Hindsight 2020 Tannehill vs Brady Debate

Titans fan 617

Question I've ben thinking about.
Would you trade/Could we trade...
Russell Wilson and an couple? of 1st's for Tanny?

Russ has done with less than we have. 

If Tanny is to get what next season? Almost $30-40 Million?

I don't think it's a Brady vs. Tanny thing. Brady would have died behind this line. 

I think it's just a conversation now about whether we should keep him next year at that number. 

We need to get Vrabel a top tier qb. Idk how we do it. But we can’t waste his coaching on the Tannehills of the world. I love Tannehill. He is tough. A very able qb. Just someone who needs too much around him to be perfect to win that one we are looking for. If we have to make a Rams type move to get a qb, or do something risky in the draft. Idk what it is. Make it happen. But barring some Tanny pinnacle moment in the playoffs(a la, Eli or Joe Flacco run), I think we really need to start thinking about some succession. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think it's a Brady vs. Tanny thing. Brady would have died behind this line. 

I think it's just a conversation now about whether we should keep him next year at that number. 

If we have a chance to get a legit upgrade at QB and get Ryan off our hands, absolutely 

Tyler Huntley nearly 300 all purpose yards and 4 touchdowns against GB

On a team that’s also been very banged up 

I’m ready to move on from Ryan Tannehill. Odds are there will never be the “perfect scenario” in which he can remain productive and efficient, so that means we won’t be winning a SB with him 

edit - and miss me with any prisoner of the moment/emotional crap. I’ve question RTs ability to shoulder the load from the jump and even advocated for him to have that chance. Injuries and OL have been awful, but so has Ryan. 

Edited by deeluxx3

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Brady brings a lot more with him. Not a lot of free agents knocking down the door to play with Tanny. As far as Tanny, what team in their right mind would take on that contract for Tannehill? Russell is likely gone but if they move Russell, they’re likely on the rebuild and taking on Tannehill with that contract… not happening.

30 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Tyler Huntley nearly 300 all purpose yards and 4 touchdowns against GB

On a team that’s also been very banged up 

I’m ready to move on from Ryan Tannehill. Odds are there will never be the “perfect scenario” in which he can remain productive and efficient, so that means we won’t be winning a SB with him 

edit - and miss me with any prisoner of the moment/emotional crap. I’ve question RTs ability to shoulder the load from the jump and even advocated for him to have that chance. Injuries and OL have been awful, but so has Ryan. 

lol sorry but the huntley bit (and only the huntley bit!) is absolutely prisoner-of-the-moment. guys who flash like huntley almost always end up coming down to earth and settling in as high-end backup types. we saw it with heinecke last year into this year. sure there's a chance he's the next big thing, but it's overwhelmingly likely that he's just a spot starter who has had a couple good games.

now, the broader point about likely never being able to provide a "perfect" scenario for tannehill- that i absolutely agree with. it's always a more difficult bet to build a team this way than striking on a true franchise QB, but that's the rub- you have to strike on a franchise QB to make moving on worth your while. we thought tannehill could potentially transcend, and it's clear now that he can't. so sure, start planning for the future, try to find another guy- but moving on from tannehill without a plan and putting all our hopes on another journeyman like a huntley will almost certainly leave us in the exact same place we are now. ultimately, we'll likely have to either sell the farm for a top QB prospect, or (the less fun version) the team will collapse once tannehill and henry are over the hill and things will get ugly enough that we'll be in place for one. it's a tough road ahead.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

lol sorry but the huntley bit (and only the huntley bit!) is absolutely prisoner-of-the-moment. guys who flash like huntley almost always end up coming down to earth and settling in as high-end backup types. we saw it with heinecke last year into this year. sure there's a chance he's the next big thing, but it's overwhelmingly likely that he's just a spot starter who has had a couple good games.

now, the broader point about likely never being able to provide a "perfect" scenario for tannehill- that i absolutely agree with. it's always a more difficult bet to build a team this way than striking on a true franchise QB, but that's the rub- you have to strike on a franchise QB to make moving on worth your while. we thought tannehill could potentially transcend, and it's clear now that he can't. so sure, start planning for the future, try to find another guy- but moving on from tannehill without a plan and putting all our hopes on another journeyman like a huntley will almost certainly leave us in the exact same place we are now. ultimately, we'll likely have to either sell the farm for a top QB prospect, or (the less fun version) the team will collapse once tannehill and henry are over the hill and things will get ugly enough that we'll be in place for one. it's a tough road ahead.

