Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

19 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Dude, that's awesome! I've had a couple run ins with Ravens players/coaches, but not Ed Reed, and he's is similarly my main fan inspiration.  

GF and I were searching for Ed Reed all weekend and the agent who my GF knows said Ed was going to be at the party on Saturday but he literally didn't show up until like 30 minutes until it was over, and we just happened to be walking out when he was walking in. So freaking cool meeting him, but Kyle was the highlight of my weekend. Dude lit up when my GF told him he was my favorite player and immediately asked if I wanted a picture and talked for a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the new league cap increase, if I’m the Ravens I add Saquan Barkley to our backfield as our free agent acquisition.

I understand that you can get good to quality backs in FA and through the draft. However I still believe Barkley was the best RB in a draft class that had Nick Chubb and I still feel he was better than Jonathan Taylor.

We know Barkley has game breaking speed, he doesn’t have a ton of tread on his tires, and he’s great as a receiving and pass blocking back.

I don’t think we will have the funds to add a true difference maker at WR, but yet the offense needs more juice to get over the hump. RB might not be as valuable as other positions, however I think an elite RB that can do it all that is in the peak of their powers is indeed more valuable than a second and third tier WR option.

Saquan Barkley should sign for a Jonathan Taylor type deal and if so, that places both of them as being less “cap valuable” than OBJ and Nuk and I don’t think that’s the reality of who is most valuable on the football field.

I think you get a receiver on day two of the draft with some potential that you develop as Bateman’s replacement, you beef up the OL, and you do as much as you can to retain the defensive pieces as you can on a budget… and force teams to have to choose between Barkley and Lamar as rushing threats.

We could see Saquan Barkley hit 1500 yds rushing with 6.0 YPC with guys like Hill and Mitchell chipping in. Barkley is the obvious 3rd down back so 2000 YFS could be a reality. Use more 12 personnel with Likely as a slot and Andrews as your traditional TE. Go heavy with Ricard as the blocking TE.

Yet you have enough options between Zay, Bateman, Aghalor, and rookie WR to be viable with our WRs if we need to be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Considering the new league cap increase, if I’m the Ravens I add Saquan Barkley to our backfield as our free agent acquisition.

I understand that you can get good to quality backs in FA and through the draft. However I still believe Barkley was the best RB in a draft class that had Nick Chubb and I still feel he was better than Jonathan Taylor.

We know Barkley has game breaking speed, he doesn’t have a ton of tread on his tires, and he’s great as a receiving and pass blocking back.

I don’t think we will have the funds to add a true difference maker at WR, but yet the offense needs more juice to get over the hump. RB might not be as valuable as other positions, however I think an elite RB that can do it all that is in the peak of their powers is indeed more valuable than a second and third tier WR option.

Saquan Barkley should sign for a Jonathan Taylor type deal and if so, that places both of them as being less “cap valuable” than OBJ and Nuk and I don’t think that’s the reality of who is most valuable on the football field.

I think you get a receiver on day two of the draft with some potential that you develop as Bateman’s replacement, you beef up the OL, and you do as much as you can to retain the defensive pieces as you can on a budget… and force teams to have to choose between Barkley and Lamar as rushing threats.

We could see Saquan Barkley hit 1500 yds rushing with 6.0 YPC with guys like Hill and Mitchell chipping in. Barkley is the obvious 3rd down back so 2000 YFS could be a reality. Use more 12 personnel with Likely as a slot and Andrews as your traditional TE. Go heavy with Ricard as the blocking TE.

Yet you have enough options between Zay, Bateman, Aghalor, and rookie WR to be viable with our WRs if we need to be.

Yeah I'm of the opinion that I'd much rather add a Saquon or Jacobs for like 3-4mil more annually than a guy like Henry

51 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah I'm of the opinion that I'd much rather add a Saquon or Jacobs for like 3-4mil more annually than a guy like Henry

Obviously we’re in agreement over Saquon. We’re not in agreement with Jacobs vs Henry vs rookie RB though.

