Lions signed Brad Holmes as new gm

flyguy1609

12 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Graham, was gone before Campbell got there.  Watson and cook were established veterans.  Tayson Hill is a QB?  Sort of.  Maybe as AHC he was involved in more but honestly i don't see anything in the 6 years that's tangible other than being a ra-ra guy.  maybe that's enough but this just seems like the same mistakes we've made in the past.  I sort of get Marinelli vibes.  

He's worked with Parcells and Payton directly. Those are good coaches to groom you. It's weird, even though he's a TE and TE coach, his philosophy is old school Run game + Defense. He's not a rah-rah guy but he is a coach players get behind. Drew Brees has spoken very kindly of him. I'm interested in what he thinks of keeping Stafford/developing a QB but his DC hire. Will be interesting. 

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He's worked with Parcells and Payton directly. Those are good coaches to groom you. It's weird, even though he's a TE and TE coach, his philosophy is old school Run game + Defense. He's not a rah-rah guy but he is a coach players get behind. Drew Brees has spoken very kindly of him. I'm interested in what he thinks of keeping Stafford/developing a QB but his DC hire. Will be interesting. 

We haven't had a competent run game in 20 years and we have the leagues (and our franchises) worst defense...yikes.

Look I'm hoping I'm wrong but usually how this goes is guys like me B*tch about these hires (or draft picks) then once he's our guy we start to try and believe that possibly we are wrong then we buy into it, but deep down we know it's a mistake.  Then 3-4 years later it turns out it was a mistake and we start over and make the same bad hires and same bad draft picks.  Rinse and repeat.  It's cognitive dissonance.  I'm so tired of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

We haven't had a competent run game in 20 years and we have the leagues (and our franchises) worst defense...yikes.

And we've targeted a guy who excels at drafting, and has built one of the leagues top defenses, to be our next GM. And reportedly, our top HC candidate is a run + D guy who assisted in building a top defense and drafted Alvin Kamara. 

Brad Holmes (LA Rams)- top 5 defense, top 10 run game.

Dan Campbell (NO Saints)- top 5 defense, top 10 run game. 

Detroit Lions- Historically worst defense, no run game in almost 30 years. 

You can see what the Lions are focusing on this offseason. And I approve of that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

And we've targeted a guy who excels at drafting, and has built one of the leagues top defenses, to be our next GM. And reportedly, our top HC candidate is a run + D guy who assisted in building a top defense and drafted Alvin Kamara. 

You can see what the Lions are focusing on this offseason. And I approve of that. 

What does Campbell have to do with that?

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I  must have missed it, how has Campbell been involved in drafting Kamara.  Building a defense or being the run game coordinator.  I'm not being sarcastic.  Honestly if he had a hand in these things other than a title of assistant head coach i didn't read anything about this.

Just now, Millenhater said:

I  must have missed it, how has Campbell been involved in drafting Kamara.  Building a defense or being the run game coordinator.  I'm not being sarcastic.  Honestly if he had a hand in these things other than a title of assistant head coach i didn't read anything about this.

More than just a title. He's active in the drafting process with Sean Payton. He's discussed his philosphy on have a QB that manages the game while relying on run game plus defense. He's done so with both Miami and New Orleans. There are interviews, video and printed, out there. 

For the Holmes hire, I'm like many others, pretty on the fence. He wasn't close to my first choice and he wasn't particularly close to my last choice. The past few drafts seem to have gotten better a bit with analytics, but hope he breaks some bad habits the Rams appeared to have in his earlier tenure there.

More than just a title. He's active in the drafting process with Sean Payton. He's discussed his philosphy on have a QB that manages the game while relying on run game plus defense. He's done so with both Miami and New Orleans. There are interviews, video and printed, out there. 

"It's about running the football.  Your QB makes smart decisions.  You don't win or lose with the QB.  Those are the games you're winning because of your defense and you've got time of possession with the run game."

