Hindsight 2020 Tannehill vs Brady Debate

Titans fan 617

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Tom Brady is also the best QB of all time and having that player inevitably helps hide some weaknesses, even if it’s just a little bit 

He plays on an offense that is tailor made for his skill set with arguably zero personnel weaknesses. Can he cover them? Probably. But the last time I saw him play with even the slightest hint of personnel adversity he scored 13 points at home in a playoff loss against an average defense.

Just now, titans0021 said:

He plays on an offense that is tailor made for his skill set with arguably zero personnel weaknesses. Can he cover them? Probably. But the last time I saw him play with even the slightest hint of personnel adversity he scored 13 points at home in a playoff loss against an average defense.

And he still played better than Ryan has the past 5 weeks

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

And he still played better than Ryan has the past 5 weeks

In more favorable QB circumstances, yes he did. 

I truly wonder if you guys appreciate how miserable of a situation we’ve put Tannehill in. Watch other NFL offenses. And then watch us. Hell, watch Brady just stand tall in a clean pocket with only five blocking. Watch other receivers make contested catches for their QB. Or, god forbid, break a tackle and get yards after the catch.

The turnovers are unacceptable. The rest of it? He’s getting smoked on a third down and delivering a perfect ball to Firkser who hands the ball away. He’s getting that deep ball out in the face of pressure and it’s dropped. He’s making a potential game-winning throw on 4th and medium and his receiver runs the route short and can’t fight for a foot and a half.

There are a small handful of QBs that could make this a functioning offense. If we can go get one of them, great. But the second best QB with the potential to be available is currently 5-8 and averaging fewer PPG than we are with DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. And an OL that grades out better than ours as pass blockers.

In more favorable QB circumstances, yes he did. 

I truly wonder if you guys appreciate how miserable of a situation we’ve put Tannehill in. Watch other NFL offenses. And then watch us. Hell, watch Brady just stand tall in a clean pocket with only five blocking. Watch other receivers make contested catches for their QB. Or, god forbid, break a tackle and get yards after the catch.

The turnovers are unacceptable. The rest of it? He’s getting smoked on a third down and delivering a perfect ball to Firkser who hands the ball away. He’s getting that deep ball out in the face of pressure and it’s dropped. He’s making a potential game-winning throw on 4th and medium and his receiver runs the route short and can’t fight for a foot and a half.

There are a small handful of QBs that could make this a functioning offense. If we can go get one of them, great. But the second best QB with the potential to be available is currently 5-8 and averaging fewer PPG than we are with DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. And an OL that grades out better than ours as pass blockers.

Nobody is saying that Ryan isn’t in a hard position. Nobody is saying that this wouldn’t be a difficult situation for anyone to manage.

but if we had an actual opportunity to get Brady last year and we chose Tanny instead, we made a mistake.

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

Nobody is saying that Ryan isn’t in a hard position. Nobody is saying that this wouldn’t be a difficult situation for anyone to manage.

but if we had an actual opportunity to get Brady last year and we chose Tanny instead, we made a mistake.

In hindsight, sure. At the time, nah. It was an easy decision to choose the QB that just played at an elite level in our system and took us to the AFC championship game for the first time in 15 years.

Lol. And there’s Evans bailing out Brady on a bad throw behind him to extend the drive. 

In hindsight, sure. At the time, nah. It was an easy decision to choose the QB that just played at an elite level in our system and took us to the AFC championship game for the first time in 15 years.

Lol. And there’s Evans bailing out Brady on a bad throw behind him to extend the drive. 

At the time, yah. 

Because Tom Brady is and was the greatest quarterback of all time. 

You say that everyone understands that he’s in a hard position. But I’m not sure you guys actually appreciate the situation.

D’Onta Foreman, Hilliard, McNichols, Nick Westbrook, Chester Rogers, Racey McMath, Cody Hollister, Anthony Firkser, Geoff Swaim, MyCole Pruitt, Aaron Brewer, Nate Davis and David Quessenberry.