I’m absolutely out on Josh Jacobs, he’s not a game breaking speed option and I personally want to see Lamar combined with someone that has both power but also that breakaway speed. It’s why I was so intrigued by the pairing of Lamar and Nick Chubb way back when.

I think Henry even at his age is a more formidable threat next to Lamar than Jacobs due to his long speed.

I don’t view any of the RBs in this draft class as “special” and so therefore I’d target Barkley because he’s still got generational ability that I feel might be untapped potential that next to Lamar could be scary hours.

That said, the difference between how I view Jacobs and a Braelon Allen and Blake Corum… isn’t grand. I’d rather draft Corum in the 3rd round or Allen on day 2-3 than sign Jacobs for $8-10m.

With Henry if he’s willing to be signed for $6-8m, then I think that’s very attractive and I’d strongly consider him.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Also I should probably say that I’m not entirely out on JK Dobbins. If we can’t obtain Barkley or Henry, I wouldn’t be entirely against the Ravens resigning Dobbins at a reasonable figure.

Something like a 2 year, $7m deal.

I'm with you on shooting for Barkley, but I think we need to let Dobbins go. Mitchell is the designated "watch out if this guy gets/stays healthy" guy on the roster now. We need a reliable day 1 starter and a Gus/Hill tier backup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Josh Jacobs is so weird to me man. Like all he does is produce but nobody, not even his own team thinks he's any good lol

IIRC, Jacobs actually got treated better than Barkley in terms of a bump over the franchise tag last year.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Obviously we’re in agreement over Saquon. We’re not in agreement with Jacobs vs Henry vs rookie RB though.

I’m absolutely out on Josh Jacobs, he’s not a game breaking speed option and I personally want to see Lamar combined with someone that has both power but also that breakaway speed. It’s why I was so intrigued by the pairing of Lamar and Nick Chubb way back when.

I think Henry even at his age is a more formidable threat next to Lamar than Jacobs due to his long speed.

I don’t view any of the RBs in this draft class as “special” and so therefore I’d target Barkley because he’s still got generational ability that I feel might be untapped potential that next to Lamar could be scary hours.

That said, the difference between how I view Jacobs and a Braelon Allen and Blake Corum… isn’t grand. I’d rather draft Corum in the 3rd round or Allen on day 2-3 than sign Jacobs for $8-10m.

With Henry if he’s willing to be signed for $6-8m, then I think that’s very attractive and I’d strongly consider him.

Yeah I think it just comes down to a disagreement on Henry’s ability moving forward. I didn’t see anything out of Henry last year whatsoever to suggest he has any sort of long speed or juice remaining. Going back to college now he has a metric shi ton of touches and I think he’s done. Jacobs last year looked pretty impressive in spots (game against the chiefs comes to mind where he ran roughshod over them when the blew a 17 point lead IIRC).

But yeah Saquon obviously the top choice for me

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well yeah he should have, he was the rushing title holder and Saquon has done like literally nothing!

Yet Saquon with Lamar and our OL could be scary hours. I’m hoping we get him for a very reasonable deal.

If not Barkley or Henry on reasonable value deals, I’ll just go for best RB available in round 3 of the draft.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

And the dream of a blue chip vet RB is dead. Barkley to Eagles and Jacobs to GB?!?

Our only hope is Derrick Henry and tbh I doubt he's taking a cheap deal after what these guys are signing for. Our best bet might be Dalvin Cook, JK Dobbins and Keaton Mitchell or something along those lines.

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Our only hope is Derrick Henry and tbh I doubt he's taking a cheap deal after what these guys are signing for. Our best bet might be Dalvin Cook, JK Dobbins and Keaton Mitchell or something along those lines.

Aaron Jones?

EDIT: Going in to the season with Dobbins and Mitchell who are made of glass would be crazy.

Edited by AngusMcFife