In other words Campbell is completely inept as a tactician and has no sense of innovation.  That sounds like some other moron that drove our team into the ground named Patricia.  And this other idiot named Marinelli.  These are antiquated thoughts about football that have been proven to be untrue.  Obviously you need to have a defense that's not the worst in the league as the lions did but this to me screams a lack of modern football IQ.

He may be a leader that his players love him and that is very important but if all you preach is "pound the rock" you're destined for failure.  The successful coaches in the NFL aren't just great leaders they are also innovators.  Dan Campbell doesn't strike me as a coach on the cutting edge.  No one other than the lions have offered him a head coaching job let a lone a coordinator position.  That should tell you something.

2 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

"It's about running the football.  Your QB makes smart decisions.  You don't win or lose with the QB.  Those are the games you're winning because of your defense and you've got time of possession with the run game."

In other words Campbell is completely inept as a tactician and has no sense of innovation.  That sounds like some other moron that drove our team into the ground named Patricia.  And this other idiot named Marinelli.  These are antiquated thoughts about football that have been proven to be untrue.  Obviously you need to have a defense that's not the worst in the league as the lions did but this to me screams a lack of modern football IQ.

He may be a leader that his players love him and that is very important but if all you preach is "pound the rock" you're destined for failure.  The successful coaches in the NFL aren't just great leaders they are also innovators.  Dan Campbell doesn't strike me as a coach on the cutting edge.  No one other than the lions have offered him a head coaching job let a lone a coordinator position.  That should tell you something.

The top teams in the league have great defenses and very good run games. How is that antiquated? 

Why would DC need a coordinator job when he's the assistant head coach? He's been groomed since Miami to be a head coach, not a coordinator. There are very big job responsibilities for each. I feel like people are caught up in the "TE coach" bin and ignoring his HC experience and capabilities. 

I know you don't like the guy, for numerous reasons, but I feel like you are reaching with some of these posts. 

The top teams in the league have great defenses and very good run games. How is that antiquated? 

Why would DC need a coordinator job when he's the assistant head coach? He's been groomed since Miami to be a head coach, not a coordinator. There are very big job responsibilities for each. I feel like people are caught up in the "TE coach" bin and ignoring his HC experience and capabilities. 

I know you don't like the guy, for numerous reasons, but I feel like you are reaching with some of these posts. 

I agree. I like the fact that he doesn’t call plays. I like that Dan O says he has a lot of contacts around the league to be coordinators. I just really like the personality and leadership traits that Campbell has.

• Like 1

The antiquated part is about the QB.  I think the QB has far more to do with winning and losing football games than anything else.  It's why teams reach on them all the time.  I like Dan Campbell.  I would like to see him get a chance.  i just don't want to be the team to take the risk.  He seems like a leader of men and that is the most important part.  But he doesn't strike me as someone that brings anything special to position.  Caldwell is a great leader of men but he doesn't bring anything special either.  I think this last regime just made me too spiteful that I just don't trust them to get it right.

• Like 1

Just now, BZski said:

I agree. I like the fact that he doesn’t call plays. I like that Dan O says he has a lot of contacts around the league to be coordinators. I just really like the personality and leadership traits that Campbell has.

He wasn't my top guy, but he surely is as qualified as everyone else and I can see why the Lions targeted him.

Just now, Millenhater said:

The antiquated part is about the QB.  I think the QB has far more to do with winning and losing football games than anything else.  It's why teams reach on them all the time.  I like Dan Campbell.  I would like to see him get a chance.  i just don't want to be the team to take the risk.  He seems like a leader of men and that is the most important part.  But he doesn't strike me as someone that brings anything special to position.  Caldwell is a great leader of men but he doesn't bring anything special either.  I think this last regime just made me too spiteful that I just don't trust them to get it right.

I agreed to a point. But IMO, there were no slam dunk, proven, sure fire HC candidates available. I'd rather take a chance on someone younger and "new" to the position than another retread. 

2 minutes ago, BZski said:

I will say I do like this about him.  One of the best traits for a HC is to be authentic, he definitely is.  

Also if he has connections and can hire a killer staff that will go a long way in changing my view of him.

• Like 1