Truly take a minute to read that list. Appreciate that list. That list represents 624 snaps today. 624. This isn’t a oof, not great list. Or a bad supporting cast This is a list of players that I think you could argue would not see the field for literally any other team in football. Most of them don’t even belong in the NFL (as evidenced by how many of them were FA’s in August and September).

Teams don’t win with this level of talent. They just don’t. How many skill position players would you choose from that Texans/Jags game over every single player listed above? Because I got to 8 without even a hesitation. 

We’ve left our QB helpless. And he hasn’t been able to elevate garbage. There is no comparison with other QBs because no other team has gotten as late into a season with our record and fielded this little talent across the board on offense.

• Like 1

All of the below things can be true as individual, exclusive points. And are true. 

-the titans are playing a lot of PS-level talent 

-it’s extremely difficult to win in the NFL without your most talented players 

-Ryan Tannehill is a good QB when surrounded by a lot of talent 

-Ryan Tannehill has been unable to elevate his play even in the slightest since Henry got hurt 

-Ryan Tannehill has played a noticeably positive and impactful role in 1 of the 4 playoff games he’s played in (Balt divisional)

-Ryan Tannehill has made a lot of his own MISTAKES at a time in which the team needs him to be as smart as ever with the football. 

this is like an alternative universe of when we were defending Mariota. What is wrong with anyone saying that they think we’ve seen PEAK Tannehill and that he truly is what he is as a quarterback? That’s all anyone is saying here. 

nobody is saying anyone would/could play well in our current situation. But I personally think Tannehill is playing poor enough where I’m 99% convinced he can’t win us a super bowl (with the 1% being us being a perfectly healthy and productive team).

is that unfair given the circumstances? Maybe. Don’t care. Im a fan on an Internet forum 

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

All of the below things can be true as individual, exclusive points. And are true. 

-the titans are playing a lot of PS-level talent 

-it’s extremely difficult to win in the NFL without your most talented players 

-Ryan Tannehill is a good QB when surrounded by a lot of talent 

-Ryan Tannehill has been unable to elevate his play even in the slightest since Henry got hurt 

-Ryan Tannehill has played a noticeably positive and impactful role in 1 of the 4 playoff games he’s played in (Balt divisional)

-Ryan Tannehill has made a lot of his own MISTAKES at a time in which the team needs him to be as smart as ever with the football. 

this is like an alternative universe of when we were defending Mariota. What is wrong with anyone saying that they think we’ve seen PEAK Tannehill and that he truly is what he is as a quarterback? That’s all anyone is saying here. 

nobody is saying anyone would/could play well in our current situation. But I personally think Tannehill is playing poor enough where I’m 99% convinced he can’t win us a super bowl (with the 1% being us being a perfectly healthy and productive team).

is that unfair given the circumstances? Maybe. Don’t care. Im a fan on an Internet forum 

this is literally all fine and true and nobody's even denying it, it's just hilarious to think that brady would be tearing it up with the guys we're fielding

I’m not really arguing any of the above. 

Tannehill isn’t a top 5 QB. We’d be better if we had a top 5 QB. 

This year, we’d certainly be better with Brady. But the offense would still be bad, because Brady isn’t elevating this garbage either. He just wouldn’t turn it over at the same rate, which would obviously be valuable (though he honestly commits probably both turnovers RT had today).

Maybe it takes perfect circumstances to win a SB with Tannehill, but I guess it depends on the definition of those circumstances. Is it essentially what TB has given Brady? Because his circumstances are better than anything Tannehill has had here. And Tannehill’s level of play in 2019/20 paired with those receivers, that line and that defense wins a SB.

10 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is literally all fine and true and nobody's even denying it, it's just hilarious to think that brady would be tearing it up with the guys we're fielding

Yeah it is hilarious. Good thing not a single person is even insinuating that. 

But playing even a smidge better than Tannehill is? I like his odds

and you are the one who says I make up arguments lol