The point about Huntley is more toward our coaching staff, showing that lesser QBs are able to produce good numbers (even for a game) with an overall lack of talent surrounding them. Going to my point about how we couldn’t find a single way to get the ball into Julio’s hands before he went down for the 90th time. Somehow Marc Andrews and Marquise Brown both got the ball ten times with largely mediocre surrounding talent. 

But even if it was solely attributed to Tannehill, what’s the difference between Ryan and a guy like Heinicke at this point? If anyone has come back down to earth, it’s Ryan Tannehill.

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

The point about Huntley is more toward our coaching staff, showing that lesser QBs are able to produce good numbers (even for a game) with an overall lack of talent surrounding them. Going to my point about how we couldn’t find a single way to get the ball into Julio’s hands before he went down for the 90th time. Somehow Marc Andrews and Marquise Brown both got the ball ten times with largely mediocre surrounding talent. 

But even if it was solely attributed to Tannehill, what’s the difference between Ryan and a guy like Heinicke at this point? If anyone has come back down to earth, it’s Ryan Tannehill.

i mean, that's kind of my point. do you really just want to be cycling to the next heinecke year after year like the WFT or panthers or whatever? the devil we know, etc etc. my point is: if we have a chance to grab a QB we really like, absolutely take it. but just tossing tannehill aside and rolling the dice on some other rando would be stupid.

Just to be clear, the “perfect” situation that we constantly refer to for Tannehill is literally the situation that Brady is in. Great defense, two elite receivers, a trio of competent tight ends, blend of multi-dimensional backs and arguably the best pass blocking line in football.

We’d be better with Brady. Mainly because Brady would’ve stepped in with more personnel and scheme say. Which means we’d be less likely to be stuck with the current construction of our offense. If we just blindly dropped him into our offense, in its current state, it’d still be garbage.

Just now, -Hope- said:

i mean, that's kind of my point. do you really just want to be cycling to the next heinecke year after year like the WFT or panthers or whatever? the devil we know, etc etc. my point is: if we have a chance to grab a QB we really like, absolutely take it. but just tossing tannehill aside and rolling the dice on some other rando would be stupid.

All I said was that I was ready to move on from Ryan. It’s up to JRob to figure out the right way to handle that 

we are in QB purgatory with him. I’m a fan of Robinson’s “better to move on a year early than a year late” philosophy. Even at the most important position on the field … I can’t help but think it’s time to move on from the guy. We’ve squeezed all we can out of him. That’s just where I’m at with Ryan. He’s a system QB in a league where your offense’s best player needs to be your QB.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

Just to be clear, the “perfect” situation that we constantly refer to for Tannehill is literally the situation that Brady is in. Great defense, two elite receivers, a trio of competent tight ends, blend of multi-dimensional backs and arguably the best pass blocking line in football.

We’d be better with Brady. Mainly because Brady would’ve stepped in with more personnel and scheme say. Which means we’d be less likely to be stuck with the current construction of our offense. If we just blindly dropped him into our offense, in its current state, it’d still be garbage.

Tom Brady is also the best QB of all time and having that player inevitably helps hide some weaknesses, even if it’s just a little bit 

I mean, Tannehill legit has not had one great game this year. Not one. If Vrabel has his finger on the pulse, which I think he does, and this continues through the end of the year and we make an early playoff exit, you have to believe, some sort of off-season plan or idea will be in place to get a younger guy or attempt at one of the rumored qbs to move.