years now.

Thanks for the memories Drew, enjoy the booth and your the best but im sick of seeing you cost a championship roster in playoff games.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

True but come on... Giving Brees an out there. His lack of downfield ability is what allows all the defenses we have played the last 4 years in the playoffs to congest the middle of the field.

Added to that the refs always get tight with flags in the playoffs and allow players to play.

I love Brees just like all yall on here but he has been the weak link in the playoffs the last 3 years and its not blasphemy to point it out. Its been the same story for years now.

Thanks for the memories Drew, enjoy the booth and your the best but im sick of seeing you cost a championship roster in playoff games.

Not giving him a pass, he played like crap.  The Bucs played an excellent game defensively though, and blew the opportunities we had.  The GOAT could have gotten picked off 3 or 4 times but we dropped them.  We blew all of our major game changing opportunities, and Brees was certainly a part of that.